Red Light Cameras Cause Accidents.

Draco-REX

How about assholes dont run them anyway?

Or how about STOP BLOCKING INTERSECTIONS WAITING FOR THE LIGHT TO TURN RED SO YOU CAN TURN.

If that was a law like in Cali, I would sit and write tickets ALL DAY long for that shit. I cant stand idiots that do that.

Or how about STOP BLOCKING INTERSECTIONS WAITING FOR THE LIGHT TO TURN RED SO YOU CAN TURN.

If that was a law like in Cali, I would sit and write tickets ALL DAY long for that shit. I cant stand idiots that do that.

This man speaks the truth!

Its annoying but have you ever been at an intersection where the only chance you'll get to turn in traffic is to do this? Intersection of Sawmill and Hard comes to mind, during rush hour of course.

Do you mean cars that are out in the turn lane waiting for either a break in the traffic or the light to turn so the other cars stop so they can go? If so, I don't mind that. I do it, we all do. What I HATE are people that straight up block driveways or other roads that aren't intersections or the assholes that run the light after it's turned red because they don't want to wait their turn. Any asshole that runs a light like that and gets stuck out in the intersection because the lane of traffic they were turning into is now stopped, automatically gets my car right up next to their door/fender/whatever with me blaring on the horn screaming at them. I'd like to think that alone will make them think twice about sneaking through that turn after the light has turned... :mad:

Do you mean cars that are out in the turn lane waiting for either a break in the traffic or the light to turn so the other cars stop so they can go? If so, I don't mind that. I do it, we all do. What I HATE are people that straight up block driveways or other roads that aren't intersections or the assholes that run the light after it's turned red because they don't want to wait their turn. Any asshole that runs a light like that and gets stuck out in the intersection because the lane of traffic they were turning into is now stopped, automatically gets my car right up next to their door/fender/whatever with me blaring on the horn screaming at them. I'd like to think that alone will make them think twice about sneaking through that turn after the light has turned... :mad:

Werd. I hate this. Sitting in the intersection waiting for the light to turn so you can go, doesn't bother me.

What the study doesn't say is the length of time they monitored these intersections, they don't investigate it long enough at all. It's been done before in several other states. While rear end accidents go up something like 600% at these intersections with cameras it's only temporary, after some time the accident rate at these intersections decreases considerably and the study doesn't actually cover the long term affect, hell it doesn't give any time frame of how long they studied this.

There was a big article about this in Sport Compact Car and several other magazines when this was first starting up in California. The other issue that has been mentioned here in Cbus is if a ticket is issued and the owner is not driving and who the responsibility falls to in certain situations.

That study does say that it's a fact that red light running has been on the decrease for years in Florida and it's probably the same most other places and I personally agree with their belief that it's just another way of generating extra cash.

How about the city fix those fucking lights so there's an arrow or that more than three damn cars can go through them.

Ever drive on Sawmill during the morning or evening. You'll never turn left in a timely fashion as the arrows are way too fucking short and lights without them are totally out of place as there's no way to make it though the oncoming traffic. Time the lights so that N & S Bound traffic can clear out and then the left turn lights can work.

I see it all the time. 3-5 cars turn left on red because of this and the city can't figure out why there are so many accidents. Note, Billingsley/Sawmill area and up towards the BP at that light....Hard Road from Southbound Sawmill. I could go on but won't.

Personally it pisses me off when fuckers just sit right at the line and don't move into the intersection on a green/yeild. Instead they sit there and when the light goes yellow, traffic stacks up even further. It flows much better when 1-2 cars are in the intersection able to turn and then keep the flow.

Now on the overpass of that big ass intersection, I kinda see your point, but it's an easy fix if the city would time the fucking lights correctly. What happens now is folks enter the intersection, get stuck because both the lights up ahead and the opposite lights in the intersection are timed wrong.

Or how about STOP BLOCKING INTERSECTIONS WAITING FOR THE LIGHT TO TURN RED SO YOU CAN TURN..

exactly! my point being made before I read your post. exactly what I'm talking about.

Its annoying but have you ever been at an intersection

where the only chance you'll get to turn in traffic is to do this? Intersection of Sawmill and Hard comes to mind, during rush hour of course.

I read somewhere that municipalities that have installed red light cameras also have significantly shorter yellow light cycles. I can't remember which report it was, but I heard a statistic that showed that by lengthening the yellow light cycle I think it was 2 seconds before it turns red, the right angle crashes in intersections are reduced by as much or more than with red light cameras. The stated intent of these cameras is/was to reduce right angle crashes in intersections, the revenue is sort of a by-product. What they don't report on is that in many of the jurisdictions that incorporate red light cameras into their traffic systems, the yellow light cycle is shorter than the nhtsa recommended minimum. Obviously in those cases, revenue is the primary motivator, and the ones who haven't shortened the yellow cycle just haven't admitted why the cameras are there.

Apparently a study in florida has found that people slamming on their brakes to avoid a red light camera can cause an accident.. Whodathunkit?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080311151159.htm

Virginia Dept of Transportation completed a study that shows that the right angle crashes did reduce in intersections with red light cameras active, but rear end accidents increased by a comparable amount.

Found the VDOT report:

2007 Virginia DOT Report Shows Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents

A new Virginia Department of Transportation study shows accidents increased by nearly a third where red light cameras were used.

The Virginia Transportation Research Council today released a report expanding upon earlier research into the safety effects of red light cameras in Virginia. The new study, funded by the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration, provided a city-by-city assessment that showed significant increases in the number of injuries and accidents at intersections employing photo enforcement.

The change in the frequency of injury accidents varied widely among jurisdictions -- down 5 percent in one but up between 6 and 89 percent in all others. Even within a jurisdiction some intersections fared better than others. In Fairfax County, for example, the total number of crashes increased at every intersection with a camera, except for one -- Route 50 and Fair Ridge. VDOT increased the duration of the yellow light from 4 seconds to 5.5 seconds on August 12, 1998. Research by the Texas Transportation Institute confirmed that longer yellows yield significant accident reductions. Overall, the data in the VTRC report painted a grim picture consistent with prior, independent investigations.

"The cameras were associated with an increase in total crashes. Arlington and Fairfax County saw significant increases, Falls Church and Vienna saw non significant increases, and Fairfax City saw a nonsignificant decrease."

Although it is now widely accepted that red light cameras are associated with increases in the number of rear end collisions, the VTRC report did not solely attribute the overall increase in accidents and injuries to this type of collision. Angle collisions also increased.

"Cameras were associated with an increase of between 31 percent and 54 percent for rear-end crashes overall," the report found. "The association of the cameras with angle crashes differed among jurisdictions, although a preponderance of test results suggested an increase."

Contrary to industry claims, this was not a temporary phenomenon.

"The cameras were not associated with a decrease in rear-end crashes over time after the initial increase that followed camera installation," the report found.

Red light cameras were authorized in Virginia between 1995 and 2005. After a two year battle with municipal lobbyists and the insurance industry, the Virginia state legislature re-authorized the use of red light cameras.

Yeap I'll slide to a stop everytime down on 4th st. When I'm approaching one that I can see is going to turn (crosswalk lights blinking) I usually creep up to them slowly. I've seen assholes go around me, honk (finger waving,) and even do a burnout just in time to run the red light and get a ticket. I love driving around town for a living:-)

Evan

Wease said exactly what I do. Pull right up next to them and lay on the horn. I also enjoy revving the motor at them just to scare them a bit.

Sadly most people dont feel or even know they have done anything wrong. Pisses me off.

Someone pulls up next to me at the wrong time and lays on a horn there getting dragged out of there car and made to understand some shit. I hate that shit and its usually some dumb ass commuter that doesn't know the rules, is on a cell phone, and I see it the most in intersections where 2 lanes turn left or right and the dumbass is unable to stay in their lane. They usually think I"m in their way.

Evan

Someone pulls up next to me at the wrong time and lays on a horn there getting dragged out of there car and I'm going to get shot.

Evan

\

or

Someone pulls up next to me at the wrong time and lays on a horn there I'm going to get run over when I get out.

Evan

Fixed

Yep tough guy syndrome, You would never get to pull me out of my car hoss. My car's front end > you out of your vehicle.

Not to start an e-fight boss, but I'd consider the person using their horn as the "tough guy" and they are hiding behind a car and a horn to express their opinion. Just like us and our keyboards now:-) Besides how does the guy using the horn know he's not going to get shot. I'd just ignore them and move on. Its much safer.

Oh and I agree with the dude that was pissed about getting posts edited. Though I know you guys can do what ever you want its not a very classy thing for mods to do.

Evan

Not to start an e-fight boss, but I'd consider the person using their horn as the "tough guy" and they are hiding behind a car and a horn to express their opinion. Just like us and our keyboards now:-)

Oh and I agree with the dude that was pissed about getting posts edited. Though I know you guys can do what ever you want its not a very classy thing for mods to do.

Evan

Dude I am not hiding behind anything, if someone got out of their car in a threatening manor, I am not going to "let" you pull me out of the car. I'm not sticking around to see what you want and you better be quick. It's that plain and simple. If you think anyone is going to just let you pull them out of their car and kick their ass you are mistaken.

BTW I didn't edit his posts and never will. I agree. Why was this brought up?

Dude I am not hiding behind anything, if someone got out of their car in a threatening manor, I am not going to "let" you pull me out of the car. I'm not sticking around to see what you want and you better be quick. It's that plain and simple. If you think anyone is going to just let you pull them out of their car and kick their ass you are mistaken.

BTW I didn't edit his posts and never will. I agree. Why was this brought up?

Agreed. The most I've ever done is a 'stern look', anything more than that and its all just tough guy bullshit that escalates way too quick. It turns into a retarded game of one-upsmanship. Guy1 honks his horn in dissapproval, guy2 gets out with a baseball bat, guy1 pulls his ccw while his family is in the car in an act of self defense. Its all retarded and never ends up good. Just avoid the situation and the confrontation all together by keeping to yourself.

I totally agree with this...the one time someone got out of their car to try to "teach me a lesson" he ended up picking gravel out of his teeth. Get out of your car and charge ME, and I'm gunning it out of there. If you're in the way, tough shit.

The only time I ever got out of my vehicle on someone else, he was stupid enough to try it himself. I'm pretty sure I broke his leg when I kicked the door shut on it. That's what happens when you throw a full 2 liter of water at my car on the interstate.

If you get out of a car, you better be GODDAM SURE that you can handle the shit that's gonna happen.

Just heard today on the radio that a news paper had an article about Dallas Texas halting operation of a lot of their cameras. The reason was stated that they were to expensive to operate since everyone learned to stop at street lights and they were no longer generating enough revenue. I have no idea if its true or which paper it was, but I'm sure it can be searched.

Evan