Looking for my first bike

ODoyle

Im a bigger guy 6'5" and 350lbs im looking for a bike thats around $3500..the only things im really not looking for is something like a busa or a high displacement street bike i will die on.just something to learn with

I learned on a 94 FZR600R, not the fastest or the best looking but it did alright by me. I fit fine being 6'6'' and around 210 on it, but go with what i comfortable under you. go sit on some used bikes at cycle search around your price range and get a feel for what you like

I've got a 2000 SV-650s sitting in my garage I'm selling for a friend priced under $3000. It's a half-faired V-twin so its got the extra grunt down low to help with your weight. IMHO, SV's are the best starter bike period, you can do anything with them and usually sell them for about what you paid.

i was leaning more towards a cruiser because of my lack of experience but i have always wanted a street bike i sat on some hondas at the marysville store while my car was being serviced i really liked the cruisers..i think i want a cruiser..i dont really have a brand preference or mileage just something that can get me going and not seem like im sitting on moped

I bought my first bike a couple years ago after taking the MSF course. My criteria were similar to yours except I am more average size. I rode several sport bikes and just couldn't get used to them. Personally, most cruisers don't do much for me so I wasn't interested in those. I really wanted a Honda ST1300 or other sport tourer, but they were outside of my budget.

I bought a 1975 Honda CB750 and am very happy with it. It fits my adolescent image of what a bike should look like, and the orange metallic paint is very '70's. It is a classic bike so it doesn't have some of the niceties of newer ones, and the seat gets uncomfortable after a couple hours, but it is easy to ride and gets attention where ever I go. I paid $1000 for it, and have another $1000 in it to replace a couple of things, rebuild the carbs, etc.

I just traded a car for another classic bike, a 1975 GL1000 Goldwing. This is not like the current Goldwings; it is a naked bike, and (I think) very cool. At the time, it was the second quickest production bike made. It is a bit more contemporary than the CB750 as it has shaft drive and better brakes.

The thing with older bikes is that 1) they are old and you need to stay on top of them, and 2) you need to get one that has been reasonably well cared for otherwise it will be a money pit. If you are the type that takes your car in for all maintenance and repairs, then I would not recommend a classic bike. But, if you are reasonably good with cars, then classic bikes can be bunches of fun.

There is a very good write up somewhere on "How to Buy a Used Motorcycle" that I used, but I can't remember where.

Good luck!

Rich