Another Legal Question...

iwishiwascool

I haven't called my lawyer yet... Nor have I looked it up myself.

I was followed on Saturday morning by an officer for about a quarter mile. I pulled into my parking spot at the office in a private parking lot at which time the officer flipped on the lights and told me to stay in my car. I was ticketed for having expired tags (oops... I got my sticker later that day)... that's all the ticket was for.

Is it legal to be cited for improper registration in a private parking lot?

no you can not be cited for it on private property, the only time would be if it was on the side of the road.

This is why you do not need a license or tags to drive on your own property. Im sure in his report he will say that he had his lights on before you got onto the private property.

Also Ken, if it gets to the point you could always request to see a copy of the onboard dash camera. This could prove whether his lights were on and when they turned on.

I do believe I am going to fight it. The legal fees will run me close to the ticket cost though.

I got pulled over for it on Friday night at 2:30 in the AM, I'm sure to see if I was intoxicated. Obviously I wasn't, but he wrote the lack of registration ticket anyway. Less than 7 hours later I got tagged for it again. $200 of equipment violation tickets in 7 hours.

Bad luck.

Also Ken, if it gets to the point you could always request to see a copy of the onboard dash camera. This could prove whether his lights were on and when they turned on.

Even pleading not guilty to this ticket.. in Franklin County.. will NEVER get that far for a simple tag violation. They would rather dismiss it for cost than utilize court and judge time for something this simple. A judge would never hear this case that far.

And since this was a non moving violation it wont count on any insurance, nor will it add points to his license.

IMO I don't think it matters where you were when you got stopped or were written the ticket. If he witnessed you on the road with an expired tag, he could pull you over in your own driveway and write you up.

Now if your car was in your garage or in the driveway sitting without a tag on it and you never rolled into the road, then that's a different story.

I haven't called my lawyer yet... Nor have I looked it up myself.

I was followed on Saturday morning by an officer for about a quarter mile. I pulled into my parking spot at the office in a private parking lot at which time the officer flipped on the lights and told me to stay in my car. I was ticketed for having expired tags (oops... I got my sticker later that day)... that's all the ticket was for.

Is it legal to be cited for improper registration in a private parking lot?

IMO I don't think it matters where you were when you got stopped or were written the ticket. If he witnessed you on the road with an expired tag, he could pull you over in your own driveway and write you up.

Now if your car was in your garage or in the driveway sitting without a tag on it and you never rolled into the road, then that's a different story.

Exactly :)

I like the ones that try and sneak into a driveway to avoid being stopped. Ive had the enjoyment of impounding vehicles out of driveways many times :asshole:

Unless the parking lot extends from your house to your work, he's got you. All he had to do was witness your operation of the car on public streets. Where he actually gave you the ticket is pretty much irrelevant, it's where the offense occured that matters.

This is what I was assuming.

Since the court date is for both is on the same day, anyone think I could bargain them down to one violation?

This is what I was assuming.

Since the court date is for both is on the same day, anyone think I could bargain them down to one violation?

Ya I dont think youll have any problems getting it down to just one. Thats really some bad luck getting hit twice.

And since this was a non moving violation it wont count on any insurance, nor will it add points to his license.

How sure are you on this? Insurance agencies have their own system to issue points for violations. The ones i have talked to told me it doesnt matter if it has moving violations or not?

How sure are you on this? Insurance agencies have their own system to issue points for violations. The ones i have talked to told me it doesnt matter if it has moving violations or not?

Ive never heard of an insurance company that will up rate for just random violations on your record. Wouldnt be too fair if you could get screwed over even more for a muffler violation, seatbelt or an improper plate/sticker display.