+1 for carmax at sawmill

ODoyle

I went there to get my Land Rover appraised and there was a waitlist of about 45 minutes so i was warmly greeted and told i was free to look around and someone would be out to find me when it was my turn so about 15 minutes later a gentleman by the name of luke came and shook my hand introduced himself and asked me how he could help me.We went out and tagged the car and went into his office and put some info into his computer and after the vehicle was appraised he came and explaned all the fields that they look at when buying a car and so forth i was offered $1200 for my land rover. i was hoping for more in the 2000 dollar area but it has to go so 1200 it is

+1 to carmax for great CS

Guest mrhobbz
I went there to get my Land Rover appraised and there was a waitlist of about 45 minutes so i was warmly greeted and told i was free to look around and someone would be out to find me when it was my turn so about 15 minutes later a gentleman by the name of luke came and shook my hand introduced himself and asked me how he could help me.We went out and tagged the car and went into his office and put some info into his computer and after the vehicle was appraised he came and explaned all the fields that they look at when buying a car and so forth i was offered $1200 for my land rover. i was hoping for more in the 2000 dollar area but it has to go so 1200 it is

+1 to carmax for great CS

Last time I went to carmax... I walked off the lot laughing. Gotta love all of their 7g cars for no less than 10 grand..

Guest mrhobbz
carmax told my dad his 03 lexus gs430 was worth 12k. He left pretty abruptly.

Yeah carmax is a joke.. Selling 03 ford tauras's for 10,5 with high milage you have to be kidding me. And their 02 elantra they had for $12,100 when i was there made me go ROFL!

Guest Spoiler71
Last time I went to carmax... I walked off the lot laughing. Gotta love all of their 7g cars for no less than 10 grand..

+1. Never been to a lot better at suckering people in.

They told my inlaws their 99 Odyssey in mint shape was worth about 1750 at most. They walked out laughing, needless to say. They sold it 3 weeks later for 9,000. Moral of the story, dont be so lazy and put a little effort and patience into selling something. Hell, a pawn shop would probably have given you more...

it's very likely they just didn't want the car for any number of reasons. they can't just buy every vehicle that comes in there. especially in todays market. may have been a nice van, but for them to take it in, put a warranty on it, service it and then try and sell it may not have made sense for their market. we may not agree, but then it depends on their inventory and client.

They told my inlaws their 99 Odyssey in mint shape was worth about 1750 at most. They walked out laughing, needless to say. They sold it 3 weeks later for 9,000. Moral of the story, dont be so lazy and put a little effort and patience into selling something. Hell, a pawn shop would probably have given you more...

-1 for carmax Dept (Kind of off topic)

I bought my 02 Nissan spec V from them 2 years ago In July was clean no problems paid 10k for it with 40k on it. They gave me 4k for my 03 Cavi so I got a good deal on the sale end. I put on a Intake and a catback exhaust. That September my car keeps stalling and wont rev higher than 2,500 and wouldt idle. So i take it back to have them look at it and they keep it for almost a week and say that my Cats had been hollowed out. I never messed with them I had just bought a new mid pipe with my header.(hadnt put it on though) So ending result was that I needed a new motor and I was 5g short of being able to afford it so it sat for 7 moths while I was gone with the military and when I got back It would run sometimes so on a good day I filled it with a case of nosmoke and traded it in on my Stang and got $6,000 :woowoo: for it . But Screw CarMax service Dept.

Couple of things here:

As someone in the business, I see what Carmax pays for vehicles at the auction. It's insane. If you pay big wholesale money, you have to ask big retail money.

Secondly, regarding this post. Thanks for what you did in the military, and I'm glad you "got over" on the guy who took your car in on trade.

However, this is a perfect example of why sometimes dealers must be conservative on trade allowances. Our cars have warranties and have been through the shop. You are asking me to pay ALL the money for a car I've spent maybe 5 minutes in. Little do I know how you have rigged your car to perform well for a short amount of time. Unfortunately, this happens too often and trade values are assessed with built in risk factors.

On the other hand, if you dont ask, you dont get. I don't blame anyone who asks for retail dollars for a trade in. Hell, I would. Just dont get offended when your offer is denied. It's just business. I only walk away from deals that DO NOT make sense.

Just my .02

One of my friends took an 03 Cadillac (STS, Deville? Something with the northstar V8 FWD) to Carmax, and this thing was loaded, every option, and driven by a granny, literally. Had about 30,000 miles on it over 4 years, perfect condition inside, out, and mechanically. They offered them ~$5000 when KBB was more than double for it for trade in price...

When I was car shopping in 06, every car I looked at was consistently at least $3-4k over what KBB retail was when all the other dealers were at or below KBB for comparable cars. Carmax FTL... Glad to hear it worked out for the OP though...

also a -1 for carmax...i went in there with my GTP that is worth in my eyes around $8k. and atleast $4500 on TRADE IN and they give me an offer just slightly over $2,000 :jerkit: yeah...i dont think so. fucking idiots is what they are

keep in mind that CarMax doesn't want car that old. They aren't the everyday car dealer as we all think. They have a profile of customer and car they want. if you have non-import car that's model year 2000 or older, they won't be very inclined to take it. that's a perfect small car lot car or buy here pay here car.

in your case, they likely shopped it to another dealer and got a buy figure over the phone.

not that you don't have a great car...I have a 99GTP still too. however, the market, the inventory and the area all come into play.

in todays market, lenders are tough and companies like car max have to tighten up on what they spend on cars and what inventory they carry. tying up money on your car limits what they can put in a late model unit. floor-plan costs come into play folks.

personally, I don't know much about their operations, but I do know the car business and given a simple buy-back, they would lose money on your car, especially considering they wouldn't stock it and would sell it to another dealer.

I don't have reports in hand but my guess is $2k-$4k wholesale on my 99 with 85k on the ODO. Fair condition is typical in that age. if you've worked on it and it's evident, then likey at the low end. no one wants to try an sell a modded or once modded car to the public at large.

also a -1 for carmax...i went in there with my GTP that is worth in my eyes around $8k. and atleast $4500 on TRADE IN and they give me an offer just slightly over $2,000 :jerkit: yeah...i dont think so. fucking idiots is what they are

Tripple Post Whore!

again, it's not that they are telling you the oddy your inlaws have isn't worth it overall, they are simply stating they don't want it.

take a look at their inventory on any given day and I bet you'll see the vast majority by far of Honda Oddy's are late model units. they are much better sellers at dealers than older ones.

they just dont' have a market for a several generation oddy like that. one big reason is financing. i bet your inlaws sold it to someone who stroked a check. folks with poor credit and or no money don't buy from private folks because they can't. they go to dealers who work low end credit deals.

I doubt car-max wants in the buy here pay here get-me-done business...and getting someone who is out searching for an old inexpensive mini-van and likely not able to finance the amount or come up with the money down it would take to buy that car on a note isn't who they are after.

once again, they can't and won't buy every car. Caddy here in Cbus would be very difficult for them to sell. Especially with two high end Caddy Dealers near each of their locations.

hell, nationwide, they don't stock that many and it's not like they are going to buy your friends Caddy and then take it across the country to sell it when they can likely buy the same exact car locally to that location.

cost wise, I'm not sure how you're comparing the cars they are selling, but corporate wide they advertise the KBB notes below each car they have listed...and since they are partners with KBB utilizing the same database, I can't think of why the numbers would be off in an apples to apples situation.

One of my friends took an 03 Cadillac (STS, Deville? Something with the northstar V8 FWD) to Carmax, and this thing was loaded, every option, and driven by a granny, literally. Had about 30,000 miles on it over 4 years, perfect condition inside, out, and mechanically. They offered them ~$5000 when KBB was more than double for it for trade in price...

When I was car shopping in 06, every car I looked at was consistently at least $3-4k over what KBB retail was when all the other dealers were at or below KBB for comparable cars. Carmax FTL... Glad to hear it worked out for the OP though...

I can see people being pissed about the price when there selling the car they love or modded, But i worked at carmax and i have seen the other side of the buying process for every person thats pissed about there offer there are 4 others that are happy with what they were offered so 1&5 people are pissed isnt bad...And you have to realize KBB doesnt mean shit...Will KBB cut you a check on the spot for your car...no no they wont!

Guest mrhobbz
I can see people being pissed about the price when there selling the car they love or modded, But i worked at carmax and i have seen the other side of the buying process for every person thats pissed about there offer there are 4 others that are happy with what they were offered so 1&5 people are pissed isnt bad...And you have to realize KBB doesnt mean shit...Will KBB cut you a check on the spot for your car...no no they wont!

KBB also wont sell you a car thats only worth 5g's for no less than 10 :\

No but you'll get tons of folks here asking $10k for a $5k with a few mods thinking that's it's increased in value due to being beat to death. :rolleyes: Flip side, I've never seen anyone get $10k for a $5k car without asking either....and dealers are out to make a profit...which is not a horrible thing. Don't ask, don't get.

Bottom line is a car is worth X dollars based on the market in the region....if you see a $10k car on Car Max's lot and feel it's only worth $5k, you don't have to buy that car...but show me as I'd be interested in seeing one. Keep in mind, regardless of what anyone thinks, everything is negotiable....try it....it works....even at Car Max....especially on trades.

I know that if I felt a car was worth X and they were asking Y or I was trading one in and it was lo-balled in my eyes, I'd certainly be asking questions. Haven't heard any answers to said questions here though....guess all the folks that are pissed just walked away without clarity. Can't imagine why they didn't get what they wanted. :rolleyes:

KBB also wont sell you a car thats only worth 5g's for no less than 10 :\

once again, they can't and won't buy every car. Caddy here in Cbus would be very difficult for them to sell. Especially with two high end Caddy Dealers near each of their locations.

hell, nationwide, they don't stock that many and it's not like they are going to buy your friends Caddy and then take it across the country to sell it when they can likely buy the same exact car locally to that location.

cost wise, I'm not sure how you're comparing the cars they are selling, but corporate wide they advertise the KBB notes below each car they have listed...and since they are partners with KBB utilizing the same database, I can't think of why the numbers would be off in an apples to apples situation.

That's fine that they didn't want to buy it because it would be hard to sell, they can just say that they have too many of those already, not lowball them. They traded it in to some other big dealer in town for 10k when they bought a different car, which they were looking to do at Carmax, but that killed the sale right there. (Carmax offer was $4500)

Also, when I was looking at Carmax before, they had a transfer program that if you found a car that you liked at another location, you paid Carmax's transfer fee and they would move it to the location of your choice.

As far as comparing cars, I mean same year/make/model/trim/condition/~mileage/options.

Mustang "A" is at Carmax and is a 2000/Ford/Mustang/GT/Good/82k miles/xx options. Making up numbers since it was almost two years ago since I priced Mustangs, let's say Carmax wanted $10,000.

Mustang "B" is at another full size dealer and is a 2000/Ford/Mustang/GT/Good/80k miles/same options and the dealer had it for $6000, which (again, guessing) the KBB for these two cars is roughly $6000.

That's what I meant... :thumbup:

Glad to hear Carmax worked out well for some of you. I'm sure stranger things have happened, I just wanted to warn people about what I've experienced and one of several of the stories that I've heard from people I know personally... ;)

Like I saud I bought from CarMax, 3 months later blow engine on a factory Defect..... They said I hollowed out the cat... This was the factory defect the cats on the Spec Vs break up and get bounced around and into up into the exhaust ports..... but dumb ass service department didnt look into factory defects and put a warnning out on my cars vin to the warrenty companies for "me voiding the warrenty". So f*** Carax in their stupid ass'.