When will "summer" gas be at the pumps?

Stampede

chad I assume you're asking when they would go back to a pure gasoline and not an ethanol blend (typically called winter gas)?

I thought that a year or so ago that they agreed to run the ethanol blend all year round? Hence....never would be your answer. :(

I heard a "rumor" yesterday that the Teamsters were maybe going on strike. Anyone know more about this as a possibility?

Quick google search brings this: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46207

I heard the same thing.. from a trucker. he said this is the most he has heard of strike ever. Dude was like 50 years old.

edit: he said something about april 3rd.

I have been told that a similar strike happened a few years back or something. I guess there was a truck that stopped at a local lumber yard here and someone shot the drive tires out on it.

Maybe Ben can fill us in a little more on it. He's a truck driver.

I don't have much info on it off the top of my head and unfortunately don't have the time to look it up. But if I remember right the Energy Bill of 2005-ish mandated ethanol content in US fuels and it increases for the next few years. I believe part of this was to also stop the summer/winter fuels and switch to a standard ethanol content in fuels.

This also sucks for those of us in the F/I community because ethanol content fuels tend to run leaner and don't have the same specific power available as pure gasoline.

anybody here remember more details than me?

I don't have much info on it off the top of my head and unfortunately don't have the time to look it up. But if I remember right the Energy Bill of 2005-ish mandated ethanol content in US fuels and it increases for the next few years. I believe part of this was to also stop the summer/winter fuels and switch to a standard ethanol content in fuels.

This also sucks for those of us in the F/I community because ethanol content fuels tend to run leaner and don't have the same specific power available as pure gasoline.

anybody here remember more details than me?

E85 has less BTU, but will produce more power at it's stoic (9.7:1)

E85 has less BTU, but will produce more power at it's stoic (9.7:1)

as always you're correct Nate, I was just referring to persons like me who unknowingly will get ethanol content in their cars when they haven't been tuned for it, which given the same fuel put into the motor will make the car run more lean.

as always you're correct Nate, I was just referring to persons like me who unknowingly will get ethanol content in their cars when they haven't been tuned for it, which given the same fuel put into the motor will make the car run more lean.

I don't think I was correct since I misunderstood the post ;)

While the car is in closed loop (cruise, idle, light load), you'll still be operating at stoic. O2 sensors generally read, "lambda" which 1.00 corrolates to the stoic point of any fuel.

You are dead nuts on when you mention a lean condition when using OL tables calibrated for gasoline. Most forced induced platforms run .80-.82 lambda under full load/WOT conditions. Using regular premium grade's stoic point, that is about 11.7-12.0 AFR. If you have E85 in your tank, and you do not/can not change the stoic ratio in your wideband software/ecu the gasoline equivalentwill be 7.76:1 to 7.95:1

The octane rating at the pump of mixed gasoline should be certified before shipment, however that doesn't exclude it from introduction of foriegn chemicles in transport & storage.

We'll say you stop somewhere that has a 10% eth mix. Your stoic ratio will change to 14.13:1, meaning your OL/WOT AFR (.80-.02 Lambda) will be 11.30-11.58.

If I'm not mistaken, there is still a difference between winter & summer gas blends besides the previously added ethynol content.

EDIT: Found a decent article. http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2374

I still personally observe a fairly decent difference even last year summer vs winter gas.

The comments contain a decent amount of info, as well.