does anyone have their A & P license(I.E. aircraft mechanic) that could help me out?

Ry_Trapp01647545522

after a lot of research on different career fields, i decided that i would really like to become an aircraft mechanic. i know there are 2 paths you can take to get your A & P license(go to school for it or a sort of apprenticeship for 18 months per license), and i would really like to earn my experience working for a company instead of going to school for it. what are the possibilities of getting hired on by a company(private charter jets or something like that) to get the required training for the license? would i be better off just going to school for it? i know of one school right to the south west of I270(columbus state community college/aviation maintenance technology) if that is the better option. any other info/advice would be great too.
  • Confused 1

I've been in Naples getting my private pilot license from an A&P, who is also is a pilot for one of the wealthy families here in town...really nice guy. Anyway, I'm not sure what jobs are available in Columbus when you graduate, but I've heard that there is a TON of demand for A&P mechanics in Florida just because of the huge number of general aviation planes and private/corporate jets registered here.

It's a great field to get into with a lot of promise for a great career when you get out. Easy to make money running your own business too!

There is basically one place in town to use this, Netjets. So if this is what you want to do, you will have to move for it.

Maybe you should look at the highest demand area and see if you can get an apprenticeship there.

Alot of the companies around here are cutting back their flying trips. The dowside is the they are furlowing their pilots and some are even selling their planes.

I have my pilots license and so do quite a few people I know. It is a pretty hard industry for jobs right now.

• Confused 1

Lane Aviation is also private and hiring. Columbus State has a good program at Bolton Field in Grovecity that takes 18 months aprox. The 45 week courses you have to be careful of. One of the mechanics I worked with had his license pulled because the "school" he went to was not accredited with the FAA. (Lots of these types of schools are in Florida, so check them out pretty well) Heres a link to search approved schools.

http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp

yea, i was planning on going to the program at bolton field since its not too far away and it seems like a good place.

lane aviation may be hiring now, but would they be hiring me 18 months from now? right now that is my concern about this, not being able to get a job. if i dont end up doing this, i think i'm gonna become a machinest. (from what i've researched)the pay isn't quite as good as A&P, but its definatly something i'm interested in.

yea, i was planning on going to the program at bolton field since its not too far away and it seems like a good place.

lane aviation may be hiring now, but would they be hiring me 18 months from now? right now that is my concern about this, not being able to get a job. if i dont end up doing this, i think i'm gonna become a machinest. (from what i've researched)the pay isn't quite as good as A&P, but its definatly something i'm interested in.

Pretty much all the people out at Bolton are good people. That is where I fly out of whenever I get the itch to rent a plane.

im currently going for my a&p at cscc. my understanding is the "apprentice" thing is only a repair station certificate. in laymans terms if you leave that shop it does not follow you where as your a&p cert. is yours and goes with you. call down to the bolton feild branch and talk to jeff gruber. he is very informativ. Also, getting a job is not hard but you're not going to be in columbus if you want a job.

the problem is that i really dont want to move to far from newark(friends/family). would i have to move somewhere else to get a job in this field?

Not necessarily. It would definitely open up better job opportunities if you did look outside of the state, though!

the problem is that i really dont want to move to far from newark(friends/family). would i have to move somewhere else to get a job in this field?

Boeing research is right in Heath. Very secure stuff they are very strict about what you can do and where you can go there. Pretty cool development stuff.

-----Meg posting

If you're interested in commercial aviation, PM me. I have worked for Republic Airways at Port Columbus for over 4 years now. We operate aircraft for 6 major airlines. Republic is actually comprised of three companies, and two of them operate here in Columbus (Chautauqua Airlines, and Shuttle America). They have been here for eight years now, and I can't imagine them going anywhere anytime soon. We are actually expanding our current hangar (again). I work overnight flight line maintenance, but Columbus is also the Heavy Maintenance base (C checks - this is where they tear the plane down to nothing, inspect everything and then put it back together). When I started, we had 75 aircraft, now we have well over 200. Most people say either Lane or Netjets are the only aviation jobs in Columbus, not knowing about us or American Eagle.

I'd listen to Matt, but also check out Embry-Riddle University http://www.Embry-Riddle.com.

They have a campus near Wright-Pat that opened in 2005. I've heard that starting salaries for A&P's can be $40k or more depending on where you go. For more information, contact Jan Anderson at (937) 878-3728 or wright.patterson.center@erau.edu.

again, thanks a ton guys! my first career attempt didnt quite work out(went to join the IBEW(electricians), hard as hell to get in to. wasn't all that interested in it but it was pretty good money, then it fell through), so i hoping this is the one. definatly something i would be interested in, and good pay to boot!

matt, you should have a PM shortly.