Need some opinions on VW 1.8t jettas(wolfsburg and GLI)

Rustlestiltskin

In my ever going quest for a nice daily I've came accross 2 nice jettas.

1st) 2001 wolfsburg edition 1.8t 5speed (Black exterior) 100k miles

2nd) 2005 GLI 1.8t 6speed (Red exterior) 70k miles

What should I look into when checking these 2 jettas out. what should I look out for as in pain in the ass things to come. basically whats the pros/cons of these 2 cars. I'm gonna be making my decision this week on which one I want so I hope you guys and fellow VW owners could shine some light on these 2 cars b/c even with me looking up info on the internet its never as good as first hand experience w/ these cars.

thanks guys, I can always count on all of ya giving good info! :)

-Paul :cool:

Timing belt/water pump

The GLI is a great looking car, and has less mileage, but will probably cost more. The GLI is the only 1.8T car I would get, other than that, I would get the VR6 cars.

+1

Also the front suspension, these also come with full size spares.

Make sure it has no check engine light lit.

New coil packs?..

I would buy it murder the windows out get a ecu flash and call it a day the advanced timing gives a good amount of extra gas miliage.

Im putting my jetta up for sale here shortly if your interested. However its not a 1.8t, its a GLS so its got a NA 2.0 with an automatic transmission. However it is the most dependable, most comfortable car Ive ever owned. I havent figured out a price yet, most likely whatever i owe on it and whatever the blue book price is then figure out a price in between.

Oh yeah, Ive always heard regular accesories like alternator's, water pumps, etc... are expensive as hell to replace and honestly ive always been a bit apprehensive about working on a newer vehicle like this (its an 05 w/ 48k) besides ive still got a manufacter warranty :)

I've had my '04.5 GLI for a little over a year now (bought with 40k, now 55k miles), and I could not be happier with it as a DD. Sporty ride, nice exterior styling, german interiors are sweet, and I get a solid 32mpg on the highway. There really aren't any major problems to watch out for, at least that I have ever heard of. All in all a very solid car...