Who wants to help me?

Twistedrx7

Guest mrhobbz
I learned on a kawa ninja 250 in a church parking lot. It didn't have a whole lot of get up and go but its real lightweight and easy to learn on. They can also be had for fairly cheap.

as i always say.. you can start out on any bike.. as long as you have your head on straight. and respect the bike.

but i do suggest buying used.. being a first bike. that way if you do lay it down you didnt just trash a a brand new bike.

go sit on everything you like and decide from there. and for gods sake go take the safety course..

you are going to hate my answer, but i have to say it, get a 600 or under. i dont care how many dirt bikes/atv's you road as a kid, i dont care what your friends have, i dont care how quick you want to get to 150mph. be smart enough to understand that you don't have to have the biggest baddest thing in town. we are talking about your life, and the life of people around you, family/friends included. there are mistakes you can't make on a liter bike that you can make on a 600. imo find a honda f3 600 that has fallen over a couple of times, that way you dont feel bad when you drop it in your driveway. they are quick, they turn more than you will ever lean, and they look ok. buy it right, ride it for a season or two, flip it for what you paid, then find something else.

tom

i dont know why everyone pushes people into low cc hideous bikes.. ok a 02 up 600cc bike not bad, but who wants to start out on a katana, or sv650. you basically loose money.. cause they are what they are.. junk bikes no one wants. or older 600cc bikes.. junk.

not everyone will wreck on there first bike.

my first bike was a 900rr. and i pushed it more than i should, but never laid it down. i could have been a tad smarter on it, and i know that now, but i respected the bike. and never did anything to drastic on it.

not everyone can jump on anythgin for the first time and be safe. but there are people who can. who just ask yourself "am i that person"

doesnt matter if that go fast wanna ride person is on a 250 ninja or an R1. if they dont respect the machine or themselves enough they will get hurt.

My first motorcycle of any kind is the one I still have which is a 2001 GSXR1000 with a few modifications. This is what I learned to ride on. I think my only saving grace is that I was 29 years old when I got my bike which I think kept me in check as I did not ride beyond my abilities. A 600 is probably a smarter choice. However, you can still get hurt. Today's 600 are pretty damn fast. Do not ride beyond your abilities even if it means hanging behind everyone else. It is simply not worth taken the chance.

Do not ride beyond your abilities even if it means hanging behind everyone else. It is simply not worth taken the chance.

and thats it.. DONT RIDE BEYOND YOUR ABILITY

and keep yourself in check

respect the bike.. and you can ride whatever you want.

you just have to do those things and youll be alright.

I can see where everyone is coming from. I see buying something as an investment. I really dont want to invest in something that really isnt going to be worth it in a few years.

Im not going to go out and hit 150 on the street or track. I know what it is like to have power behind the wheel of a car. I am not down with street racing anymore just because of past things that have happened. The rx7 is being transformed in my track car, so if i want to go fast i can use that.

I think it is all in the driver, if you push your limits too soon on something you are going to get hurt. If you get a feel for your bike than you can always increase things a little bit at a time. Not everyone lays their bike down when they first start out. accidents happen, controlled or uncontrolled.

I appreciate everyone looking out for my safety on things, i do plan on getting the proper gear. Im suprised no one mentioned that yet, over the actual bike itself?!

Just do what 75% of all the other ass hats in Cbus that have never owned a bike do and buy a BUSA! Cause they go 465mph and no one can ever beat you.

Above is my moment of sarcasm for the evening filled with somewhat statistical truth. Anyways I think you might be happier in the long run if you got a used 600. Look at the 02-03 GSXR. They are fuel injected, look good, plenty of power for what you need, lightweight, and can be found at a great price. a sportbike depreciates to much to ever be looked at as an investment. Although I see where you are coming from looking for the best deal for you pocket in the long run I believe that if you are truly interested in your decision on a long term basis you would consider buying a 600 as stated above and ride it for a season or two, learn the bike, learn riding, and also learn what you like and what you dislike in a motorcycle so then you can sell your 600 for near what you have in it after a year or two of riding to then only purchase exactly what you are looking for and not what you think you are looking for in terms of a motorcycle, therefore being the best deal for you on a long term ownership/investment.

Just do what 75% of all the other ass hats in Cbus that have never owned a bike do and buy a BUSA! Cause they go 465mph and no one can ever beat you.

Above is my moment of sarcasm for the evening filled with somewhat statistical truth. Anyways I think you might be happier in the long run if you got a used 600. Look at the 02-03 GSXR. They are fuel injected, look good, plenty of power for what you need, lightweight, and can be found at a great price. a sportbike depreciates to much to ever be looked at as an investment. Although I see where you are coming from looking for the best deal for you pocket in the long run I believe that if you are truly interested in your decision on a long term basis you would consider buying a 600 as stated above and ride it for a season or two, learn the bike, learn riding, and also learn what you like and what you dislike in a motorcycle so then you can sell your 600 for near what you have in it after a year or two of riding to then only purchase exactly what you are looking for and not what you think you are looking for in terms of a motorcycle, therefore being the best deal for you on a long term ownership/investment.

lol

<------first street bike lol

It really all depends on your goals with a bike, the problem is you probably don't know what they are right now. That's why you buy something cheap, small, and dependable.........like an SV and ride it for a bit while you figure it out.

If you decide you only want to pose, pick up chicks, or ride around town, then a liter bike will be a great first bike.

If you want to drag race, a liter bike..........certainly the Honda, may not be the best choice (the Zuk and Kaw can be though).

If you really want to learn to ride a sportbike at it's potential on the track, then the best choice (IMHO) is a 600-750. Liter bikes make you a lazy point and shoot rider. Their power is intoxicating and you will find yourself as a beginner overbraking for a corner and then wacking the throttle to catch the pack. This practice for a beginner will put you in great danger of a severe accident. On the contrary, a 600 doesn't have the power to launch from ever corner and you will learn to use their higher cornering speed to be smooth and fast at the track.

I've been riding for 11 years now, been on all kinds of rides and to all kinds of events. I still don't feel I can use 75% of my 600's capability and I feel I was faster on the SV I used to own.

Sorry, forgot about one of your original questions. Enroll in an ABATE class and they will teach you to ride in one weekend for $50. They do a better job than I could ever do.

Buy a 600 for no more than 4k. For 4k you can get a very nice bike. You dont need a liter bike cuz you wont use all of it. Most people that have them dont use all the power. Not to mention your insurance will be cheaper on a 600... and they are still VERY fast! Happy hunting!

When you get serious, CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY and get some quotes before you do anything (full coverage). For some people that eliminates them right off the bat. Now if you get a used cheaper bike, you should be able to afford liability without a problem....

As everyone else has stated, get a newer 600cc bike and take it easy. Go to the MSF course and learn the basics FIRST...

CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY and get some quotes before you do anything (full coverage).

Do you really recommend full coverage on a 3k bike? I am about to be buying insurance for a 3k bike and don't understand why you would want to pay $700 a year for a bike that is worth 3k. Just trying to get your opinion on this, not saying you are wrong, just curious.