where to go muddin' with impunity?

Science Abuse

If your interesting you can register for our Novice trail ride for next weekend down near Tar Hollow state park a little east of Circleville. We ask that people register so that we get a count of people. Its possible that its getting late to request the info packet and forms to mail back, but we can give them to you the day of the ride as long as we at least get an message that your coming.

Also the vehicle your driving needs to have a 4wd low range selection in your transfer case. Other than that anything goes.

http://www.ohio4x4.com

At the moment we have 20-25 vehicles coming for the ride at least one of which is a `07 FJ Cruiser. Guy must be nuts because its gonna get dirty and scratched to hell at the least and dented or broken in the worst case (hehe see I slipped my disclaimer in there.)

Besides the places my club rides which are legal township roads typically 2 hours from downtown columbus there aren't really any legal areas around to ride. Wish I had a hill I could at least point my truck up to tune my carberator on, but no go here in central ohio.

Evan

There a couple of places in central Ohio to have some fun at, nice place out on the east side one of which a friend of mine knows the owner of the land, so he does not mind that we go out there. Another place that is I think Grove City area behind a Wal-Mart around 23 and 270. PM for exact locations because I do not remember road names and things like that, or if you want others to go out with you.

We've talked about the place behind walmart a lot over the years in my club and its not a place to go if you want to stay out of trouble. They have stolen vehicle and trash dumping, and homeless camping going on down there. If you do happen to evade police and the security patrols in the parking lots then good for you. If you run into trouble like getting stuck and having to walk out then its very likely that your vehicle will be stripped and burned within hours. Yes its happened more than once.

Evan

The Tar Holler trip sounds cool as hell, but I'm not looking to get laughed at in my Subaru. :D Are there open trails down there, or just realy rough primitve roads?

I found a bit, but was only able to make one little run-through ( I know I was spotted). I got mud on the roof, though, so the car is officially christened.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8838/mudbw7.jpg

I need tires.

Ah yes. There are some roads down there that might be fun in a Subaru, but we only use them as connectors to the roads we consider trails. No trail we run on would be a smart place to take a car for sure since 31" tires are still to short when its wet out. My truck with 38" boggers still has me high centering in some places and I drag my axles quite a bit. Had to pound my diff covers back in to shape more than once.

Evan

If you want to break a couple rules...they are doing construction on Hannah Park and its a little fun to mess around in........Definately go on a rainy day though....I went today and only got a little muddy....but its a slim chance that anyone will rain on your parade. It's in Blacklick off Clark State rd.

The Tar Holler trip sounds cool as hell, but I'm not looking to get laughed at in my Subaru. :D Are there open trails down there, or just realy rough primitve roads?

I found a bit, but was only able to make one little run-through ( I know I was spotted). I got mud on the roof, though, so the car is officially christened.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8838/mudbw7.jpg

I need tires.

Looks like my Subie after I get home, our road is a complete mess.

Yeah that subie isn't going to make it in just about all the off road trails the 4x4 clubs use. I would love to join you guys this year at Tar Hollow, but with buying a house this year, the XJ mods have slowed down to just maintenance stuff. I hope to join one later this year or next.

Oh and the place behind Wal-Mart is a big no-no. They have picked up the security out there and the cops are patroling it because the owner finally raised enough hell about people doing that there.

Ah yes. There are some roads down there that might be fun in a Subaru, but we only use them as connectors to the roads we consider trails. No trail we run on would be a smart place to take a car for sure since 31" tires are still to short when its wet out. My truck with 38" boggers still has me high centering in some places and I drag my axles quite a bit. Had to pound my diff covers back in to shape more than once.

Evan

Well crap, I'll be rocking a 1/4" skid plate. :)

Do you take ride-alongs? :D I've been on rallies down there, but never on any trails like the ones you're discribing.

Frequently patroled, entry denied. :(

:p

well reconed eh.

Time for a suprise attack.

When i had my XJ i would just start driving around the local back roads and found tracks off the roads and patrol them weather they were 4wheeler trails or not. Might not be the best idea for your nice Scooby but its a start.

Well crap, I'll be rocking a 1/4" skid plate. :)

Do you take ride-alongs? :D I've been on rallies down there, but never on any trails like the ones you're discribing.

I do take ride-a-longs most every ride. Its either my wife or Mike most times. On this ride its supposed to be one of the guys from work, but he was up in the air last week. I usually end up finding out at the last minute (kinda sucky, but someone usually has a full jeep and gives me a passenger.)

Evan

^I need to come down there on a warm day, with all this rain it's gotta be muddy as hell out and we can see how far the Pathfinder can follow the Jeep!!!

Come on down. Lemme know when you do though. I need to put insurance back on the YJ before you come down.

there are alot of trails outside of millwood off 36 in knox county thats where i go we have one hill correctly named the widow maker cause rigs flip backwards all the time. i have never tried it cause i use my jeep tj as a daily driver but we have alot of challenging trails there some have big rocks to climb too. They are not trails for amature offroaders though and dont go by yourself.

there are alot of trails outside of millwood off 36 in knox county thats where i go we have one hill correctly named the widow maker cause rigs flip backwards all the time. i have never tried it cause i use my jeep tj as a daily driver but we have alot of challenging trails there some have big rocks to climb too. They are not trails for amature offroaders though and dont go by yourself.

Okay you got me interested. My truck really wants to see this one.

Evan

Evan

So I may as well forget it with stock 235/75-15 street tread tires on my 95 YJ then?I'am from chillicothe and grew up near tar hollow on charleston pike used to know every logging road there was there.May have to go out when it warms up and explore them again.