The truth about SNELL rated helmets, must read!!!

Ry_Trapp01647545522

i did a search and didn't see this posted on here, so if its a repost, my bad. its a long read but well worth it! basically, you dont want snell rated helmets because they are too stiff/hard and will transfer more engergy to your head than a lesser rated(DOT/euro standards/etc.) helmet. this isn't just theory that they came up with, they actually tested it. snell sent a response, but they got straight dominated. its pretty scary to think that such a highly held standard is more lethal than the lesser standards. you may only be able to get that $800 triple fan cooled, air diffusing, mood lighted, auto-tinting, ultra cushiony helmet with a snell rating, but is it worth possible brain damage?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

sorry I don't have the time to read it this morning but I'm assuming it's very similar to the Motorcyclist magazine study done last year on the subject. -Edit, just realized it is the same article, which I read in the mag last year.

Basically you're correct that Snell standards are for a harder shell that doesn't offer the same deflection as the softer DOT-only shells. This resulted in more g's being transferred to the head on Snell helmets. The helmet that tested the best in the article I read was an $80 vega or some crap.

It's quite interesting and good to see people not just blindly believe that Snell is the end all-be all of helmet standards. To think that you're unsafe wearing a Snell helmet is a stretch for me though. If I could go back I would try to find a euro spec Arai which have the softer shells not normally sold to us Snell loving Americans.

BUT...you're forgetting why I bought an Arai and it's because I didn't want a BRICK on top of my shoulders. I'd be interested to see what the additional pound or so of some of the cheaper and bigger helmets would do as far as neck injuries when someone slams the pavement and has their head flopping around.

Interesting read. They don't mention the "SA" rating but I believe the only difference is in the helmet lining being fire retardent. I do hope the SCCA has read this article as they require the Snell rating and give it some consideration.

My Icon was Snell 2000 but also DOT approved, what does that mean. I lived by the way. :)

BUT...you're forgetting why I bought an Arai and it's because I didn't want a BRICK on top of my shoulders. I'd be interested to see what the additional pound or so of some of the cheaper and bigger helmets would do as far as neck injuries when someone slams the pavement and has their head flopping around.

That would be no neck or torso injuries, for my cheap $50 Icon. My head hit the pavement many times, many marks on the helmet, I have it here in my office.

My Icon was Snell 2000 but also DOT approved, what does that mean. I lived by the way. :)

That would be considered a Snell approved helmet. Since Snell has more strict approval standards every Snell helmet will be DOT approved but not the other way around.

IIRC, a helmet company has to pay money to snell to get their helmet tested too.

there are some helmets out there (craft comes to mind) that are approved for motoGP and world superbike, but not snell approved because they dont feel the need to pay the money.

That would be no neck or torso injuries, for my cheap $50 Icon. My head hit the pavement many times, many marks on the helmet, I have it here in my office.

Your helmet was fuxxored...

It's quite interesting and good to see people not just blindly believe that Snell is the end all-be all of helmet standards. To think that you're unsafe wearing a Snell helmet is a stretch for me though. If I could go back I would try to find a euro spec Arai which have the softer shells not normally sold to us Snell loving Americans.

oh yes, of course! a helmet at all is better than no helmet, and a snell rated helmet is far safer than a block of concrete around your head, but if(excuse me, WHEN) i get a bike, i plan on getting anything but a snell rated helmet. people say "the amount your willing to spend on a helmet determines the value of your head"(or something to that extent), and, although thats false in the presence of this test, i think it could apply to this(as in, why wouldnt you try to get the safest helmet possible by avoiding snell helmets?).

you do bring up a good question though, is the heavier but softer helmet safer or is the lighter but harder helmet safer? they should do a test on that too(if there is such a test), then compile a list of recomendations from the 2 tests.

maybe someone needs to print this out and hand it to the SCCA/national trails people to justify the use of a non-snell helmet. i really dont see any faults in this test and i dont understand why they wouldn't change the rules up. who knows, maybe snell payed them off or something, lol.

No kidding. I have the same helmet and was really surprised at how it held up when l looked at it that night. Marked allllllll the way around it as if someone took a belt sander to it. Best $50 I ever spent.

Ryan, I wouldn't sweat the details that much to actually avoid a Snell helmet. I think that the most important information that should be taken from that study is that ALL helmets are safe and the previous idea that DOT helmets were not as safe as Snell helmets is not true.

When looking for a helmet, finding one that has an appropriate shell shape, size, and feel for your head is the most important. If your helmet isn't comfortable you'll be that much less inclined to wear it. When I looked for a helmet I went and tried on EVERYTHING I could. It was very unfortunate for my wallet that the helmet that fit me best was quite expensive, but it was also worth every penny when I put it on each ride and it fit perfectly.

maybe someone needs to print this out and hand it to the SCCA/national trails people to justify the use of a non-snell helmet. i really dont see any faults in this test and i dont understand why they wouldn't change the rules up. who knows, maybe snell payed them off or something, lol.

As far as SCCA goes - it's probably being dictated to them by their insurance carrier. When Snell first started, a lot of their testing revolved around helmets bouncing off of rollcages in cars - hence the round ball type of tests. Technology changes, perhaps Snell hasn't kept up, but it's hard to make that determination from one article. Certainly the relatively small donation a manufacturer makes to the Snell Foundation does not justify a $40-$60 bump in helmet cost. More likely, the big guys have to have more liability insurance, the small importers/manufacturers can just fold up shop and start over under a new name if they get sued. The article is an interesting read.

Ryan, I wouldn't sweat the details that much to actually avoid a Snell helmet. I think that the most important information that should be taken from that study is that ALL helmets are safe and the previous idea that DOT helmets were not as safe as Snell helmets is not true.

When looking for a helmet, finding one that has an appropriate shell shape, size, and feel for your head is the most important. If your helmet isn't comfortable you'll be that much less inclined to wear it. When I looked for a helmet I went and tried on EVERYTHING I could. It was very unfortunate for my wallet that the helmet that fit me best was quite expensive, but it was also worth every penny when I put it on each ride and it fit perfectly.

yea, maybe im reading into this a little too much. oh well, its not like i'll be helmet shopping any time soon, lol. i hope im in a position to get a bike in about 2 years or so.

great post, and a good point craig!