How-to: Lowering springs on an early fox Mustang

excell

i had a set of steeda springs on my lx and loved them. didnt lowerto much either maybe 1.25 inches front and rear.. maybe a tad more.. ride was nice and handled great. might check those out to.

id replace any rubber bushing you can while your there.

Get H&R race springs. They ride MUCH BETTER than the sport springs. Most people hate the sports and love the race springs.

Rob, you aren't talking about the super sports compared to the race springs are you?

I have been recommended the standard sports or race springs and DEFINITELY to stay away from the super sports.

I think I'm just going to go with the B's. I finally got to un-winterizing the car yesterday and while the B's aren't going to go as low as I really want, I don't want to introuduce a bunch of new problems or kill the ride. The goal here is to make the car MORE fun for me to drive, not less, and if it becomes a constant headache I won't want to drive it.

Seeing if I can get a few good deals on used parts, if not, IPS will be taking care of my parts order. :)

• 1 month later...

Chris, have you tried this yet?

I'm doing front springs on my 91 GT and having a heck of a time with em.. I debated making a new topic but hope this will get a couple looks. I got the old springs out but cant get the new ones up in there.. I MAY be able to get it in if I dont use the polyurethane isolator on the bottom.. but I'm not real confident with that either.

Is there a trick to this?

I've tried using spring compressor from Auto Zone but the bolt is too long and gets in the way. Dont think it's possible I could get both sides either..

I dont know.. just very frustrated with this and hope someone has some magic tip that will save me!

takes two guys to do the fronts just pry the control arm down all the way untill it stops then set the spring in and jack the lower control arm back up while the other person keeps the spring straight untill it seats....

hth

Thanks again, Dave.

I actually tried that w/out the isolator after I made that post and I almost had it. I was jacking it up and it still didnt want to seat just right and I was afraid it was gonna jump out and take my head off. I'll give it another try tomorrow though.

I don't run the iso's in the front of my car it looks better that way, but it does affect ride quality

I dont think I could even get the springs in w/ the isolators. How much does it effect the ride? This thing road horrible before which is why I got into all this. Got new struts (old ones seemed shot) and Steeda springs (factory one was actually broke) so I was hoping it would ride quite a bit better.

I just wanted to say thanks again, Dave!

I finally got it done yesterday. Sucker looks SLAMMED though w/out the isolators and w/ the Steeda springs. I really like the look though, and rides GREAT! I cant believe I waited so long to do the front suspension. It's like a different car now. :D