Best all around performing car for 10-15K

hpfiend

Hey guys-

New or used-

What would you recommend in this price range?

Would prefer a v8. would settle for a six or reluctantly a turbo 4.

Very good handling and braking- nice ride

at least 14 second quarter mile-- would prefer faster but beggars cant be choosers.

I would like it to be factory stock or as stock as possible-

I can make my fox into this for 5 grand or less but I cannot even recover half of what I have in it now at this point in resale

Does this beast exist? All I can see is 20-25 for this price range with the c5 vettes or 350z track edition

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys-

New or used-

What would you recommend in this price range?

Would prefer a v8. would settle for a six or reluctantly a turbo 4.

Very good handling and braking- nice ride

at least 14 second quarter mile-- would prefer faster but beggars cant be choosers.

I would like it to be factory stock or as stock as possible-

I can make my fox into this for 5 grand or less but I cannot even recover half of what I have in it now at this point in resale

Does this beast exist? All I can see is 20-25 for this price range with the c5 vettes or 350z track edition

FC RX7 + LS1

FC RX7 + LS1

You wont to many in good shape for his price he is wanting to spend. I would just do a fbody with a suspension setup to make it handle really well with a 150 shot on it and a cutout and call it a day. Should net you a high 11 low 12 sec car on a good tire.

You wont to many in good shape for his price he is wanting to spend. I would just do a fbody with a suspension setup to make it handle really well with a 150 shot on it and a cutout and call it a day. Should net you a high 11 low 12 sec car on a good tire.

I bought my chassis for around 500$, and I would claim fair conidition. Rollers are out there if you look.

I bought my chassis for around 500$, and I would claim fair conidition. Rollers are out there if you look.

Fair and good are two different worlds. I decent good looking no rust roller will cost you anywhere from 2-4k$. Then you gotta do all the ls1 swapping stuff. You could do it all yourself for under 14k but to buy a decent one would be closer to 20k if not more. I seen low mileage ones go for 30k.

Example:

Good one for sale for 28K$ 60k miles

http://www.accelcreative.com/RX7%20Sale%20Images/IMG_2546.jpg

A fair one for 15k$ thats not even finished

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/Transam6383/RX7/IMG00061.jpg

I pulled these from the forsale section on V8 RX-7 Forum.

Example:

Good one for sale for 28K$ 60k miles

http://www.accelcreative.com/RX7%20Sale%20Images/IMG_2546.jpg

A fair one for 15k$ thats not even finished

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/Transam6383/RX7/IMG00061.jpg

I pulled these from the forsale section on V8 RX-7 Forum.

Although the dispute may continue, the OP did stipulate that he was looking for stock or very close to stock car. This probably rules out engine swap cars - especially those going from a rotary to a V8.

negative on the srt4- wasn't too impressed with it or the subie wrx on test drives when I got our rsx-s which I gave to my wife to get the 5.0 car... no offense.

This would be a dd toy but I do have access to other cars in snow/heavy rain

I forgot to mention it has to be rwd or awd...

hmm great replies...

I did consider a c4 vette- never thought of the e36 m3.... is that the older body style the mid 90s one?

I did also consider a porsche 944 turbo with vittesse kit but those cars are pretty old...

And yes the FC LS1 would do it for 10-15 I have looked extensively into that and was even going to do it with my blown 5.0 but that doesn't help the resale situation... and I figured if I was going to have a project car of that level I might as well stick with what I have....

FD LS1 as sam detailed does have the resale value but he is right they are out of my price range....

F-body been there done that- you trade handling for ride big time with that solid rear and I would need a 12 bolt for sure with that eggshell back there this time around- nice brakes stock though you are correct...

Mach one is basically what I have minus a bit of rwhp and a set of new shocks. Nice car though no offense- looking for something a little less muscle car oriented and more sports car oriented.

Audi S4 hmm yeah I did run one of those with my old f-body it was quick- I will look into that one--thought they cost more than that... it has a backseat too doesnit it- score..

and I do like the vr6 jetta my wifes gf has... but I think the gti is fwd?

Ford Festiva? Are you serious?

Dare I say it?

A DSM? You can find a decent shape 2g (95-99 body style) for 5-6k. The problem is finding one that hasnt been molested in some way. Stock DSM's are becoming rare these days. If you've got a 10-15k$ budget you can easily make an AWD dsm into a reliable 12 (maybe 11) second car.

on the dsm- in stock form they aren't that impressive are they?

ooh nice call on the vr4- I have heard they are heavy but other than that I have always liked them-

What about a mr2 turbo? again older and probably not the level of performance I am looking for as far as acceleration in stock form?

You could get a VERY nice VR-4 for the kind of money you're looking at spending. They are somewhat heavy, but honestly what AWD car isn't carrying some extra weight. A lot of the weight is a result of the Active-Aero, Active-Exhaust, and 4-wheel steering systems, which many owners delete. There is tons of power to be had w/ a TT 6G72 engine, and a damn good aftermarket. Go check out 3si.org, you'll learn a lot quick, and maybe find something for sale.