LS1 Headers

Cordell

Anyone installed their own headers on an F-body? If so what brand did you get and how did it work out for you? Thanks.

I did the longtubes on BigA's car. I personally thought the install was a PITA. I'm not sure on the brand, but, I don't think he is very happy with them. He did pick up power and it sounds better though.

For some stupid reason I went with Edelbrock LTs with a cut-out. Like Hal said it was a little bit of a PITA but I think the 2nd time will go much better. They seem to fit alright, but they are starting to rust already :( If I could do it over I would go with pacesetters(cheap) or saved up for kooks and do them 1 time.

I went with QTP's. After reading horror stories on LS1tech I decided to let LaSota do it (patience owns me). Going back I probably would have went a different route because the others flow a little less but also cost a lot less.

I had a set of Jet-hot 1 3/4" that I sold when I got the Kooks 1 7/8 X 2"

The Kooks are far superior IMHO but quite a bit more expensive. The jet hot Y pipe really sucked, it fit poorly and the hole where the two lines merged was not full sized. I had to make an extension for my die grinder and open the hole.

If you have a stock K-member you will more than likely have to notch the K-member

Like Ray said, Kooks are far superior to 99% of all the long tubes on the markert, but they will cost you more, you get what you pay for.

My only complaint seeing so many headers, and Andrew touched on this, is the rust you will get from the pacesetters and hookers, and edlebrocks out there.

I would just get and 1" 3/4 tubes for your LS1 as well. If you have any questions just hit me on AIM im glad to answer anything. Make certain to get 02 extensions as well when you do the install.

MAC mid-lengths. Fit well, easy plug access, do plenty for high-hp applications and have no ground clearance issues. Mine came off of a nine-second car :)

MACs on two cars, dropped in from the top easy as pie. 1 set of QTP's, wrestled in from the bottom. Not too bad of a job. 2 sets of pacesetters. 1 was a pain, the other wasn't too bad, both from the bottom.

QTP's are the reason I'm making the power I do with a babyish cam. Plus they are almost as shiney as the day I bought them. You cant really go wrong with Kooks or QTP's as far as headers are concerned.... now the y pipe is a different story. The QTP y pipes suck! If anyone gets the qtp long tubes be prepared to have a custom y pipe made.

SLP is actually coming out with a totally new re-designed set that fixes their clearance issue and outflows almost all of the competitors.

I have done a couple, they are not that bad. Go with long tubes over shortys, you will be haapier in the long run.

Getting them in can be a little tricky, on certian cars there is a tab on the block on the driver's side that can be ground down some, and they will slide right in. Or, you can remove the steering shaft which somepeople do not like to do, having done it both ways I would honestly say it's a toss up which one you choose. Try not to break a header bolt, if you don't have access to a welder getting it out will be a pain.

Cost efective = Pacesetter or hooker.

Best Quality = Kooks or SLP.