Some pictures of my dog.

Sco0terzsl

I've been doing a lot of studying up on how to utilize my Speedlites to their full ability. Prior to today I had never shot manual flash, instead I would use the built in ETTL system since I have the IR Transmitter. Sherman, my trusty sidekick, was happy to have my attention for about 45 min. on our walk tonight. Here are a few that I like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Sco0terzsl/Misc%20Stuff/Sherman/IMG_5610copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Sco0terzsl/Misc%20Stuff/Sherman/IMG_5584copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Sco0terzsl/Misc%20Stuff/Sherman/IMG_5644copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Sco0terzsl/Misc%20Stuff/Sherman/IMG_5606copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Sco0terzsl/Misc%20Stuff/Sherman/IMG_5625copy.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice bokeh in all. It shows off the capability of the lens. I did not like pic #3, it looked too mean for that dog, with the snaring teeth. Your work is very good, really. I did not feel that, in that particular portrait(#3) captured the dog's personality at all. Good use of perspective and you do show a knack for getting the K-9's attention. Good work on a pretty dog!

Nicely done. I like the dark effect of the higher shutter speed. This is a good time of year to get some 'golden hour' shots like that. I like morning too, but can't get out as easily due to work.

I most always shoot manual with my speed lights. Really depends on the situation and ambient lighting but most always manual. Av fill-flash will give you great results simply using the cameras meter too but not necessarily on pets or kids where you may get slower shutter speeds.

Were those with the 24-105L? shoot Canon as well, 1DMKII and a 40D. They've come a long way in metering ability although I think Nikon still has an edge in that respect.

Rep points earned with those.

Very nice bokeh in all. It shows off the capability of the lens. I did not like pic #3, it looked too mean for that dog, with the snaring teeth. Your work is very good, really. I did not feel that, in that particular portrait(#3) captured the dog's personality at all. Good use of perspective and you do show a knack for getting the K-9's attention. Good work on a pretty dog!

Sherman is very obedient and loyal to me. I attribute this to two things, he is a purebred Aussie and they are notoriously loyal to their family, and I know the previous owner beat the crap out of him at an early age so I'm sure he's a little more attached to me than normal. You are right though, 3 isn't his personality at all. He sure does love his sticks though, I just happened to catch him at a moment where he looked ferocious

Wow, the resolution is amazing. What kind of camera is this??

I'm shooting with a Canon 5d

Nicely done. I like the dark effect of the higher shutter speed. This is a good time of year to get some 'golden hour' shots like that. I like morning too, but can't get out as easily due to work.

I most always shoot manual with my speed lights. Really depends on the situation and ambient lighting but most always manual. Av fill-flash will give you great results simply using the cameras meter too but not necessarily on pets or kids where you may get slower shutter speeds.

Were those with the 24-105L? shoot Canon as well, 1DMKII and a 40D. They've come a long way in metering ability although I think Nikon still has an edge in that respect.

Rep points earned with those.

Thank you for the advice with the AV fill, I'll have to give that a whirl the next time I head out to practice. The lens used for this shoot was my 70-200mm f2.8L IS shot on a my new 5d. I personally wanted to get a 1DMKIII but didn't have the cash to get one so I "settled" with the 5d.

Thanks for the points too ;)

you're better off the the 5D and spending money on the glass as you did. Don't consider that settling by any means. I actually enjoy my 40D more than the MK since it's smaller. Unless I'm shooting kids playing sports it's 9/10ths the MKII. Even then it's 8/10ths.

Thank you for the advice with the AV fill, I'll have to give that a whirl the next time I head out to practice. The lens used for this shoot was my 70-200mm f2.8L IS shot on a my new 5d. I personally wanted to get a 1DMKIII but didn't have the cash to get one so I "settled" with the 5d.

Thanks for the points too ;)

you're better off the the 5D and spending money on the glass as you did. Don't consider that settling by any means. I actually enjoy my 40D more than the MK since it's smaller. Unless I'm shooting kids playing sports it's 9/10ths the MKII. Even then it's 8/10ths.

I totally agree, if I'm asked for advice by someone thinking about getting more involved with photography I always recommend buying glass first for two reasons: One, you can turn a decent camera into a good one with quality glass. I managed to impress quite a lot of people with my 300d and L series glass combo. Another advantage to this route is the potential resale value of glass is much better if you lose your motivation to pursue photography. My only slight regret is that I wish I would have waited for the replacement of the 5d to come out. But hey, I couldn't wait.