2010 Mustang with 5.0?

Tshensley

The pressure is on now for Ford, which has had the ponycar market to itself for the better part of a decade. With the return of the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger, Ford will surely be stepping up the Mustang's performance when it receives a makeover for 2010. In an interview with stuff.co.nz, Bill Osborne, President of Ford Australia, claims that Ford is considering using a 5.0L V8 for the new Falcon - the same engine being developed for the upcoming Mustang. While nothing has been officially confirmed by Ford, this is further evidence that the 5.0 will be making a return since it was dropped from the Mustang back in 1995.

Assuming the 5.0 V8 will be available for the 2010 Mustang, there are many questions that still remain. It's possible the 5.0 could become standard, but it could also be reserved for use in a special edition Mustang like a Boss or Mach 1. There is also the question of how the engine is being developed. The simplest answer is that it will be based on the current modular V8 architecture and could be a stroked version of the 4.6L V8.

We would love to see something similar to the 5.0 V8 in the Saleen Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang that we sampled last year. With 400 bhp and 390 lb-ft of torque, it was a smooth and powerful engine that suited the Mustang well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/16/5-0l-v8-to-return-in-the-2010-mustang/

Guest fist302

Knowing ford they will prolly stick with a bored 4.6 and remake they 5.0 but even then dont forget the twin turbo setups they are researching called the twin force... factory twin turbo v8 anyone? IF they really wanna do it right they and spend a bit more money, ford is devolping a BOSS series motor. The motor is a 6.2 liter v8 producing around 425 hp 425 torque. It will have the ability to be a 7.0 liter aswell. It will be a sohc motor like the 4.6 but will possibly later have a high po dohc setup. They are testing a 650hp dohc twin turbo 6.2 aswell.

BOSS series info

Note no supercharger - we all know Ford needs one of those to compete ;-)

I have no blower, wanna play Casey?

Edit: Short of another 03-04 Cobra, I don't think I will ever buy another Mustang.

Because that motor sucked compared to the 6 bolt modular... maybe?

Comparing the 4.6 SOHC over the 5.0 pushrod, I disagree. And I stated that they should develop a NEW 5.0 pushrod motor. I see way more quick 5.0 cars than I've ver seen 4.6 SOHC cars.

GM has clearly proven they can develop a N/A pushrod motor that can make more power, get better gas mileage, and be physically smaller (external dimensions, which is what REALLY counts) than the DOHC 4.6 motor, which is about the size of a freaking big block motor.

Comparing the 4.6 SOHC over the 5.0 pushrod, I disagree. And I stated that they should develop a NEW 5.0 pushrod motor. I see way more quick 5.0 cars than I've ver seen 4.6 SOHC cars.

Because they're cheaper, by allot. "I see more" doesn't mean they're better, you should be smarter than that. Show me a stock block 5.0 making north of 600 hp for more than ten minutes.

GM has clearly proven they can develop a N/A pushrod motor that can make more power, get better gas mileage, and be physically smaller (external dimensions, which is what REALLY counts) than the DOHC 4.6 motor, which is about the size of a freaking big block motor.

http://www.automotoportal.com/media/images/vijesti/060711010.10.jpg

Better engine.