Bose Speakers...

iwishiwascool

I'm torn on this subject. Bose (speaking car here strictly) setups are generally better than the standard offering but will always pale by comparison to a custom or even entry level hand built system. Very few OEM systems can compare with the exception of the new B&O offerings which are just astounding.

That being said, I have had bose in my last couple cars and dont' have any real complaints.

:cool:

Bose had made some excellent quality speakers. They created an image and play to that image by overpricing their items. They have strong marketing to support this. Some of their stuff is not worth the money, but some of it is. I have the 501 speakers as my mains and have been using them for 10+years. I love them. I have 100 series bookshelves as my surround speakers, and they are terrible. I am also using the VCS10 as my center channel, and it seems to be OK. I think that if you do some research then you can buy a Bose product that suits your needs and performs well, but you will pay a relatively high price. They are definitely NOT the best product on the market.

FWIW I bought a nice Bose set up for the basement home theater. Sounds good down there. They are one of the tasteful looking systems and while that sounds odd to some, I don't want some ugly ass shit on my walls of a home theater. I do however have a separate sub down there to help out too.

Now I'm not a huge audiophile, but have spent my fair share on some excellent quality OHM & Paradigm product for our main family room and when watching a movie or listening to music upstairs the differences is night and day....but then so is the price.

So in the end, I think Bose works well but if it was going to be my main system for music and movies, I'd buy something else, but it will depend on your budget as well as personal preference.

As an all around system, I'd rate them as average 6/10 with perhaps a bump to 7/10 if you have them in the right environment and for the sake of looks.

I was mostly referring to the Home surround packages.

It has always been my feeling that Bose is more about marketing than the actual product. I don't blame them I guess, as it seems like a good way to make cash hand-over-fist. That's not to say that they dont produce an okay sounding product that's pleasing to look at, they do. It's just that for my money I have always been more happy with even the lower end of the "Real" home theater stuff you find at places like Audio Encounters and such and not in Circuit City. For the $1300-$1500 or so you can spend on a mid-grade Bose I went with Paradigm speakers and a mid-grade Onkyo receiver and feel like its much more musical and precise with equal or more total output than the Bose systems I auditioned.

Cliffs: Someone once said "Bose - Better sound through marketing"... and I think they were spot on.

A friend of mine has a Bose surround system and I think it sounds awesome. It is crystal clear and very efficient with space. I have noticed very minor ambient noises in movies are louder at a lower volume through his Bose setup.

However, I prefer the BIG holy-shit-thats-fucking-insane type of home audio. I have a 13 speaker Cerwin-Vega setup powered by Onkyo. I can hear ambient noises just as well, but the volume has to be up more compared to the Bose. I do not mind at all though because explosions are somewhat realistic when I watch movies :D

"no highs... no lows.... must be Bose"

I have all Bose in my home theater set up and I like them, except for the lack of low end power. I would suggest an additional sub woofer for any home set up in a lager room.

• Upvote 1

I guess everyone is fairly in touch with reality here.

This kid believed with his heart and soul that there was nothing better on the planet than Bose. He spent 1300 (of his 1300) dollars on a lifestyle setup all the while claiming himself to be a true audiophile. I described to him the article I read on intellexual.net about the construction, lack of dB range, paper cone "Subs" etc, but he would not hear it having been far too sucked in to the marketing hype that is Bose. I am nobody's kind of audiophile and know next to nothing... but I do know that Bose is a joke.

I guess everyone is fairly in touch with reality here.

This kid believed with his heart and soul that there was nothing better on the planet than Bose. He spent 1300 (of his 1300) dollars on a lifestyle setup all the while claiming himself to be a true audiophile. I described to him the article I read on intellexual.net about the construction, lack of dB range, paper cone "Subs" etc, but he would not hear it having been far too sucked in to the marketing hype that is Bose. I am nobody's kind of audiophile and know next to nothing... but I do know that Bose is a joke.

Hahaha, yeah, Bose is garbage. Tell him to run a quick search for Bose on avsforum.com, and see what he comes up with.

premium bose stereo in my dad's new 08 corvette blows like a typical bose...

he wanted nav so was stuck with it- the base stereo has a full 4 channel amp and the midlevel stereo that is bose but without navigation is even better than his...

The thing that I like about Bose is the style. They look better than any other brand, when the speaker have to be visible. The don't stick out like a sore thumb, as some of the other brands do.

Hahaha "Bose".

god i love those people, they think it's so high-end and top-quality. i love it even more when they get the little ice cube style system and think it just rocks the house.

i'd rather have some huge JBL stage speakers hanging from my ceiling than those stupid little pussy cubes everywhere.

Hahaha "Bose".

god i love those people, they think it's so high-end and top-quality. i love it even more when they get the little ice cube style system and think it just rocks the house.

i'd rather have some huge JBL stage speakers hanging from my ceiling than those stupid little pussy cubes everywhere.

Yes, it seems everyone is all the rage for these "HTIB" setups. They have somehow forgotten you can't get anywhere near decent sound of a 5 3" "full range" speakers and 6-8" "subwoofer" although it is really closer to a woofer or "full range" too as they still push stuff in the 100-120hz range to these "subs".

I guess thats why they are "acoutimass" modules lol

:lol:

I had a Bose 3-2-1 system with my televison i got around christmas time last year from best buy and i absolutly hated it....I got a much cheaper yamaha system and i am in love with it...It has High's low's and shakes pictures off the wall if i turn it up loud enough....But bose is a good product and good quality it just wasnt a good match for my room

Guest 78novaman

Bose made some pretty good stuff in the 60's/70's and into the early 80's. Find someone who has an old pair of 901's from back in the day and they will blow your mind. Their new stuff is pure garbage. PLASTIC enclosures and marketing are what Bose is about now. Seriously, go and physically pick one up and feel how light it is, then knock on it and hear how hollow it is. I've been in the Easton Bose store and it makes me want to barf. Go to a real audio store (Audio Encounters, Genesis Audio) and listen to a Paradigm or Morel speaker demo you'll never go back to Bose. I feel about the same way with B&O mostly just overpriced junk.

I have a set of Paradigm Phantom V2 dual 6.5" three-way towers as my main speakers I purchased locally off ebay for $200. They are so very clean sounding, especially with my 20bit D/A converter for my cd player. Styx's remastered greatest hits sounds incredible. A pair of OLD OLD radio shack 8" 2-way floor speakers are my rear channels. Real wood finish and they have the foam velcroed on the front. Watching Lord of the Rings or Transformers is awesome in 5.1 with full range rear speakers. I have not found the matching center yet (towers are an older model) so I have to use phantom mode. I've had a lot of people over to watch movies and no one has complained about the lack of a center thus far.

I despise the home theater in a box setups. 5 full range junk speakers with a 6" sub? My logitech 5.1 computer speakers are better than most of the cheap HTIAB setups.

My logitech 5.1 computer speakers are better than most of the cheap HTIAB setups.

I use the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speaker system on my pc. At 200+ watts RMS, it blows away most HTIB setups fo-sho. Is it necessary? No. Cool? To me it is.

For most people I think the HTIB is, at the very least an assload better than TV speakers. As long as you can produce some crash-bang-tinkle from multiple directions you're still a large jump ahead in immersing youself in the media.

"no highs... no lows.... must be Bose"

I thought it was Buy Other Stereo Equipment

When g/f's parents were going to get a new system, her dad was considering getting a Bose system. I advised him against it, and then when he talked to the stereo installer, he also did. He ended up with a nice set of Definitives for about the same price as the Blose system.