Legally could I be fired?

verse

Okay here's the deal. There's a car in our shop with a blown motor. I want to buy it, I offered the customer $2k cash for the car. The dealership offered them $2k trade in. The owner's son found out that I wanted to buy the car and got pissed off about it.

Now legally, if I buy the car from the customer, could I be fired? I don't understand how it'd be possible. Unless they just found some other BS reason to fired me unrelated to this b/c they were mad.

Legal buffs, help me please?

It could be termed conflict of interest. Example of how it is a conflict: Shady technician tells customer motor is siezed it will cost $5k to fix but, I will buy it from you for $2k. Customer sells car to tech. Tech. replaces bad starter for $50 and has a grat used car. It could also be termed damaging to business. Example: Company buys car for $2k pays $500 for used motor pays you $400 to put it in. Sells it as a used car for $5k. BUT you stepped in and bought it costing the company $2100 in profit plus the profit from the car that would have been traded in.

In addition this is an at will state. In other words, you could be fired for Conflict of interest, damage to business, or because douchebag tells daddy I don't like him.

In no way am I trying to say these were your intentions. Merely, that this is the way it could be termed so that they could fire you.

arrange to be hurt on the job not due to your fault and maybe you can hold a lawsuit over their heads :D

I had a potential case against a former employer and when we came to a "mutual agreement" it was in my favor in a very nice way ;)

Okay here's the deal. There's a car in our shop with a blown motor. I want to buy it, I offered the customer $2k cash for the car. The dealership offered them $2k trade in. The owner's son found out that I wanted to buy the car and got pissed off about it.

Now legally, if I buy the car from the customer, could I be fired? I don't understand how it'd be possible. Unless they just found some other BS reason to fired me unrelated to this b/c they were mad.

Legal buffs, help me please?

What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? out of curiosity

'05 xB. It was overheated and warped the head. They are offering $2k trade in on it and we found a motor for $1200 RETAIL with 30k on it.

I think I might just offer then $2500 for it and have Andy and his dad pick it up.

Blue book for a 30k '05 xB in good conditions is $11-12k.

What they don't know can't hurt them, or me hopefully.

Trust me,if they want you gone they will find something.I don't see how someone could let an 05 Xb go for $2500.00 even with a blown motor.30k and it's out of warranty?Is it out on time?

has to be. way to stand behind there product, even GM will cover stuff 6/60 if you take it to the dealer for regular work like oil changes. no wonder i think there shit boxes.

agreed with most of the above

but it probably wouldn't be for a conflict of interest

As an employee, you have a fiduciary relationship with your employer, and you'd probably breach that by buying the motor (you could probably call this a conflict of interest)

It's semantics...but there's a bit of a difference i won't get into...

Anyways: yes. You could be fired.