Washing car/detailing question.

Patrick

Ok. So, I need to clean my Starion once it's back. It's weird. I've washed it 2x since I've had it, but it seems there's a nice gritty layer of dust on it. I can wipe it off with my hand, but it seems like it needs sandpaper to get it off! :mad:

What can I do to make it nice and smooth and restore the clearcoat or get the dust off and such? I'm a noob at detailing. I wash, but never anything like this.

x2 I use the yellow clay, but they all seem good. I actually asked Andy about clay when he was doing my car and he said there's only like 1-2 manufacturers and they are all pretty good.

Use a small peice at a time in case you drop it and then of course toss it out. I use detail mist, but Andy used really soapy water and that worked great too.

Sounds like after you'll need some type of good polish if the paint is really faded. Can't comment there as I've never had to detail a car other than a simply clay application.

Good thorough wash, claybar, good waxing.

You need some clay.

This was off my right driver side door on my Regal.

First pass

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/clay2.jpg

Flipped over

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/clay1.jpg

How do you avoid not scratching the paint w/ the stuff you take out of the paint? The way I understand it you use fairly small pieces of the clay at a time, but doesn't the debris you pick up get rubbed back onto the surface as you pick up more crap?

Pardon my ignorance, but I plan on claying my car as soon as Rolla has a chance to fix my front bumper, and I don't want to do any damage.

How do you avoid not scratching the paint w/ the stuff you take out of the paint? The way I understand it you use fairly small pieces of the clay at a time, but doesn't the debris you pick up get rubbed back onto the surface as you pick up more crap?

The trick is to keep the area you're working on well lubricated (a clean bucket of wash water is good for this), to turn over/work the clay frequently (no more than a square foot at a time, really), and to let the clay do the work. All you're doing is gliding it over the paint, with very little downward pressure. If something is there, the clay will get it.

Pardon my ignorance, but I plan on claying my car as soon as Rolla has a chance to fix my front bumper, and I don't want to do any damage.

The clay also traps the debris you pick up which is why it is important not to push down too hard on the clay.

Maguire’s has a 3 step Paint cleaner, Polish and Wax that works GREAT after the clay bar IMO, but that’s an all day event and lots of work to do it right.

The trick is to keep the area you're working on well lubricated (a clean bucket of wash water is good for this), to turn over/work the clay frequently (no more than a square foot at a time, really), and to let the clay do the work. All you're doing is gliding it over the paint, with very little downward pressure. If something is there, the clay will get it.

Spoken like a true professional.