Domain Registration Question

Sully

I don't really want to give out too much info, but will do as best I can to explain.

I know of this company that has been in business for a while and is still open. They had their website/domain registered through godaddy.com. I noticed the other day that their website is down. Still trying a couple days later, still down. The company is still open. I did some searching on the domain and found this:

Created on: 29-Mar-07

Expires on: 29-Mar-09

Last Updated on: 15-Apr-08

So, since they've let their domain registration expire, does that mean the domain is up for grabs? Could I contact godaddy.com and get it registered in my name? What if they find out and want it back? Would they have to buy it from me or would I have to give it up at no charge to them?

I don't know how this domain registration stuff works, so if someone could help answer my questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

it says it expires on 09? i am confused but if it was expired then you can purchase it i got my domain after it was expired

but you should be able to go to godaddy and type in the web address you want and it will tell you if you can buy it or not

Unless we had another new years that I missed Expires on: 29-Mar-09 means in a year it will expire.

But, if the domain registration runs out and the domain returns to the register, then yes you can squat.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/failboatdelivers.jpg

Damnit!! Reading owns me today. This isn't the first time I've screwed up numbers today. I need to go home and sleep for a couple days.