Question for those who have rented

Twistedrx7

Unfortunately, you're pretty much screwed.

There's absolutely nothing you can do about what others choose to cook, and unless your apartment has mice in it, and not just outside of it, there's also no bargaining room. If you do have mice, then they have an obligation to take care of that, but you undoubtably signed a solid lease-contract, and won't get anywhere without losing a substantial sum of money. For future notice, before you make a decision, always talk to current tenants to gather opinions and general information.

july woulda only been a few months, but i know what you're saying

they just sent me my lease renewal notice...unless i find something similar for same price in westerville soon (which i dont see happening), ill probably renew...its a 2nd floor 2br/2ba

Well, i bought some air fresheners before work and plugged them in at 230. Came back at 2315 and still smelled. There was a tiny haze when i turned on the light towards the hall. Im guessing from whatever they cooked.

I had them put in a work order, i cannot talk to them until monday. I doubt anyone even came by to check it out.

Im pretty sure as well that there isnt only one mouse. Where there is one there are another 10. I should know i watch disney movies ;)

Should i file a complaint with the health inspector now or wait until the landlord puts some effort into it?

Call the health inspector AFTER you have given the landlord probably 15 days to fix it. If they haven't even tried anything after 15 days, call the health inspector.