Test Drive: 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

AJ

went to detroit for this a mont or so ago but didn't get to drive one. we got one in yesterday and no sooner did it get off the truck and we took it for a test drive.

Sticker $54,290 loaded. 4WD, NAV, leather ect.

after the engine reaches operating temp. then it will go into Auto Stop mode, the transmission has 2 electric motors in it that run off 300v 3-phase electric. under 23mph the truck will opperate in hybrid mode depending on throttle input. if your light on the go pedal then the engine will remain off, read big golf cart. between 23-60 it will work in hybrid assist mode, engine and electric and at 70 its in full gas mode but does have DOD. fuel mileage is 20/20 average. they did add alot of weight to it so they tried to cut as much as they could. the hood and rear hatch is aluminum and there is no electric hatch lift. the seats are only 6 way power not 8 way. the A/C compressor is 300v electric and 42v power steering.

Braking is different than anything you will drive. its called regenerative braking, the hybrid control module determins if it should just apply more to the electric motors to use the truck speed to recharge the batterys in turn slows the truck down because of the drag of making electricity or apply hydraulic brakes. when you push the brake pedal you are not moving any fluid, just an input into a module which turns on the ABS motor that applys the brakes. if the system fails then you have to push farther on the pedal and it will then apply hydraulic brakes manualy to the front wheels only.

i would rock it, in stop and go traffic you could see even better fuel mileage than 20mpg. its a nice truck and rides nice. it also has a different front end thats more aerodynamic to help some. plus you get a huge tax brake for buying one.

Nice review, but IMO for $54k they can keep it. If I was planning on spending that much I'd likely care two shits about mpgs and would be rock'n a badd ass SUV. They can tout being green all day, if someone tells me they are that concerned about the environment, they wouldn't be driving an SUV period. They could buy both a Prius and a minivan alternating based on needs. Together would cost less than $54k and result in far less output of hydro-carbons for any given period of driving....and the true tree hugger would buy a used car thus re-using vs adding to the pool of junk on the road.

Hell, I don't drive 25mph in parking lots and while we have traffic around here, I think Thanksgiving is the only time roads are as bad enough to use the term congestion. Freeway wise, I never go under 70mph unless there's a Prius in front of me learning to pulse and glide his car into higher mpgs at 60mph on I-270. Even then, he's not saving the environment as while he may be putting out far less hydrocarbons, the 85 people racing around him at WOT are killing the planet even faster than if he would just go 72mph and keep the flow of traffic happy.

For S&G's I plugged in my measly little 8k per year average with 90% of it being in the city with gas at 3.50 per gal and found the results of a regular Tahoe 4wd vs the Hybrid to be completely not worth it. $600 yr delta is not worth the upfront costs. It's worse than a Prius vs Loaded up Civic EX-L. One is still better off with the regular Civic.

Gas cost per year:

Regular $3,200

Hybrid $2,600

Don't get me wrong, I fucking hate paying so much for gas. It plain sucks. I'm still not 100% on what I want to buy next, but I doubt it's going to be something that's just basic transportation for economy reasons. I'll buy a cheap DD mainly because I might not find what I'm really looking for. For me, the cost of a Civic EX or something would suck every time I hit the gas to have fun while in my car. I'd hate it.

Thankfully I don't drive buy 8k miles per year so the amount of gas even a GTO would drink isn't going to kill my budget.

Sorry...I've been drinking.....

The only negative that I was told is the sheer cost of the regenerative brakes. A friend has a Prius and says they're damn expensive.

Also that mileage is no improvement on current vehicles so why bother having it??

The only negative that I was told is the sheer cost of the regenerative brakes. A friend has a Prius and says they're damn expensive.

Also that mileage is no improvement on current vehicles so why bother having it??

that may be on there car. the brake system is a regular system. regenerative braking is where the revirse the polarity of the motors and they switch from useing energy to making energy so there is no wear on those parts and infact makes the disk brake system work less.

When viewed as a percentage maybe, but in actual savings on resources, not hardly. That's like saying someone in sales who is at 50% of their quota making a 50% increase to 75% of quota is doing great, when in fact they still are way off the mark. Percentages are often skewed to make things look better than they are.

That is incorrect - they are like 13/16 gas only - so 20/20 is a significant improvement

Nice review, but IMO for $54k they can keep it. QUOTE]

thats about $125 more that a 2008 Tahoe LTZ. and its about a %50 increas in mpg that the reguar tahoe per chevrolet.com.

also try and tow a boat or go off road in a toyota hybrid and see how far you get lol.

Motor Trend saw a 30% overall average increase over the course of three tanks of gas on the same roads and in the city the difference was 13mpg vs 18mpg. Hardly worth it in the long run.

Looking at standard features and loading up the regular version, the LTZ is overkill. The Tahoe Hybrid is essentially a fully loaded Tahoe LT. Leather and rearview camera included in the navigation system are standard leaving a sunroof and DVD entertainment system as options. The price premium is up around $8k vs a similarly equipped gas-only Tahoe.

Personally, I'd rather buy a much sharper looking and better equipped Enclave or Acadia and save $10g's....even when fully loaded. They both offer more room and get about the same mpgs.

Either way, neither is worth $54k IMO. Especially a Chevy.

Nice review, but IMO for $54k they can keep it. QUOTE]

thats about $125 more that a 2008 Tahoe LTZ. and its about a %50 increas in mpg that the reguar tahoe per chevrolet.com.

also try and tow a boat or go off road in a toyota hybrid and see how far you get lol.

wow, 55k for a tahoe, unbelievable. Havent priced one in a long while. People that buy new cars like that..........must have money to burn. slightly used saves you 10-50% depending on the car.

Motor Trend saw a 30% overall average increase over the course of three tanks of gas on the same roads and in the city the difference was 13mpg vs 18mpg. Hardly worth it in the long run.

thats 138 miles per tank difference.

also i forgot, there is NO spair tire with this truck. it comes with an inflator kit and sealent. reason is it has 2 mufflers. one is tuned to the V8 mode and the other is tunes to V4 mode and takes up the space where the spair tire would go.

Still not impressed. Go to http://fueleconomy.gov/ and compare the two, plug in the gas costs and miles to drive. That's exactly what I did using my mere 8,000 miles per year with 90% in the city. The savings was like $600 per year. $50mo. I blow that on lunches in a week. Not worth it. :jerkit:

The car biz is a bunch of BS when it comes to Going Green. If you want to see some major impacts in the world, come to the Green 4 Retail show in Chicago next month. Wallmart and McD's lead the way by far. Wallmart in the state of Ohio alone will do more to save the planet than all of GM's hybrids sold this year. :nod:

Fact: The main reason the Tahoe was chosen as the Green Car fo the year was because:

1. They pulled off getting the damn thing to market by 1/1/08. Good move on their production front....it was a requirement. Besides, no one else came out with anything major this year...way to go GM, pick a year with no competition to launch a 10yr old dual mode hybrid. :rolleyes:

2. "Newness" is a factor...and yes that term is used in the selection process. Big fucking deal...Toyota has had this shit for nearly 10 years...I hardly give GM credit for being New at creating a dual mode Hybrid. That's a crock.

The selection committee actually favors this too. :thumbdown They look for nominees who are in the beginning of there production cycle...not 10 year vets like Toyota.

3. They look for manufacturers who are implementing their "new creations" in other vehicles and markets. Toyota just recently inked an OEM deal with Nissan to use their system in the Altima. GM inked deals with Both BMW and Chrysler prior to their release....so yes, you'll see this same system and it's successor in other models.

Again, big fucking deal...they struck an OEM deal vs Toyota that would rather keep the goods to themselves and make more money in the retail world selling to consumers. GM did it because they knew they won't win the game when it comes to competing with Toyota at the consumer level. :cry:

Sorry to sound like I'm bashing GM, but I grew up in a GM family and took in enough second hand GM Smoke through my ass and don't really need to inhale anymore. :doh:

GM will take another hit in the next 12-24 months with the Volt. They will be out peddling an electric sports car to those that can afford it and quite frankly can afford gas, where Toyota will be unveiling a 70+mpg plug in hybrid platform that will include two new models in addition to the updated Prius. I've seen the new Prius during my time at Panasonic as they are the makers of the batteries. Hang on GM, as you're about to be kicked again. :nutkick: Bigger motor, better batteries, plug in at home and better mpgs...hmm....I wonder who will win the sales game in a country that will likely be near $5 gal gas when these hit the market. :burn:

thats 138 miles per tank difference.

also i forgot, there is NO spair tire with this truck. it comes with an inflator kit and sealent. reason is it has 2 mufflers. one is tuned to the V8 mode and the other is tunes to V4 mode and takes up the space where the spair tire would go.

Still not impressed.* Go to http://fueleconomy.gov/* and compare the two, plug in the gas costs and miles to drive.* That's exactly what I did using my mere 8,000 miles per year with 90% in the city.* The savings was like $600 per year.* $50mo.* I blow that on lunches in a week.* Not worth it.The car biz is a bunch of BS when it comes to Going Green.* If you want to see some major impacts in the world, come to the Green 4 Retail show in Chicago next month.* Wallmart and McD's lead the way by far.* Wallmart in the state of Ohio alone will do more to save the planet than all of GM's hybrids sold this year.Fact: The main reason the Tahoe was chosen as the Green Car fo the year was because:1. They pulled off getting the damn thing to market by 1/1/08.* Good move on their production front....it was a requirement.2. "Newness" is a factor...and yes that term is used in the selection process.* Big fucking deal...Toyota has had this shit for nearly 10 years...I hardly give GM credit for being New at creating a dual mode Hybrid.* That's a crock.The selection committee actually favors this too.* They look for nominees who are in the beginning of there production cycle...not 10 year vets like Toyota.3. They look for manufacturers who are implementing their "new creations" in other vehicles and markets.* Toyota just recently inked an OEM deal with Nissan to use their system in the Altima.* GM inked deals with Both BMW and Chrysler prior to their release....so yes, you'll see this same system and it's successor in other models. Again, big fucking deal...they struck an OEM deal vs Toyota that would rather keep the goods to themselves and make more money in the retail world selling to consumers.* GM did it because they knew they won't win the game when it comes to competing with Toyota at the consumer level.Sorry to sound like I'm bashing GM, but I grew up in a GM family and took in enough second hand GM Smoke through my ass and don't really need to inhale anymore.GM will take another hit in the next 12-24 months with the Volt. They will be out peddling an electric sports car to those that can afford it and quite frankly can afford gas, where Toyota will be unveiling a 70+mpg plug in hybrid platform that will include two new models in addition to the updated Prius.* I've seen the new Prius during my time at Panasonic as they are the makers of the batteries.* Hang on GM, as you're about to be kicked again. Bigger motor, better batteries, plug in at home and better mpgs...hmm....I wonder who will win the sales game in a country that will likely be near $5 gal gas when these hit the market.

Your my hero. Finally someone who understand just how much the domestic car companies are in trouble/full of shit.

They are...they are seriously pathetic. They need to get a grip on things and begin implementing meaningful change. The "green" hype is partly just that, but there are leaders in the market from all segments that are putting bus lengths on major players in other non-competetive markets and it's going to make the lack of meaningful change hurt even more.

When you have Wallmart out greening General Motors and doing it in a down economy and increasing their monthly sales year over year still, the General is broke and better get fixed fast.

I'm not talking just labor issues and retirement pains here either, I'm talking pure marketing and image issues.

Wallmart "gets" what their customer is about and plays towards that in everything they do. GM does not. They got lucky with the few years of SUV money rolling in. Other than that they are dumb. Chrysler too. Gee, let's bring big V8 sedans to market, in fact let's ship them from Australia and do it when the economy sucks and gas prices are at all time highs.

You would think they would capture more small car market, where the battle is being fought. But no, they decide to "innovate" at a price point, where folks at that income aren't affected by the state of our current economy. The low end players get hurt first, high end players like Coach, BMW, Whole Foods, they don't have customers hurting for money.

But no...GM is going to let Toyota and even Nissan and Honda continue to take market share and create loyalty within the generation Y folks who are just now coming into money....but not enough to buy 600hp Vettes or $54k SUV's.

Come on GM, the X'ers and Boomers are lower in numbers for raising kids and saving for retirement. They have lower disposable income for cars or going to the high end products overall. The ones who do have the money aren't hardly interested in $54k Green SUV's. They are busy buying boats and BMW's.

IMO, if they came out with an $18k small car and $25k mid-size that were hybrids with better mpgs, they'd be doing far better than they are with the Green Tahoe.

Your my hero. Finally someone who understand just how much the domestic car companies are in trouble/full of shit.

You are on a roll.When gas prices are at all time highs as you said, they arent focusing on the right cars for their "Green" movement. Their problem is their product line. The cobalt needs to be redesigned before a real high mileage equivilent can be produced. Sure the 2.2 base engine can get 30mpg, but you can't get any good options in them, and the 2.4 SS/NA engine gets mid 20s along with the new SS/TC. The Honda and Toyota equivelents are easily at the 30mpg mark AND offer up scale options like heated seats and nav.The Malibu is on the right path, but still not up to other standards. They don't have a serious competitor to the CR-V or Rav-4. Its pretty amazing how they have fallen, it seems like the "Big Three" have been asleep at the wheel the past 20 years and were content catering to rental fleets.

13/16?! Are you fucking shitting me? Hybrid is a joke that people buy into to "save the environment". If I could just get a seat in Congress and pass a bill saying the "environment" is on my cock, people would jump on it. Hell...how many people even know what the "environment" means? It is a fool proof marketing scheme. Tell people the world is ending and they will trek to Mecca once a month. :) I love it. I think the world is just getting dumber they buy into anything. *sigh*

Envoy Vs. Tahoe

Envoy gets about 15 miles to the gallon on average

The Tahoe gets 20 miles to the gallon

Envoy cost $37k

Tahoe costs $54K

Envoy no tax credit.

Tahoe $2200 tax credit

Envoy gas costs:

$44.20 per week

$176.80 per month

$2210 per year

$8840 over the course of a 4 year loan *based on current gas prices

Tahoe gas costs:

$34 per week

$136 per month

$1700 per year

$6800 over a 4 year loan

Estimated total cost over the course of a 4 year loan not including tax:

Envoy = $45840

Tahoe = $58600

From what I see the total cost of the hybrid would have to be almost $13k less to make it worth buying over most SUV's... unless you are comparing it to an Escalade or a Hummer.

I'm all for alternatives to destroying the air we breath but it seems like people are using it to take advantage of people. Its like how when everyone wanted to become more healthy the cost of fruits and vegatables went up. If we really want to help the world we need to do it with the world in mind and not use it as a gimmick to make a profit.

you guys also forget that it takes more fuel to make the toyotas than the car will be able to offset. they have to mine the battery materials, ship it from canada to japan to make the batterys. then ship it here to put into the car. i'm not sure how many of the other parts of the car come from over there but that also adds into it.

First, the reason they did the Tahoe is because the PERCENTAGE of fuel savings would be the highest on SUV's. There is a lot of money wrapped up in this project, to the point where every Tahoe Hybrid is sold at a loss. They needed to show a large percentage increase on a product line that will only find itself under stricter CAFE standards. A 30% increase in fuel economy is huge.

Secondly, the towing capacity is no joke!

Thirdly, the Tahoe is just the beginning. The two mode Vue is on the way, as well the Silverado....then there are others. Hybrids are just an intermediate step to full electric. It's a necessary step and the lessons learned on the Tahoe will trickle down to the rest of their products. The hybrid development was a joint venture between GM, DiamlerChrysler, and BMW in order to keep the development costs low. Now Nissan has penned a deal with Chrysler LLC to built the Titan on the Ram platform in exchange for a small car. You can bet they're going to be asking for a Titan Hybrid with this same technology.

No SUV from Toyota will get this type of mileage. The engine in the Tahoe also runs on the Miller cycle and has D-O-D.

13/16?! Are you fucking shitting me? Hybrid is a joke that people buy into to "save the environment". If I could just get a seat in Congress and pass a bill saying the "environment" is on my cock, people would jump on it. Hell...how many people even know what the "environment" means? It is a fool proof marketing scheme. Tell people the world is ending and they will trek to Mecca once a month. :) I love it. I think the world is just getting dumber they buy into anything. *sigh*

Even if you completely ignore the environmental benefits, the less fuel we use as a country in general, the better off we are. We are entirely too dependant on foreign oil and you just can't argue otherwise. If the entire country drove something that got 54mpg like the prius, we'd be in a lot better of a situation in the global economy. I'm hoping GM releases a serious hybrid capable of competing with the prius in MPG, price, and quality so we can buy American AND decrease our oil consumption at the same time. The hybrid SUV is a big step for SUV's, but it still a fucking SUV. those looking for 50mpg have nowhere to look right now except toyota and few european diesels.

you guys also forget that it takes more fuel to make the toyotas than the car will be able to offset. they have to mine the battery materials, ship it from canada to japan to make the batterys. then ship it here to put into the car. i'm not sure how many of the other parts of the car come from over there but that also adds into it.

The article/study your basing this information off of was widely and seriously discredited a long time ago. You can search for 'prius worse than hummer for environment proven wrong' or something to that extent and find what im talking about.