Test Drive: 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

AJ

Even if you completely ignore the environmental benefits, the less fuel we use as a country in general, the better off we are. We are entirely too dependant on foreign oil and you just can't argue otherwise. If the entire country drove something that got 54mpg like the prius, we'd be in a lot better of a situation in the global economy. I'm hoping GM releases a serious hybrid capable of competing with the prius in MPG, price, and quality so we can buy American AND decrease our oil consumption at the same time. The hybrid SUV is a big step for SUV's, but it still a fucking SUV. those looking for 50mpg have nowhere to look right now except toyota and few european diesels.

I will agree with you on killing reliance on foreign oil supply, but that is hardly "cutting back".

How about this:

Toyota might be vet at selling Hybrids, but they don't sell a Hybrid I would consider driving.

I'd rock a Tahoe. Not for that kind of money (used down the road, perhaps). There isn't a Toyota Hybrid I'd own at all.

The article/study your basing this information off of was widely and seriously discredited a long time ago. You can search for 'prius worse than hummer for environment proven wrong' or something to that extent and find what im talking about.

i know of that artical, i am going off what GM told me when i was at the hands on hybrid class.

Guest 614Streets

This is not impressive to me at all , it falls way below any expectations I have for MPG standards and what they should be today. We do not need an economic sector in fuels anymore.

The oil industry as a whole should cease to exsist , a new not yet discovered sector will come about in its absense.

This is not impressive.

i know of that artical, i am going off what GM told me when i was at the hands on hybrid class.

I'm believe they told you that, but I also believe they were citing a study that was later proven to be downright wrong.

Hybrids are nothing more then hype in 99% of the cases. Someone I know just traded in her 07 Escape for a 08 Escape Hybrid because it was going to save her so much in gas. Her payment went up like $300+/mo so she can save $25.00/mo in gas. No shit. She went from 18mpg to 22mpg and she only drives like 7500 miles a year. This was after I advised the family it was a bad idea to purchase the car soley for the goal of saving money. I told them well in advance the car would NEVER see the MPG claims on the window sticker. First time they drove it over, it was a big shocker it wasn't getting 30+mpg.

Look at this Tahoe Hybrid at $55,000. If you want the car your going to pay sticker. Or you can buy the exact same truck that is not a Hybrid for Invoice. So the non hybrid is what $47,000 MSRP after getting the dealership down to invoice and take off the crazy rebates and incentives, you can pick it up for $40,000 flat. So $15,000 savings over the Hybrid. I think Motor Trend when looking at MSRP vs. MSRP said it would take 5-6 years of driving 15,000 miles a year to break even.

I'd be interested to see how gas milage would be increased by simply doing all the weight savings and other changes to a regular tahoe except the batteries and electric motors. I bet you'd see a large gain with that alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Automotive Engineering International Magazine (put out by the Society of Automotive Engineers) just rated the Tahoe Hybrid as the 2008 best engineered vehicle. Here are some reasons why it’s significant for those of you that think it’s a joke:

* Up to 50% better city and 30% better combined fuel economy. (Compared to a 5.3L non-hybrid Tahoe) Its city fuel economy is on par with 4-cyliner mid-size sedans.

* 6200 lb towing capacity on 2WD models

* Eight passenger seating

* Groundbreaking 2-mode hybrid technology. (If you want all the details you would have to read the article, but it really is amazing what they did, in the time they did, and how many different systems they have talking to each other to make the driving experience seamless.)

* Continuously variable gear operation for low-load driving. (With the two electric motors in the transmission it can act as a CVT or normal transmission with fixed gears.)

* “Hybrid Optimizing System” (HOS) algorithms determine best drive gear choice, as well as V8/V4 mode mix.

* Compact 300-volt nickel-metal hydride energy storage system under second row seat

* 300-volt HVAC compressor

* 42-volt electric power steering

* Regenerative and conventional hydraulic brakes

* Launch and drive up to 30 mph on electric power

* 6.0L Gen IV V8 with cylinder deactivation, late-intake-valve closing (Atkinson cycle)

* More economical V4 mode up to 80 mph

* 0.34 coefficient of drag

* Same test-weight as base truck