For the Professionals out there

Tindall2006

I wrote up a rought draft for a resume, Let me know what you think, I will probably be applying for a maintnance position

Made a rought draft of a resume. LMK what u think...

a Maintnance position is what I will probably be applying for, and I can use this for my promotion packet.

Shaun Tindall II

9839 Buckeye Dr

Huntsville, Ohio 43324

1-419-233-0522

tindall2006@yahoo.com

Education

Ft. Jackson South Carolina

U.S. Army Basic Combat Training

Aberdeen Proving Grounds Edgewood Detachment, Maryland

U.S. Army 63B all wheel Vehicle Maintenance School.

Texas A&M Fire Academy

Received volunteer level Fire Fighter I, Fire Fighter II, and High Angle Rescue Certifications

Warrior Leadership Course, Ft McCoy WI

Was trained how to make quick decisions in a stressful environment and take care of soldier’s appointed below me.

Experience

U.S. Army Reserves, 26 March 2005 - Present

As a 63B All wheel Vehicle mechanic I am highly trained to diagnose, repair, and maintain a wide variety of vehicles in high stress, and combat environments. Other duties as a professional soldier include: completing a wide variety of missions, keeping a high level of motivation for soldiers, quick effective decision making, and accurately reporting the status of my soldier’s and equipment to my commander.

Ingleside on the Bay Fire Department, Ingleside on the Bay, Texas August 2004 -May 2006

My duties as a volunteer fire fighter involved fire suppression, salvage and overhaul. I was appointed with the task of maintaining of the fire trucks, keeping them at a high level of readiness. I also was highly involved with the training program, training our firefighters to exceed the training standards.

Bud’s Marina, Indian Lake, Ohio May 2007 – Present

Employed as a Boat Technician, I am responsible for performing quick and accurate diagnostics and repairs to a wide variety of personal watercraft.

AutoZone, Bellefontaine, Ohio

Responsible for assisting customers with the correct parts and technical knowledge involved in performing maintenance on their automobiles correctly.

Related Coursework

Automotive Engine Servicing, Basic Automotive Electrical, Automotive Suspension and Steering, Principals of Leadership, Military Science, Pre Calculus, Chemistry

Computer Skills

Electronic Technical Manuals; Fed Log; Work Order Writing; Microsoft Office to include the following: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access; Parts lookup, Cross-referencing and Ordering.

it doesn't seem extensive enough. I mean, I'm only 19, and my resume is 3 pages long. Go in to much more detail about your experience, especially your related coursework and computer skills sections.

I'm going more for oversea's contractor... thus i would be in a combat zone...

though your oppinions are appreciated, i'll get some more before i decide on rewriting it.

Also, If I menchined all of my other stuff on it, that isn't maintiance related I would defiently be into the three pages.

it doesn't seem extensive enough. I mean, I'm only 19, and my resume is 3 pages long. Go in to much more detail about your experience, especially your related coursework and computer skills sections.

There is absolutely no need, especially at 19 yrs old, to have a 3 page resume. Try to cut out some of the details and condense to one page.

Tindall, try to speak about yourself in the third person. You want your resume to speak about you...not to read like it's an autobiography. Instead of "I mantained trucks" for example, just say "Maintained an extensive array of vehicles" or something like that. Avoid "me", "I", "my" first-person descriptives.

There is absolutely no need, especially at 19 yrs old, to have a 3 page resume. Try to cut out some of the details and condense to one page.

Tindall, try to speak about yourself in the third person. You want your resume to speak about you...not to read like it's an autobiography. Instead of "I mantained trucks" for example, just say "Maintained an extensive array of vehicles" or something like that. Avoid "me", "I", "my" first-person descriptives.

I had a team of people tell me my resume was great. I handed it around to a number of professionals who seemed to think that it was incredibly well written, and every page was worth it. This resume was also presented at the interview for the job I have now. I am not about to go back and change it in any way. Its not like I wrote it to get a job at Meijers, it was to get real jobs.

Tindall,

My only suggestion to you is to refrain from using MY or I.

Example:

I was responsible for rimming my boss's asshole 3 times a day.

Should read:

Responsibilities included scheduled licking of the commander's sphincter.

I had a team of people tell me my resume was great. I handed it around to a number of professionals who seemed to think that it was incredibly well written, and every page was worth it. This resume was also presented at the interview for the job I have now. I am not about to go back and change it in any way. Its not like I wrote it to get a job at Meijers, it was to get real jobs.

I agree with Clay that a 3 page resume, unless you are outlining a VERY long and extremely high level (GM, V.P., CEO, etc) career, would be far too long. My resume is only two pages long and I am at the GM level in my 26 year long career. Your 4 years of work experience should fit on a postage stamp unless you are a nuclear physicist applying for a government job?

So it may be well written, but if it came across my desk I'd probably not read past the first page. Most managers will do the same. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I agree with Clay that a 3 page resume, unless you are outlining a VERY long and extremely high level (GM, V.P., CEO, etc) career, would be far too long. My resume is only two pages long and I am at the GM level in my 26 year long career. Your 4 years of work experience should fit on a postage stamp unless you are a nuclear physicist applying for a government job?

So it may be well written, but if it came across my desk I'd probably not read past the first page. Most managers will do the same. Sorry to burst your bubble.

My high school work experience has nothing to do with my field, and thus, doesn't take up much room. About a paragraph for each job, highlighting the responsibilities I had. For my telecommunications job, I tried to focus my resume on my college education, stuff that has to do with the job I am applying for. On the last page, I listed personal and professional references, which I know for a fact that Liebert called and spoked to every one on the list.

References? I ignore references on the resumes. I want to talk to your previous employers, not just who you want me to talk to.

"References available upon request"

I have a page of references that I take to interviews. No one will call your references before an initial interview takes place, but they will call your previous employers.

In fact, I RARELY get asked for references and I have been on hundreds of interviews. Which brings up another point. You can NEVER interview too much. The more experience you have with them, the better equipped you are when it really counts. I go to interviews for jobs that I have absolutely no interest in just for experience. Been doing it all my adult life.

"References available upon request"

This is all you need regarding this portion of your resume. Rotarded is completely correct. Its assumed reference's will be given upon request but why the hell does your prospective employer want to talk to who YOU want them to talk to?

3 pages for a resume may be a bit much. Hey its cool you got a good job using it but for the most part MOST hiring manager's will get bored with something so long and move onto the next one. Put it this way, your a hiring manager and have 30+ resume's on your desk, are you going to read the one thats 3 pages long and potentially waste your time? nah, skim through pick the few that might be good candidates for interviews and toss the rest.

Have you tried having your precious resume rewritten by a pro?

At this point in your life, I guarantee you haven't had any jobs collectively worth 3 pages of writing. I'll quote my dad's philosophy on resumes: "If, in two well-written sentences per job, the value of your previous experience hasn't become evident to your potential employer, then you should probably leave that job off your resume." Not that as CIO of Nationwide Financial for 5 years he had any experience with resumes or anything. You're applying for a job so you can work for a company, don't let their first impression be that you're making them work by reading 3 pages of "things I learned in College". In fact, beyond your major and honors you received, nothing else really matters much from college (unless you're going for a high-level job, GPA doesn't factor in much either).

Back on topic. Tindall the best thing I can advise you to do is stay away from the statements that tell the reader nothing: "Other duties as a professional soldier include: completing a wide variety of missions". When I read that, all it says to me is "he was a soldier, and he did things as a soldier..." but that really doesn't say anything as to why your experience in the reserves is important or why it makes you qualified for the job. Empty statements like that will just hurt you.

+1

+2

I went to countless resume seminars (as well as many revisions with professionals on my own resume) while in college, and every single one said to keep it at 1 page (not including references, which should normally only be given out when requested).

I wrote up a rought draft for a resume, Let me know what you think, I will probably be applying for a maintnance position

a Maintnance position is what I will probably be applying for, and I can use this for my promotion packet.

Shaun Tindall II

9839 Buckeye Dr

Huntsville, Ohio 43324

1-419-233-0522

tindall2006@yahoo.com

Education

Texas A&M Fire Academy

Received volunteer level Fire Fighter I, Fire Fighter II, and High Angle Rescue Certifications

Was trained how to make quick decisions in a stressful environment and take care of soldier’s appointed below me.

Experience

As a 63B All wheel Vehicle mechanic I am highly trained to diagnose, repair, and maintain a wide variety of vehicles in high stress, and combat environments. Other duties as a professional soldier include: completing a wide variety of missions, keeping a high level of motivation for soldiers, quick effective decision making, and accurately reporting the status of my soldier’s and equipment to my commander.

Ingleside on the Bay Fire Department, Ingleside on the Bay, Texas August 2004 -May 2006

My duties as a volunteer fire fighter involved fire suppression, salvage and overhaul. I was appointed with the task of maintaining of the fire trucks, keeping them at a high level of readiness. I also was highly involved with the training program, training our firefighters to exceed the training standards.

Employed as a Boat Technician, I am responsible for performing quick and accurate diagnostics and repairs to a wide variety of personal watercraft.

Responsible for assisting customers with the correct parts and technical knowledge involved in performing maintenance on their automobiles correctly.

Related Coursework

Automotive Engine Servicing, Basic Automotive Electrical, Automotive Suspension and Steering, Principals of Leadership, Military Science, Pre Calculus, Chemistry

Computer Skills

Electronic Technical Manuals; Fed Log; Work Order Writing; Microsoft Office to include the following: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access; Parts lookup, Cross-referencing and Ordering.

you need more detail what did you actually do... Also, if a manager doesnt know microsoft office includes worde, excell, access, PP, then they probably shouldnt be a manager and reviewing your resume. Granted I'm only 23 but I am the manager of the trade desk for one of the top 50 brokerage firms......

And itll be tossed out and not even read by 90% of people you give that to.

WAY too long.

At this point in your life, I guarantee you haven't had any jobs collectively worth 3 pages of writing.

What the hell is up with people not even reading what I post, and then commentating on what I say? I blatantly said that my 2 jobs I had during high school both only had about one paragraph of text, briefly describing what my responsibilities were. The other 2 pages are descriptions of what I have learned thus far in my degree, with the small references section at the bottom of the last page.

On the other hand.. to have a 3 page READY for them to view DURING an interview isnt a bad idea. Especially in the IT field, most people want to know what youve gotten your hands on.

Exactly. I can't just tell them that I have half a degree and half a cisco certification, I had to show them what I already knew. They said that I was one of the most qualified interns they have ever hired.

LOL

The only person I know with a 3 page long resume that actually needs it is a bank president...

What the hell is up with people not even reading what I post, and then commentating on what I say? I blatantly said that my 2 jobs I had during high school both only had about one paragraph of text, briefly describing what my responsibilities were. The other 2 pages are descriptions of what I have learned thus far in my degree, with the small references section at the bottom of the last page.

That is what a cover letter is for. HR systems will reject your resume

Shaun Tindall II

9839 Buckeye Dr

Huntsville, Ohio 43324

1-419-233-0522

tindall2006@yahoo.com

Education

Texas A&M Fire Academy

Experience

Related Coursework

Computer Skills

Bullet your responsibilities. Make them power words. They should be stated as facts rather than sentances.

Here I did the first one for you

U.S. Army Reserves, 63B All wheel Vehicle mechanic 26 March 2005 - Present

*Diagnose, maintain and repair combat vehicles

*Complete high stress missions

*Maintain motivation level

*Make quick effective decisions

*Provide XXXX(daily, weekly, monthly) status reports to the commander

Make sure any job that you USED to have is all past tense.