For the Professionals out there

Tindall2006

Resumes are NOT supposed to be more than a page most of the time... As others have said, employers most likely read tons of these and quick/to the point is much better than a life explanation. You are supposed to elaborate your resume at the interview.

Thanks for the Advice!!! I will be doing alot of re editing!!!

I also had sent it to my dad and he gave some good advice too, and also said I should add a hobby section reguarding my DSM lol

HOBBIES

"BOATING, FISHING, SNOWMOBILING, DRUMS, MUSIC, HUNTINIG ??? ETC.

ENJOY CAR PERFORMANCE AND RESTORATION ACTIVITES AS RELATED TO AN EAGLE

TALON AWD TURBO. MY EXPERIANCE AS AN OWNER OF A TUNER CAR HAS IMPROVED

MY

ABILITY TO DIAGNOSE MECHANICAL FAILURE ON THE ROAD IN STRESSFUL

CONDITIONS

QUICKLY AND EFFICENTLY. MY SKILLS TO REPAIR CAR IS THIS SITUATION RIVAL

THOSE SEEN ON "MCGYVER" AND THE "A-TEAM" TV SERIS. I ALSO HAVE SUPERIOR

CELL PHONE SPEED DIALING PROGRAMMING SKILLS FOR A VARITY OF TOW TRUCK

COMPANIES AND AM AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF AAA ROADSIDE SERVICE. I ALSO HAVE

EXCELLENT PART PROCURMENT, NEGOITTION, AND PURCHASING/SHIPPING SKILLS

TO

OBTAIN HARD TO FIND OBSOLETE PARTS. MY LIGHING FAST REFLEXES ALLOW ME

TO

WIN MANY EBAY AUCTIONS EVEN THOUGH I AM HANDICAPPED BY MY SLOW AMD

COMPUTER."

I'm no expert but have been in management and will give you CR advice.....even though your young and fresh, pay a pro. I don't care what anyone else says, pay a pro.

It needs to be taylored to your experience and type of career you're going after. No need to put in reference comments...assumed...no need for Objectives....old school and dated.

Put down 1-2 brief sentances on what your responsibilies were at previous positions and then bulllet point the value you can bring to a company today.

As an employer I want 5 seconds of job description. I'm looking for consistant success but don't want a list of all your accomplishements. Once a consistant sucessful person is identified, I look for 'what can you do for me now'

Net it out with percentages, numbers, facts and measurable items that show relavance to why you are the best candidate.

It's not expensive....couple hun$ at most. I had a professional level executive resume and bio written for just under $1k and it netted me tens of that in return.

A resume is the one single item you want a pro to do. Write your own for sale ads but anything related to income that is going to possibly be a significant amount and in a competetive market, get it done by the winners out there the job/marketplace.

Another key is key-words. Resume's today are most all sucked up electronically and searched by recruiters, both internal and external. You need to work with a firm that knows these systems and the key words and their relavance to your position. Otherwise you're not even going to get noticed. Ask about that when you interview resume folks.

Just my two cents.

One of my good friends has 2 resumes a six pager (yes 6 pages) and a 1 page resume. The one page resume is what he submits when he applies and will take the six page with him to the intreview. He will offer it if they like/want more details about certain jobs.

depends on the position. 2-3 pages is common in todays market. however, it depends on the position and the canidate. if you're job hopping every 2-3 years, it's not a good thing to show. if you're consistant with 5-7+ years and have a lot of good value, then you're fine. lower end jobs or a person with little experience, 1 page maybe two.

I know a lot of companys through away a resume that is over 2 pages. They really like 1 page short and to the point.

honestly.....weird.....resume's get you in the door...they get you a phone or face to face interview, nothing more. he shouldn't be handing someone a resume at an interview. when he's there that's the time to expound on such things in person....the whole reason for being interviewed.

a phone interview is a screening...emailing, sending or faxing anything afterwards is too late as the decision for round 2 is made during the call/shortly after.

at an interview, if a candidate can't cut it in person another resume isn't going to get him to round 2.

One of my good friends has 2 resumes a six pager (yes 6 pages) and a 1 page resume. The one page resume is what he submits when he applies and will take the six page with him to the intreview. He will offer it if they like/want more details about certain jobs.

honestly.....weird.....resume's get you in the door...they get you a phone or face to face interview, nothing more. he shouldn't be handing someone a resume at an interview. when he's there that's the time to expound on such things in person....the whole reason for being interviewed.

a phone interview is a screening...emailing, sending or faxing anything afterwards is too late as the decision for round 2 is made during the call/shortly after.

at an interview, if a candidate can't cut it in person another resume isn't going to get him to round 2.

I would agree but it works for him.

What industry are you in?

I was in technology, hardware and enterprise wide software solution sales. both at a District Sales level and National Sales Manager level.

Now I'm at a large architectural design and development company working in the vertical market solution sales calling on c-level executives.

Slightly different than noted in this post, but I interview(ed) everyone from admins to counter-parts.

My key take-aways for the OP are to "show consistancy and achievement", "what can you do for me now" and "why you over him"

Land the interview and prepare for it. If the job is close to your experience, show "transferable skill-sets" and how they will accomplish the above.

Give real world examples that you can talk about during the interview. what did you do, who for, how you can do the same at the new company and what it will help them achieve. Quantify everything with tangable results and measurements.

Regardless of the level or industry, investing in a pro is not only smart but will be respected by the person on the other end. If they ask, you're darn right someone wrote it for you. The experiece is yours and you made an investment and have "skin in the game" Employers will recognize that as a strong positive move.

What industry are you in?

you're young and given your experience it's ok to include it. I would put it at the end. Experience and relevance to the position should lead.

With your military background, pull your leadership and guidance card out where you can. you're disciplined and structured and have a plan off attack for things. play the cards you have to your advantage.

Ok, I worked on the diffrent seciton we discussed, anyone think I should put any more detail into my Education or Related Coursework sections?

Guest mrhobbz
Exactly. I can't just tell them that I have half a degree and half a cisco certification, I had to show them what I already knew. They said that I was one of the most qualified interns they have ever hired.

You're goofy.

I just spent a month with a career counselor and I have a professional resume..some tips: 1)max 2 pages unless you are in an executive level or scientific position. 2) do not list hobbies unless they pertain to your vocation(race car driver), 3) no cover letter unless exec position...an HR manager will give your resume 15-30 seconds, so it's the resume or the cover letter you choose. 4)do not use sentences, use bullet points highlighting what you acomplished at each position, do not just give the job description. ex: "developed organizational strategy which reduced costs by 10% and increased productivity 17%" 5) do not put "references available on request" they already know this, and as was mentioned, most places never call references unless you have no job history because they know you wouldn't put someone on that list that wouldn't lie for you. Well those are the top 5, I learned that myself and everyone I know had shitty resumes, 90% of people are in the same boat. Good Luck!

I feel bad because I barely read peoples resumes when they submit them. I hate to admit it, but I peruse them for skills that apply specifically to database management and everything else I could fall asleep to. Though I am sure there are plenty of people who actually read them in their entirety.