cant shift..

Jonan1647545505

so im putting this 83 honda vt750 together finally got all the parts i was waiting on and now i find out that the bike doesnt change gears. it isnt running yet, not together enough for a test. before i tear it all down are there any other options? the shift peg moves up and down, but when i move the lever it doesnt click into a different gear, its almost like something isnt lined up or something... i dunno know. the manual i have says before servicing clutch etc to shift into the highest gear, which i cant do!! so where should start...

are you sure the lever isnt just spinning on the shaft?

yep...going to buy 27mm socket for clutch removal...

it will go up like you can upshift but it doesnt engage the next gear. pushing the lever down if feels like its in first and cant go lower....

we'll see what happens once i get the clutch assembly out...

ok so ive tried rolling it back and forth while trying to change gears, with and w/o holding the clutch in.

i took the clutch assembly out and and the clutch basket cog teeth were not lined up with the primary gear. so i took the bushing out from the center of the basket moved the basket to line up with the primary gear. also the presure plate one-way bearing was installed backwards. everything spins freely as it should until i put the nut on and tighten it.

i dont have a torque wrench, it requires 33-40lbft.

once fully assembled it still doesnt shift out of what i believe is 1st gear.

ive read the section in the service manual too many times now. i took a break for the simpsons and family guy, and am going back out now