98 WS6 Alternator Questions

clayton006

Hello. I have some questions about my alternator on my 98ws6. I think it's bad due to my lights pulsing really bad during normal driving. I can turn the parking lights off and still see my radio lights pulse a good bit. I just replaced the battery so I'm assuming that the alternator is not the culprit.

My other question is that I had my power steering pump changed about 2 months ago. The jack hole who put it back on forgot to hook back up the hoses and when he told me to start the car, fluid went everywhere. Could this have fried my alternator? I know that it's on the bottom of the car and it probably gets wet from rain and stuff from the road, but I'm guessing this fluid could kill it?

I'm taking a look at it now and the area where the hoses hook into the rack and pinion look moist but I don't see any dripping or any real fluid down there (ie. I don't think my new pump is leaking). Am I safe in putting another alternator on there right now?

Thanks in advance.

Check the exciter wire thats on the top of the alternator, there known for being damaged/broken and causing the lights to pulse. My alternator took a crap about 2 months ago and my new one still has the lights pulsing issue, but atleast it's not causing my trip odometer to reset like the old one was ;). But yea, check the little wire on the top of the alt 1st, LS1tech.com is a good place to get some info about your problem also.

Chad

I'm having a look on there right now. I also noticed that my battery cradle or something like that is cracked and the battery can move around a little bit.

They all do that, the waterbottle for your fluid reservoir is cracked where the battery ties in like most, your best bet is to get a piece of metal and fab up a tie down, or just live with it. Year One sells a new cradle but as a few of my friends have found, they also break -=P