Wakeboard people, in here....

Nitrousbird

I've skied for years (pretty much nothing but slalom now), but have never gotten into wakeboarding. My fiancée got me a wakeboard for X-mas, and I finally got to use it yesterday.

Took 3 tries to get up, doing what I heard was the correct way (board sitting flat, then turning once it starts going up). For my first session, I ran a rear fin, after that, I ran no fin.

At this point, what things should I be practicing/learning? How should I arrange my "bindings" in terms of stance and angle? I have never snow boarded before, so I have no reference to that (again, I've been a snow skier as well). How long of a rope should I run?

My boat is just a 17' open bow I/O runabout (what the public would call a ski boat, though it really isn't). I can tell with the rope mounted low, it is a disadvantage. The fiancée is discussing getting a wakeboard boat as early as next year. :D But for now, how fast should we be going? We just left it trimmed all the way down, but the boat planes out pretty easily...pretty much kept it just at the point of where in planes out.

Overall, we really enjoyed the wakeboard. Much easier to get up than slalom, and didn't wear me out nearly as much (and the wipe outs are far less painful, since you are going about 1/2 the speed). I did it for a while, so my hands and forearms are dead. I learned to transition from my natural left foot forward, and spin around to my very unnatural right foot foward (I know I need to work on that a lot, including body position with the rope). I need to work on turning my body more w/ the rope, as I'm used to the ski position. I can get out of the wake and all of that, though it is a lot harder without the fin. I enjoyed riding much more finless though.

60' Rope, and buy the wakeboard no-stretch one. You won't notice any difference now, but as soon as you start getting air you will.

Stance, whatever is comfortable to you.

I like ~18mph, but most like around 22.

Start working on getting air, try clearing the wake.

I think it is a lot easier to go with the wake to your back and cut in. And after you clear the wake a few times try a a couple grabs. Remember to bring the board upto you, don't lean down to the board.

what kind of boat do you have?

17' Sea Ray I/O bowrider, with Alpha 1 outdrive, 2 year old 3.0L crate motor (updated boat to the difference for the new motor), composite prop. I'm very pleased with the composite prop too.

60' Rope, and buy the wakeboard no-stretch one. You won't notice any difference now, but as soon as you start getting air you will.

Stance, whatever is comfortable to you.

I like ~18mph, but most like around 22.

Start working on getting air, try clearing the wake.

I think it is a lot easier to go with the wake to your back and cut in. And after you clear the wake a few times try a a couple grabs. Remember to bring the board upto you, don't lean down to the board.

The board came with a wakeboard rope, so I'm set there. I'm not sure on the length; I'll have to measure it.

When jumping wakes, would I be better off using fins as "training wheels" before going finless?

Speed wise, I was right around 18-20 indicated, but I have no clue as to the accuracy of my speedo. I need to get a GPS and really find out.

Honestly, my boat doesn't make an impressive wake, so I'll see how much air I can get on the board. If I shorten the rope up a bit, I can get closer to the higher part of the boat's wake, so that may help a bit.

17' Sea Ray I/O bowrider, with Alpha 1 outdrive, 2 year old 3.0L crate motor (updated boat to the difference for the new motor), composite prop. I'm very pleased with the composite prop too.

The board came with a wakeboard rope, so I'm set there. I'm not sure on the length; I'll have to measure it.

When jumping wakes, would I be better off using fins as "training wheels" before going finless?

Speed wise, I was right around 18-20 indicated, but I have no clue as to the accuracy of my speedo. I need to get a GPS and really find out.

Honestly, my boat doesn't make an impressive wake, so I'll see how much air I can get on the board. If I shorten the rope up a bit, I can get closer to the higher part of the boat's wake, so that may help a bit.

Sounds like its time for a wakeboard boat Joe :D