cleaning an engine - help

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112
whats the best way to clean an engine? i know degreaser for oil and grease and stuff...but i bought a truck thats been offroad and the whole engine bay is covered in dirt...whats the best way to clean it? and what do i have to cover up? plug wires alternator etc

The main things that need to be covered are the distributor/coil packs, the carb/air cleaner, and any computer modules under the hood. Other than that, you pretty well should be able spray on your degreaser then hit it with a pressure washer. That's what I've always done, and really haven't had any significant issue.

Guest tbutera2112
space, do you close anything off? i mean...its covered in mud, so im assuming that if it was gonna get hurt from being wet it would have done that already...so ill probably jsut try to wash it...dont have a pressure washer, but ill use an attachment on the garden hose with a flood setting or something

My car is a bit different being a Flat 4, I cover my altenator, and a few things. I just Spray Simple Green on almost everything and let sit for 15 min and spray a little again and hose off, the simple green soaks into black plastics and makes them kinda shiny and new looking. I then wash the painted surfaces in the engine bay I can see and reach.

Guest tbutera2112
ok ill have to see if i can find some simple green....gotta go to school though so ill check back later if yall have anything other suggestions

Guest tbutera2112
do i want to use engine shine before cleaning the dirt off? i dont care if the engine looks show room clean..i jsut want to get some of the mud off of it since it kinda smells like a field when it heats up

Guest tbutera2112
yea i probably will come to think about it...just dont know when, i took it around the block and hit some construction sites this afternoon and got it off the pavement a little bit, but didnt want to leave the neighborhood because of my driving restrictions...is it bad to let it go? whenever i used to go riding on my dirt bike i made sure to clean it off after every ride and so did all my buddies

Guest tbutera2112
the bike was water cooled...but i guess i dont see any reason why it would matter...thanks, maybe ill just try to spray it good with a hose and call it a day