Gear (boot/suit) recomendations?

Harb67

So I'm sitting on a nice chunk of change from Christmas that is all going towards gear...particularly boots and a suit. I'm sick of hitting Hocking and Coshocton and wearing jeans and sneakers; I'd prefer to keep my skin when my number comes up and I take my turn on the asphalt. I figured it'd be a good idea to ask here before I go blowing my money expensive stuff that may or may not be what I should actually be getting.

Boots -

This is really the area where I'm most undecided. I've been looking at Sidi's simply because I've heard that they're more or less the best boots out there, although they are a bit pricey. These boots will be mostly used for riding out in the twisties; track use is a possibility but not a certainty. I'm not particularly concerned with getting something I can ride around town and go into stores comfortably in, and therefore I'm looking for 'tall' style boots rather than the shorter style of boots such as Teknic Freestyle's.

I've been looking at both Sidi B2's and Sidi Vertigo's. Anything more expensive than that is out of my price range. I like both boots and from what I've read, they're both quality equipment...I'm just not sure if the Vertigo's are worth the extra money. I'm not completely set on either of these boots though, so I'm open to suggestions.

Suit -

I'm more certain about which suit I want, but figured I would ask anyway because for all I know, there's something better out there.

In most discussions I've read here about suits, 2-piece suits havn't gotten much love. However, in my situation, a 1-piece suit isn't really practical. The suit will be used for mostly the same thing the boots will be and will live mostly out in the twisties, but track days aren't totally out of the question either. However, unlike boots, I do want something I can wear for everyday use, and this is where the 2-piece style comes in. I've got a good riding jack right now, but it's bulky and was a bit too big when I bought it, and will most certainly be too big come springtime because I'm losing weight. Thus, I need a new riding jacket and I can't afford to buy a jacket and 1-piece suit for this coming season.

I'm looking at getting a Joe Rocket GPX Type R 2-piece suit. I'm considering this one mostly because it's the most affordable one I can find and from what I've read it appears to be a pretty solid piece that's track-capable. However, I'm not totally in love with the looks and I'm very open to suggestions if anyone can recommend something else in the sub-600$ range (though 500 is more my target...)

Thanks for reading, any input people can give would be appreciated :)

I really like my Sidi Vertigo's. But I suggest you go for the Vertigo Air's because I've felt my foot getting very warm more than a few times last riding season, not just in the summer months but also in the fall. The fit IMO is extremely nice too. I couldnt fit into Astar boots as well as the Sidi's. The B2's are also really nice and fit great. I suggest going to Iron Pony and trying on some different boots, Sidis, Astars, and Oxtars to see which really feels comfortable for you. As far as a suit goes, I see nothing wrong with getting a 2-piece. Astar makes a few very reasonable suits for under $700 and theres a couple of other companies out there that are under $600. But I personally have loved the feel of both of the Astar 2-piece suits I've had, felt like i wasnt even wearing anything, plus the ventalition is great! Hope that helps.

How are your Vertigo's in the wet? I'm not talking complete downpour (I do my best to keep out of the rain), but will your feet get soaked if you get caught in the rain? I'll check the Air's out when I stop by the Pony next week, I've never been one to worry about getting too hot while riding, but then again I've never ridden in anything but heavy hiking boots at best.

i love my vertigo's, ive never had a problem in the heat, the vents work pretty good, and you can close them too. i ride in the rain all the time, and ive never had one drop get inside. Sidi's (any kind) are extremely comfy, i would wear them daily if i didnt have to worry about wear and tear. Ive wrecked twice in mine, highside at 80, lowside at 40 and i slid for 20 feet or so. The plastic is scratched, and thats the only thing it did, i walked away from both, the next day, everything was sore except my head and everything from the knee down.

as a suit goes, i would reccomend the gericke celtic suit from sportbiketrackgear, when i was shopping, i didnt see any negative reviews, i saw quite a few at the track, these suits are built too, armor and thick padding everywhere. sptg is the only place to get it, but just look at the sizing chart, they are true to that, and they have awesome customer service. i think they retail for 700, i got mine for 300 on clearance because it was the smallest size they came in, and it was bright green

i would wear them daily if i didnt have to worry about wear and tear.

Oh that reminds me; do motorcycle boots like these have extremely soft soles or something? I only ask because I know that the high-end ones have replaceable soles and your mention of wear and tear adds to my suspicion. At first I figured that the high-end ones have replaceable soles because of brake/shifter wear, but now I'm curious if they have soft soles in general that wear out with normal walking.

the older sidi's soles wore out like crazy from what i heard, but they have since gotten smart and designed replaceable soles.

good idea to go to pony and try on all the different boots they offer and make your decision off that.

question: why 2 piece? don't you already have a jacket? so now you'd have two jackes?? i say get a one piece and you'll be happy. don't forget to keep snooping around those ebay delears getting rid of their inventory. bought my 1pc for 75% off.

Sidi's are the way to go on boots, no doubt about it. Hard to go cheap on boots.

For a suit, I'd put Joe Rocket on the low end of leathers out there, have a couple friends who have owned them and stitching was weak and they wore quickly. My JR mesh jacket isn't holding up well either, for that matter.

I like Teknic stuff if you're on a budget. You can usually find last year's gear at good prices, and the quality is pretty good. Fieldsheer too, my 1 piece is a FS vented and it's been superb.