Variable Rod?

Nate1647545505

i didn't watch all of it but it looks like he has done alot of work and has some testing to back up his design. it may just be me but i don't think it would work very well with high HP or bosted cars. with the extra pressure from higher compression in the cylinders i think it would wear or damage the piston skirts when the rod is on either side of center. like taking 2 legs off a table and hopeing it will still stand up.

Call me stupid but what is this really acomplishing? I guess I just don't see alot of benefit from this, did I miss something or did he say what the real world benfit was. He put this engine together ran it for 73000 miles, shows us how it wore, how it went together, and that he even got it patented, but didn't descibe how well it ran.

Call me oldfashioned, but more parts moving is not a good thing. Just my $.02

Call me stupid but what is this really acomplishing? I guess I just don't see alot of benefit from this, did I miss something or did he say what the real world benfit was. He put this engine together ran it for 73000 miles, shows us how it wore, how it went together, and that he even got it patented, but didn't descibe how well it ran.

Much more quench time at TDC and lower piston speeds.

listen to the first 45 seconds... it might not mean anyhting to you, but thats where the advantages are explained.

Guest GMoney
Much more quench time at TDC and lower piston speeds.

I don't care what you or he says but the piston can NOT rest at the TDC longer AND have lower piston speed. What he is accomplishing is a better rod angle. This will cause the designer to get a longer rod and have the all the advantages of a long rod without the self destruction of a long rod motor. I would boost this design but never would i rev a long ass rod like that to 10k.

I don't care what you or he says but the piston can NOT rest at the TDC longer AND have lower piston speed. What he is accomplishing is a better rod angle. This will cause the designer to get a longer rod and have the all the advantages of a long rod without the self destruction of a long rod motor. I would boost this design but never would i rev a long ass rod like that to 10k.

Youre missing the point. The "resting" IS the lower piston speed. The acceleration force is applied over a longer period of time, slowing the change of direction down. This reduces chance of snapping a wrist pin, like many of us have in the past.

You can not care all you want. Its an amazing design. I just wish I would have done it first.

Guest GMoney
Youre missing the point. The "resting" IS the lower piston speed. The acceleration force is applied over a longer period of time, slowing the change of direction down. This reduces chance of snapping a wrist pin, like many of us have in the past.

You can not care all you want. Its an amazing design. I just wish I would have done it first.

It doesn't matter if you are accelerating at a different rate you are still traveling the same distance with each revolution. That is the piston speed. Speed*Time=Distance where one revolution is time and dependent on the RPM. The distance is fixed but changes with the rod length. There is no acceleration to figure speed unless the rod is "sitting" a shorter time at the top or bottom. If it did then that would that would benefit.

The acceleration is due to the rod angle and Yes(i am agreeing with you) that is what kills a long rod or stroke motor.

Guest GMoney
I'm gonna go for 4. I watched the video again and with the current "Sweep" design in the piston, causes the piston speed to accelerate down quicker from TDC and then on the up stroke the acceleration is slowed. That is the 15 thousands difference in the standard rod that he shows from .47 to 1.13 between the up and down stroke.

I dont care what the condition of the pistons look like. With all that movement what do the cyclinder walls looks like?

shh....brian look, my alphabets are trying to tell me something. they are saying OOOOOOOOOOOO.

Peter those are cheeros.

i didn't watch all of it but it looks like he has done alot of work and has some testing to back up his design. it may just be me but i don't think it would work very well with high HP or bosted cars. with the extra pressure from higher compression in the cylinders i think it would wear or damage the piston skirts when the rod is on either side of center. like taking 2 legs off a table and hopeing it will still stand up.

That is my thought.

Pretty nifty. I'm really amazed that there is no wear in the piston pin slot though. I would think that wear and galling would be a problem without a coating, insert, or some kind of oil film preventing direct metal on metal contact, even if it is highly polished.