Adventures in Weather eariler, WOW.....

spankis

Anybody else drive in the craziness earlier? I'd say it was likely the heaviest rain I've ever driven in, and I was on my way down to campus and got stuck in it.

I live between lancaster and canal, so I came 33 to 70 and it started about miller kelton area on 70. The wipers on the dakota couldn't keep up on max speed once it started, and it took me a good 10 minutes to get to 315 from the miller kelton area. When I did, all of 315 at Mount Carmel was completely stopped in front of me. Once I got stopped I saw that 315 was completely flooded at the broad street overpass, and basically everyone was just stuck looking at it, unable to backup and afraid to drive through it. People started TURNING AROUND and driving down on-ramps in the wrong direction.

I waited a few minutes expecting it to drain away, but it was obviously getting higher as I sat there. After 5 minutes or so I saw a few brave souls push through it and I made my own way to the berm, to the front of the pack. I just figured 'screw it, it's not getting any lower'. It was probably a foot and half or two feet of water, easy, and two or three hundred feet of the freeway covered. I had seen a few trucks cross, and I figured the water was just below the bottom of the doors. My only thoughts were, don't stop so I keep the wave moving ahead of me, and don't drive so fast that I splash water high enough to potentially reach the intake....

Anyway, just thought I'd share since it was a pretty unique driving experience as far as flooding, especially for the freeway, you know. It was super satisfying making my way to the other side of the water, only to find an empty freeway ahead and hundreds of afraid drivers stopped behind me across all the water :). Anybody else have any adventures as a result of the weather?

I was on a regional jet coming in from Philly right durng the storm. It was clear until about downtown, then we got slammed. The pilot actually tried to land and we were a few few above the runway when he went WOT (whatever in a jet) and just shot right back up. We circled forever and went out to Dayton, and came back into the storm. He actually landed with the downpour and lightning everywhere.

We pull up within about 100' from the gate and stop. The tower refused to let personnel run the gate because the lightning was unsafe for them, yet they're landing fucking airplanes in this shit?

My flight pulled in almost an hour and a half late.

Yeah that shit was wild. I couldn't see more than 5-10 feet in front of me while doing like 10mph.

... and I almost rode to work/class that day. That would have sucked.

Fail, riding to class/work yesterday would have been the best story ever to tell!

It rained in Dublin pretty good for a while yesterday. Then I ended up driving back through the storm to get home in Westerville. I get home and leave to head to the St. Louisville area and the storm was hitting my house. So again I get a head of it while driving. Never rained a drop when I got to St. Louisville, but the storm did blow over us.

My neighbor is a weather spotter for north blacklick/ south gahanna and I went with hims yesterday and everything in his "zone" was just decent rain. Everytime we would look to the south (about Broad St.) we could see how dark it was and all the lightning.

I left IPS @ 4pm yesterday when i noticied on radar all kinds of nasty coming. I was turning onto my street when I herd the first thunder and by the time i had my helment and shit off in the garage it was pourin.

I rember thinking damn it if I get pulled over I'm going to be real fucking wet.

Dodge Dakota's are good for about 3 feet of water. I learned that in my Fire Department Day's in texas when we would have hurricanes come threw.

I also managed to float a Mini van down the street while crossing a 3 foot deep section once too!!

I was just getting onto 670 from Grandview when it started raining. Traffic was already bad, but when the real stuff hit, it just completely and utterly stopped. I was maybe 10 feet back from a truck, and could BARELY see his brake lights. Brand new trailer with LED bulbs too.

Some poor bastard was stopped under a bridge with his Harley. It was NO help, the rain was SPRAYING all the way under the bridge it was hitting so hard.

A caller on 610 last night said the rain came so hard and fast that a car was getting off of 315 (somewhere) and the water just came straight up and went halfway up the car