Gahanna Fence Laws

Razorback

Anyone here live in Gahanna that is familiar with the laws of putting fences up in your yard? I'd like to put a fence up on one side of my house and I was wondering if it was illegal in Gahanna?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Anyone here live in Gahanna that is familiar with the laws of putting fences up in your yard? I'd like to put a fence up on one side of my house and I was wondering if it was illegal in Gahanna?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

there is no city wide ban, but there are neighborhoods whom don't allow fences.

Thanks. I apologize for my ignorance, but how do I find out of my neighborhood doesn't allow it? Is there a website with rules for certain areas, or a place I call, etc.?

Thanks for the response.

White pages is your friend. Look in the government section for Gahanna, city of. You probably want something like the city engineer, if there is one, or building code enforcement, something of that nature. My white pages got used for target practice recently, or I'd have it for you.

My neighborhood has a HOA of sorts, not truly a HOA though. But they have some rules about fences, mainly setup just to help property values. No idea how to look it up. What area are you in? Any neighbors with fences?

Thanks for the responses fellas.

My neighborhood has a HOA of sorts, not truly a HOA though. But they have some rules about fences, mainly setup just to help property values. No idea how to look it up. What area are you in? Any neighbors with fences?

I'm over on the west side of Gahanna near the airport, close to Goshen Lane Elementary, but on the other side of Johnstown Road. No one that I've seen (although I honestly haven't looked as I figured I'd have to check w/ some government official anyway) has any full fledged fences. I will check into this. Thanks very much for the responses.

All of those laws, rules, and regulations the dictate what you can and can't do with the land that YOU own are BS.

X2

the rules here aren't stringent though. Here you can have a fence it just cant be steel. Basically they just don't want it to look trashy. No above ground pools either.

Thanks for the responses fellas.

I'm over on the west side of Gahanna near the airport, close to Goshen Lane Elementary, but on the other side of Johnstown Road. No one that I've seen (although I honestly haven't looked as I figured I'd have to check w/ some government official anyway) has any full fledged fences. I will check into this. Thanks very much for the responses.

I really doubt you'd have any problems with a fence over there.

You're about right across the street from me.

You'll probably need a permit to do anything. I'm going to need one to build a port on the front of my house.

I'd start with calling the City of Gahanna and go from there.

Btw, I'm in Royal Manor (the ghetto) and there are fences probably at every other house here. Lots of peeps have dogs.

or you can call 211 they will give you the number you need without looking in a phone book you probably dont have if your like me and throw them out as soon as it touches my porch they may even be able to tell you without transfering you

Guest mrhobbz
All of those laws, rules, and regulations the dictate what you can and can't do with the land that YOU own are BS.

No one really owns their land.

That's what everyone says until their neighbors do something they don't like.

I'd give up that "protection" to have the rights land owners should have. Would I like it if my neighbor painted his house yellow with pink polkadots and put up an ugly steel fence? Ofcoarse not. The question is why? Well thats obvious too, it would look awful, and these "rules" protect us from looking at these awful things. The problem is that just because the majority of people don't like it, the land owner can't have it. What would it hurt really? Nothing at all.

"Ownership" has really taken on a different meaning than a couple hundred years ago. It used to mean to have control of property. They need to change the definition to being liable for property. You don't have control of shit.

I know there is a regulation that we can't have ours over 8ft.. IIRC? BUT, my dad was smart and put an 8ft privacy fence up, and then a 2ft decoration on top, so really it's a 10ft fence lol.

yes/no.....in the case of fences, I'm glad we have certain rules in our area. otherwise, you'll have nice homes with cheap ass chain link fences, 14 different styles or 8' privacy fences that eventually aren't cared for and warp to crap, etc.....

standards are just that....to keep the crap out as best possible so the rest of the homes owners that have to look at it don't have to worry.

same goes for colors and styles. just drive through any of the less than good areas here in cbus and you'll see what I mean.