I think I need the timing chain replaced

blue98ls1

After messing around with my 95 maxima for a while, I am pretty sure the timing chain or tensioner or something inside that cover is what broke, came loose or whatever. The car will start and run but makes a lot of really bad noises from the pass side of the engine area where the timing chain is located.

I do not have time to fix it, too many other car projects, so anyone on here want to make some cash?

You are welcome to come out and look at it first before giving me a price quote. And if it can be done in the driveway you can even fix it here and use my tools as long as you are serious about finishing the job once you start it. Or I can have it towed to you, whatever makes your life easier. I would like this done very soon though. I am located on the South Side of Columbus.

PM me a number I can reach you at if your interested in fixing it.

let me look at the labor involved and ill shoot you a pm

edit wow book time is 12 hours..

12 hours holy shit. :eek: Hope I never have one of those come into work. Good luck finding someone to do that without really costing you.

Guest Removed
12 hours holy shit. :eek: Hope I never have one of those come into work. Good luck finding someone to do that without really costing you.

hell the 4 cylinders in the stanza's where a pain ...

Guest Removed
well if i could post the alldata info i would show you, otherwise, drop the oil pan, and remove the whole side of the engine where the timing chain is...hence not fun

Guest Removed
the last nissan I worked on you had to pull the cylinder heads off to change the timing chain

it says you have to, put ive done it without doing that.(must have been a stanza?)

Guest Removed
I forget but it called for less time to r&r the whole motor than it did to change the chain

hom many miles does your car have on it?

if its over 150k your farther ahead to replace the motor

dave if your a service writer and priced that job like that you would be getting yelled at! and for junk yard stuff i always add a few hours for the unknown issue!

Engine

Replace

Complete Assembly Without Transfer of Parts B 11.9

Does Not Include: Transfer Of Any Part Of Engine Or Replacement Of Optional Equipment.

Complete Assembly With Transfer of Parts B 16.7

Includes: Transfer Of All Fuel & Electrical Units, Does Not Include Replacement Of Optional Equipment.

right out of alldata! and thats for a long block. short block pays 25.6 overhaul pays 33.5

I thought about an engine swap, but the engine in the car was/is running fine except for the noise it is making behind that cover now. It wasn't loosing any oil between oil changes or making any noises or anything prior to whatever broke.

I don't know how reliable most Nissan engines are, but I had a swap done in a Subaru and the engine that went in was worse than the original and I dont want to run into that again.

And the car has aprx 178k miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...