No more 1320 feet for Top fuel and Funny car in NHRA!

ChevyMan1972

meh I'm not a fan. I don't think it would have helped Scott in his case. If his engine had blown at 1000 ft, he still would have been going almost 300 mph and been going way to fast into the kitty litter. It was the lack of a blossomed chute and probably being knocked unconscience that killed him. I think they need to focus on the parachutes and a better netting system at the end of the track. If they can safely catch fighter jets on a aircraft carrier deck, they can catch a car at the end of a track.

meh I'm not a fan. I don't think it would have helped Scott in his case. If his engine had blown at 1000 ft, he still would have been going almost 300 mph and been going way to fast into the kitty litter. It was the lack of a blossomed chute and probably being knocked unconscience that killed him. I think they need to focus on the parachutes and a better netting system at the end of the track. If they can safely catch fighter jets on a aircraft carrier deck, they can catch a car at the end of a track.

They dont catch the jets... if the jet misses, they take back off. Thats why they go into full after burner just before touch down. If the jet crashes... well i dont know what they do... but i dont think they have any operational netting right now.

Why can't the NHRA require these cars to run for a short period of time after the race is over? This would force the teams into building them a little less on edge, and make them substantialy less likly to blow up during the race.

Just a thought.

Why can't the NHRA require these cars to run for a short period of time after the race is over? This would force the teams into building them a little less on edge, and make them substantialy less likly to blow up during the race.

Just a thought.

Because every pass, assuming the engine doesnt blow, costs about $5,000.

Guest Removed
They dont catch the jets... if the jet misses, they take back off. Thats why they go into full after burner just before touch down. If the jet crashes... well i dont know what they do... but i dont think they have any operational netting right now.

they have big nets!

(edit:never mind someone posted pics of one)

Jim Head is apparently looking at some aircraft stopping systems that show promise.

they have big nets!

(edit:never mind someone posted pics of one)

Jim Head is apparently looking at some aircraft stopping systems that show promise.

Yea but doesnt part of the reason the nets work is becasue it can spread all that momentum out across the front crossection of the aircraft? A top fueler or funny car has a hell of a lot less front area to absorb that energy... it might just blow right through the net completely.

Edit, you may also see some serious injury with a fixed mounted net too... like the same thing that happend to Dale Earnheart... where the brain actully impacts the front of the skull and destroys massive amounts of brain tissue. Those nets on the carrier are on a pulley system with steam rams arent they?

Guest Removed
Edit, you may also see some serious injury with a fixed mounted net too... like the same thing that happend to Dale Earnheart... where the brain actully impacts the front of the skull and destroys massive amounts of brain tissue. Those nets on the carrier are on a pulley system with steam rams arent they?

that would be the cable thingy that grabs them!. i think the nets are made like really big rubber bands

and im sure they well remake the front of the cars tofor the net!

but im thinking the cable system with hook hanging off the bottom of the car would be safer! not sure what they are looking into tho

that would be the cable thingy that grabs them!. i think the nets are made like really big rubber bands

and im sure they well remake the front of the cars tofor the net!

but im thinking the cable system with hook hanging off the bottom of the car would be safer! not sure what they are looking into tho

im sure running over a cable at 300 mph would be an awsome idea

jets do it :confused:

Theyre not creating 2000lbs of downforce either ;)

I jet is comming down very slowly based on its mass... where as a dragster has effectively doubled its mass. Plus, a jet is only going like 160knots when it lands.. not 320mph.