Nelson Ledges SOLD!!!!

Smokey

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33089

:( Looks like our diamond in the ruff track is going to be in the big-time now. Guess we better try to get as many Fundays in this year as possible because once they go "Country Club" they probably won't have them anymore.

The upside though is that the layout of the track has always been very fast and fun, and could be much better for track days (both bikes and cars) with better amenities, we could just have to pay more to do it. Guess they're hoping to be the Mid-Ohio of the North East portion of the state.

I posted this on TrackAddicts too...Mixed emotions about this. It has the potential to give us another great facility within driving distance...but it takes our already loved facility with CHEAP lapping days and likely does away with those.

"It is strongly rumored (no I can't say for sure) that this will be the last LD that runs on the Nelson course as it now stands. Will it be the real, very last Longest Day -only time will tell. However, I mentioned the possibility back in 1996 that with fewer entries the race might have to go into hiatus -many of you didn't listen back then...so as they say "a word to the wise"..."

This is a quote from Ann McHugh's update on the 2008 Longest Day race. Ann has been the driving force behind this race since it's inception. The bold and underlined portion was highlighted by me, but I can find little else regarding the sale at this time. If they actually "fix" and "refine" Nelson Ledges it will be bittersweet. Part of the "charm" of the track is its "rustic" nature. If it actually becomes civilizrd, it will be nice - bt just not the same. I guess it's time to call up some old friends and see if they're still planning to race this year. One more trip up to crew at the 24 hour race may be in order before it's gone...

Off subject a little... Is this the same Nelson's Ledges that has the quarry and campground?

This is the racetrack that is just a little north of there. If I recall, driving north out of Garretsville you turn left to go to the park - continuing on north a few miles you would come to the road course on the right. If my old and shakey memory serves me correctly.

Guest Melanie
This is the racetrack that is just a little north of there. If I recall, driving north out of Garretsville you turn left to go to the park - continuing on north a few miles you would come to the road course on the right. If my old and shakey memory serves me correctly.

Are they owned by the same people? AKA do I have to worry about my fav camp spot getting messed up as well as the track you all love?

Are they owned by the same people? AKA do I have to worry about my fav camp spot getting messed up as well as the track you all love?

I was thinking of Nelson Ledges - the park - (I think it's actually called Nelson & Kennedy Ledges) I thought it was state owned. If there is a private campground right near the park, I would say no...

if your favorite camp spot has a big paved driveway that runs for about two miles around the outside... you may be in trouble! ;)

no, your camping spot should be fine. There's a Nelson Ledges state park, there's also about 50 other things up that way called Nelson Ledges something....it just so happens that the only thing I've ever cared about and the most popular one is the race track.