ZR1 Ring record

AJ

the driver is a GM engineer, not even a race car driver. car is 100% stock down to the tires just as you would buy(if you had $108,000 and dealer mark up say $80,000) the GTR had race tires and some tuneing done with a race car driver in it and it was 2 seconds slower.

God, that looks so fun.

On a side note, the comparisons against the GTR are lame.

-What are the power-to-weight ratios of both?

-Weren't the GTR runs at the 'ring during the cold in November? I mean, you're talking a difference of 2 seconds at two completely different temperatures.

-The Nurburgring wasn't closed down for the GTR while running there; it had to pass several cars.

-Although the ZR1 doesn't have r compounds, it's still using tires specifically developed for that car.

-Also, the driver of the ZR1 would have to learn that track somehow, so my guess is he's had several hundred laps there before in order to know it well enough.

-The "race car driver" of the GTR is actually just a factory test driver for Nissan.

-The ZR1 did the lap from a rolling start, though I'm not sure how the GTR began.

I think that comparing a difference of 2 seconds on a track as large as that is pointless, there are so many factors. Put the same driver in both and see the times. I'm not saying the GTR would win, but it would be an actual respectable comparison.

That said, I'd take a pretty ZR1 over that Nissan pile any day. ;)

The comparison is 100% valid because all of the GTR people were talking about how much better it was than the ZR1. Now that it beat the GTR's time I can see this turning into an all out excuse thread in .2 seconds.

No, that isn't valid. The GTR people are whiny idiots, then. They should leave the ZR1 alone and vice versa.

Godamn GM and Jap people. It never ends. :rolleyes:

i dont care about all the gtr had this the zr1 has only this. I love the zr1. and tell me when something breaks on either car which one you would rather try to fix?

side note I do agree that if this is going to be the new standard of how the cars are judged then there should be some more regulation to how they are prepared for the track.

ALL OEM cars have tires specifically developed for them. Nothing is off the shelf.

They appear to have a bit more work put in to them than most oem cars. Also, do you care to respond to anything else I posted, or even something relevant to this topic? Or did you just want to nit-pick one detail?

Both cars are engineering awesomeness and I'd love to have either, mostly the ZR1, but so much drama from so-called "enthusiasts" is getting really old.

The comparison is 100% valid because all of the GTR people were talking about how much better it was than the ZR1. Now that it beat the GTR's time I can see this turning into an all out excuse thread in .2 seconds.

id say it is, but isnt in some ways fair. like mikehaze pointed out, the GTR was tested in cooler temps, and for most boosted cars, is a big help. Plus as i read some where that the GTR was running on race tires with a better tune, and i think i also heard a better suspension?

so knowing that, i would say the ZR1 kicked its ass fair and square the nissan nutswingers can blow me.

but i do think a better comparison would be a Z06 with some race tires on it.

God, that looks so fun.

On a side note, the comparisons against the GTR are lame.

-What are the power-to-weight ratios of both? not sure

-Weren't the GTR runs at the 'ring during the cold in November? I mean, you're talking a difference of 2 seconds at two completely different temperatures. The GTR was a ringer anyways. they also ran this year too.

-The Nurburgring wasn't closed down for the GTR while running there; it had to pass several cars. it was for the GTR record lap.

-Although the ZR1 doesn't have r compounds, it's still using tires specifically developed for that car. they are still Run Flats! the GTR had R comps.

-Also, the driver of the ZR1 would have to learn that track somehow, so my guess is he's had several hundred laps there before in order to know it well enough. Still not a pro race car driver

-The "race car driver" of the GTR is actually just a factory test driver for Nissan. race car driver http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-suztos.html

http://www.crash.net/gpa/driver~driver_id~12083.htm

-The ZR1 did the lap from a rolling start, though I'm not sure how the GTR began. both set there times with a rolling start.

I think that comparing a difference of 2 seconds on a track as large as that is pointless, there are so many factors. Put the same driver in both and see the times. I'm not saying the GTR would win, but it would be an actual respectable comparison. the ZR1 has a top speed of over 200mph, you you watch again the driver holds it a 176 for a long time with a max of 179, there is alot more left in that car. once they get a race driver like O'Connell then there will be 5-6 seconds knocked off if not more.

That said, I'd take a pretty ZR1 over that Nissan pile any day. ;)

you can watch the video and see where the driver loses a few seconds in many areas. he even puts the car into a slide, loseing time all the way.

BTW the ZR1 was run with US emissions and run flat tires on 94 pump gas.

Nissan GTR:

-Curb weight of 3800 lbs

-420 bhp

Corvette ZR1:

-Curb weight of 3350 lbs

-640 bhp

Holy shit, with so much difference in weight and horsepower, I'm surprised the GTR is only 2 seconds away (in controversial and different conditions).

...and the ZR1 is just a beefed up Vette, while the GTR isn't the beefed up version, the V-Spec is. I predict that will win it all. I'm not arguing for the sake of it or because I like Nissan, I truly want American production cars to go in this direction and think the ZR1 is possibly the sexiest car ever made, but the fanboyism is hilarious.

Nissan GTR:

-Curb weight of 3800 lbs

-420 bhp

Corvette ZR1:

-Curb weight of 3350 lbs

-640 bhp

Holy shit, with so much difference in weight and horsepower, I'm surprised the GTR is only 2 seconds away (in controversial and different conditions).

...and the ZR1 is just a beefed up Vette, while the GTR isn't the beefed up version, the V-Spec is. I predict that will win it all. I'm not arguing for the sake of it or because I like Nissan, I truly want American production cars to go in this direction and think the ZR1 is possibly the sexiest car ever made, but the fanboyism is hilarious.

i still think the vette will win. the V-spec was only 1 second faster than the ZR1. and different condtions? they were the same for both cars.

the GTR is AWD.

ZR1 just a beefed up vette? way wrong on that one bud, there is a ton different between them.

as i said before, there is alot left in the vette and GM hasn't shown all there cards yet with it.

I love it when people think that the GTR has 480 hp as claimed by Nissan.

It weighs almost 4000lbs, has AWD, with only 480 hp? right..........

This is a good read also to show how rediculous the 480 claim is....http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2009_nissan_gt_r_dyno_test/index.html

What AWD car has less than 20% driveline loss? not many, if any.

I think it has about 550 at least.

This is a good read also to show how rediculous the 480 claim is....http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2009_nissan_gt_r_dyno_test/index.html

think thats why GM SAE dyno proves there engines so there is not such a false claim with what they really put out?

i still think the vette will win. the V-spec was only 1 second faster than the ZR1. and different condtions? they were the same for both cars.

the GTR is AWD.

ZR1 just a beefed up vette? way wrong on that one bud, there is a ton different between them.

as i said before, there is alot left in the vette and GM hasn't shown all there cards yet with it.

"Only" 1 second. And you think "2" seconds is somehow a shit-ton more for the ZR1 over the base GTR? (not to mention the V Spec model is STILL heavier and less powerful then the ZR1) And no, they weren't the same conditions; different months, different drivers, different tires. How do you know there's "not a lot left" with a better Nissan driver? I wasn't aware he was a former racer, but that was what, 15 years ago? The fact is, they're both tremendous cars, and both the GM fans and import fans are yet-again taking drama to cars they will never own. Respect both.

And I love with people with dyno-mind know the power a car makes from behind their monitors. For one, 550hp at 4000lbs is still a fuck-load less power-to-weight then the ZR1. Lastly, I'll stick with that range of power until I see an official graph.

Edit: I can't find anywhere that states the GTR used r compounds. The only thing I've read is that it used these run-flats:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dunlop.co.jp%2Fnewsrelease%2F2008%2F2008_039.htm&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en

This is funny that I feel like I'm arguing for the GTR because I would sooo take a ZR1 over it. :confused:

I love how in a couple parts he is totally turning at 150+mph off camber over bumps with one hand on the wheel. Looks like a blast, not going to look now, but does anyone know off the top of their head if they have run the new M3 there with an official time of some sort? Car and Driver liked the new M3 over the GTR and the 911TT.

I'd rather own the car that was from an American company. Best thing I've heard said about the Corvette in general is that what world class car can you buy for $100k that'll run with the best, get decent fuel economy, that's reliable, and can be serviced by any local dealership? The Vette.

People are always going to fan boy their fav car/manufacturer. It doesn't matter what evidence you present them with. I'm still convinced my MKIII Supra will beat all them at Nurburgring. No, nothing you say will convince me otherwise. :D

When was the new GTR VSpec tested on the track? Someone mentioned it above.

They appear to have a bit more work put in to them than most oem cars. Also, do you care to respond to anything else I posted, or even something relevant to this topic? Or did you just want to nit-pick one detail?

Both cars are engineering awesomeness and I'd love to have either, mostly the ZR1, but so much drama from so-called "enthusiasts" is getting really old.

I don't think they have more 'work' put into them than any other application. Every car goes through several tire designs before choosing what goes to production. Even after that the OEM can go back to the tire manufacturer and ask for more changes. If only you have seen the nimber of tire iterations we've gone through one one project (and that's a sub-par 4-door sedan)

I have no issue with the rest of what you said because I don't know that much about the GTR's run at the 'Ring. But, after watching the video I feel there is definitely time left on the table.

The official Corvette ZR1 numbers are in and they're good. Very good:

• $103,300 MSRP (including $850 destination charge)

• EPA-estimated fuel economy of 14 city and 20 highway

• 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds

• 0-100 mph in 7.0 seconds

• Quarter-mile elapsed time of 11.3 seconds at 131 mph

The Corvette ZR1 also has a top speed of 205 mph (330 km/h), making it the fastest Corvette ever produced and ranking it among the global super cars of commensurate performance. None of those other super cars, however, equals the ZR1's performance-per-dollar ratio.

"The ZR1 is an incredible machine by any measure," said Ed Peper, North American Vice President, Chevrolet. "There's simply no other vehicle in the world that does a better job of balancing performance, price and fuel economy."

Performance perspective

The Corvette ZR1's 0-60 performance is 0.3-second quicker than the already-quick Corvette Z06 and the 0-100-mph performance is nearly a full second quicker - 7 seconds vs. the Z06's 7.9 seconds. It is performance that is equal to or better than many super cars costing substantially more.

"A favorable power-to-weight ratio gives the ZR1 an advantage over the competition and performance that has to be experienced to fully appreciate," said Tom Wallace, Corvette chief engineer. "Of course, on a racetrack, drivers of competitors' cars may appreciate the ZR1 in a whole different manner."

And the racetrack isn't the only place where the ZR1 trumps its super-car competitors - it beats them at the gas pump, too. According to fueleconomy.gov, the ZR1's EPA-rated 14 city and 20 highway mileage ratings beat 2008 competitors such as the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano (11 city / 15 highway); the Lamborghini Murcielago (8 city / 13 highway) and the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (12 city / 19 highway). They're competitive with the Dodge Viper (13 city / 22 highway) and the Porsche 911 GT3 (15 city / 22 highway).

Under the carbon-fiber hood

A new LS9 6.2L supercharged small-block engine powers the ZR1's performance capability. Heavy-duty and lightweight reciprocating components support high-rpm performance, while a new, sixth-generation supercharger (and complementing charge-cooling system) helps the LS9 make big power and torque across the rpm range. The engine is hand-assembled at GM's Performance Build Center, in Wixom, Mich.

In addition to the LS9 engine, the ZR1 is a technology powerhouse, designed with lightweight and unique components that reinforce its performance with a confidant feel on either a highway or road course.

Options

The standard ZR1 comes with accoutrements based on the Z06, including lightweight seats and lightweight content. The available uplevel interior package includes power-adjustable, heated and leather-trimmed sport seats (embroidered with the ZR1 logo); side air bags; Bose

premium audio system; navigation system; Bluetooth connectivity; power telescoping steering column; custom leather-wrapped interior available in four colors and more. Chrome wheels are the only other available option on the ZR1. Detailed pricing noted below.

• $103,300 Base MSRP including destination

• $1,700 Gas guzzler tax

• $10,000 Option package

• $2,000 Chrome wheels