Any advice for a reckless driving summons?

Guest Mindhacler

Guest Mindhacler

Buenos Dias a todos.

Newb with a Hyundai Tiburon, reffered over here from NewTiburon.Com... Anyone have any advice for dealing with a reckless driving ticket? A cop in VA claims to have tagged me with radar, and they have mandatory reckless driving infractions for driving 20 over, or >80... so the 87 in a 55 brings out the jerk in them (luckily it wasn't street racing or anything, just coming home from the beach).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/mindhacker/IM000250.jpg

Yeah - I need to take a new picture with the new wheels, drop, redout tails and clearcorners, but I mean, you sorta get the idea, no? And if I ever get a free weekend then the lambo doors are next on the list... Until then, they will sit in my garage reminding me that, well, I'm a pathetic riceboy who can't even rice right.

Oh, and I'm 22, single, enjoy long walks on the beach, and revving at cars with triple my horsepower just to watch them fly off into the distance. It's a beautiful sight/sound.

Guest Mindhacler
Nice to meet you too.....:wtf:

I say claimed cause my RD, which alerted me to all the other cops in VA (they really like the unmarked charger) didn't make a single peep.

So, uh, wtf right back mate?

Guest Mindhacler
interesting first post.

do you haz any lawyer? given the legal issues afflicting the members of this board currently, this MAY not be the best place to ask for advice.

I'd figure I'd skip straight to the content. I have a lawyer, but he's just gonna tell me everything right before the trial, and I'm still nervous. I mean, I don't know anything about how a traffic court case would go. And since its a criminal charge, that's probably going to complicate matters.

Points, a fine, a temp suspension if the judge is a real dick. Hard to say since it's in Virginia. You won't goto jail, so, eh.. You may be able to work out some community service in lieu of fines and/or suspension.

Welcome, btw.

Edit:

Had to do it. :D

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3243/Lambo-Doors-So-Played-Out.jpg

Guest Mindhacler
Points, a fine, a temp suspension if the judge is a real dick. Hard to say since it's in Virginia. You won't goto jail, so, eh.. You may be able to work out some community service in lieu of fines and/or suspension.

Welcome, btw.

Thanks. Doesn't sound too bad I guess. I've learned my lesson: Virginia cops suck. Now that I'm reading up on it it seems the riskiest places to speed are Ohio and VA.

And yeah, I know they are played out, but I've thought they were the coolest thing for half my life now, and it'd make me happy. That's why we have fun cars, right? To put a smile on your face even if the day sucked, work devoured your soul, and women are being painful. It's a place of refuge where you can just get away and enjoy the primal feeling of surging through the backroads.

Guest Mindhacler
if youre stupid.

Those two states are still more risky regardless of intelligence. I mean, I'd rather be smart in Ohio than stupid in Arizona, but being smart in Arizona would be less risky still.

And in response to the implication: RD, CB, slowing at potential speed traps, checking mirrors, watching traffic for telltales signs, I just never counted on a cop flying down the opposite side of the road, pulling across the median, and lying about having tagged me. Actually, I trusted in the honesty of traffic cops... so yeah. You're right.

And yeah, I know they are played out, but I've thought they were the coolest thing for half my life now, and it'd make me happy. That's why we have fun cars, right? To put a smile on your face even if the day sucked, work devoured your soul, and women are being painful. It's a place of refuge where you can just get away and enjoy the primal feeling of surging through the backroads.

Is your ideal Tiburon black, with lambo doors, green angel eyes, and an unpainted body kit, gaudy spoiler, a sound system so cool it kills your battery every weekend? Just asking because there have been a lot of Tiburons around here (Columbus) lately and they are ALL ridiculously stupid. No offense, but they just have a bad reputation in my mind.

Is your ideal Tiburon black, with lambo doors, green angel eyes, and an unpainted body kit, gaudy spoiler, a sound system so cool it kills your battery every weekend? Just asking because there have been a lot of Tiburons around here (Columbus) lately and they are ALL ridiculously stupid. No offense, but they just have a bad reputation in my mind.

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Guest Mindhacler

F8CK NO. If thats the sorta people on CR i think i'd be better off disappearing. One of the worst parts about having a tiburon is that there are too many tib owners who are douches / middle aged women.

Ideally, it'd be silver, white AE's on a switch (another mod in my garage waiting to be installed), no body kit (maybe a lip kit, if so professionally installed/painted), and no spoiler (not even stock). My current sound system (pioneer head, stock speakers, and a laptop) is perfect for me. I'm working on installing extra turnsignals into my gills, but ideally, I want the car to look stock when I'm done. All the mods should be understated, professional looking, and elegant.

There's the boy-racer school of modding, and there's the performance whore school, but I'm just trying to have a fun car that looks like it could be an exotic. If it makes people say "What's that? Is that Italian?" then i think that'd be about ideal. But, unfortunately, I'm poor. As an engineer though, I'm gonna take things apart and play with them anyways though, I can't really help it.

And if anyone ever puts a sticker / decal on my car I'll hit them with a breaker bar. No offense to anyone sponsored or anything, I just want a clean look.

F8CK NO. If thats the sorta people on CR i think i'd be better off disappearing. One of the worst parts about having a tiburon is that there are too many tib owners who are douches / middle aged women.

Ideally, it'd be silver, white AE's on a switch (another mod in my garage waiting to be installed), no body kit (maybe a lip kit, if so professionally installed/painted), and no spoiler (not even stock). My current sound system (pioneer head, stock speakers, and a laptop) is perfect for me. I'm working on installing extra turnsignals into my gills, but ideally, I want the car to look stock when I'm done. All the mods should be understated, professional looking, and elegant.

There's the boy-racer school of modding, and there's the performance whore school, but I'm just trying to have a fun car that looks like it could be an exotic. If it makes people say "What's that? Is that Italian?" then i think that'd be about ideal. But, unfortunately, I'm poor. As an engineer though, I'm gonna take things apart and play with them anyways though, I can't really help it.

And if anyone ever puts a sticker / decal on my car I'll hit them with a breaker bar. No offense to anyone sponsored or anything, I just want a clean look.

No it's the kind of people we are trying to keep off of CR. You have any desire to race the car? Track/Autocross? (not a trick question)

Welcome, you have redeemed yourself.

Those two states are still more risky regardless of intelligence. I mean, I'd rather be smart in Ohio than stupid in Arizona, but being smart in Arizona would be less risky still.

And in response to the implication: RD, CB, slowing at potential speed traps, checking mirrors, watching traffic for telltales signs, I just never counted on a cop flying down the opposite side of the road, pulling across the median, and lying about having tagged me. Actually, I trusted in the honesty of traffic cops... so yeah. You're right.

sorry to rub you the wrong way, but that comment was directed more at others and less at you. no matter where you are, its more risky to be stupid.

still though, how is it that your statement is anything but speculation? do ohio and va have more cops per capita? give out more tickets? or is it just more risky for you?

I say claimed cause my RD, which alerted me to all the other cops in VA (they really like the unmarked charger) didn't make a single peep.

So, uh, wtf right back mate?

Pay the ticket, take your lumps, and move along. Go ahead and try to fight it with an attorney and that defense, it should get a few laughs because radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. Your laywer should have told you that right from the start. Sounds like you are gonna get screwed from both ends. The Commonwealth of Virginia, and your attorney.

Welcome, Newb!

Guest Mindhacler
Still though, how is it that your statement is anything but speculation? do ohio and va have more cops per capita? give out more tickets? or is it just more risky for you?

From what I've read (from truckers / illegal rally drivers / such) there are more traffic cops / mile in these states, and they are more likely to give tickets. There are some towns in VA that have lower tax rates simply because they ticket for 5mph over and have a lot of tourists.

"The police in Ohio, for example, have six months to prosecute speeding violations, and an officer must witness the violation, said Sgt. Toby Smith, a spokesman for Ohio’s State Highway Patrol. The patrol has a reputation among rally drivers as one of the nation’s most feared."

As for VA, my uncle told me that they call it "The Gestapo State."

No it's the kind of people we are trying to keep off of CR. You have any desire to race the car? Track/Autocross? (not a trick question).

I'd like to do autocross, but everyone recommends getting a big brake kit first, so I'll probably put that off at least until I'm back at school. Drag racing doesn't really appeal to me, but a track could be fun. Haven't really thought about it.

Pay the ticket, take your lumps, and move along. Go ahead and try to fight it with an attorney and that defense, it should get a few laughs because radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. Your laywer should have told you that right from the start. Sounds like you are gonna get screwed from both ends. The Commonwealth of Virginia, and your attorney.

Yup. I learned that I am fast as balls at hiding a radar detector though. And just cause I can't use that defense in court doesn't mean I can't be jaded at the highway patrol for it.

Edit: And the chick in your avatar is ++good. Just so you know.

Personally, I think lambo doors are teh gheyness, but I can't argue with your reason for wanting them.

BTW, you may want to do some research on RDs. I'm betting your RD doesn't scan all radar frequencies. I personally don't know jack about them, because I don't use them. I'm a truck driver, and I've learned how to spot cops long before they spot me. In places where there's conditions that prevent me from being able to see that far away, I just slow down.

Also, being fast as fuck at hiding your RD could get you in deep shit. I mean, if you get spotted hiding it, the cops is probably gonna think you're hiding something a hell of a lot more incriminating, i.e. drugs, guns, etc...

Oh, and BTW, if you have no previous infractions, they'll probably drop it to a speeding ticket, but if you've got a long list of speeding tickets, you're screwed.

Guest Mindhacler
Personally, I think lambo doors are teh gheyness, but I can't argue with your reason for wanting them.

BTW, you may want to do some research on RDs. I'm betting your RD doesn't scan all radar frequencies. I personally don't know jack about them, because I don't use them. I'm a truck driver, and I've learned how to spot cops long before they spot me. In places where there's conditions that prevent me from being able to see that far away, I just slow down.

Also, being fast as fuck at hiding your RD could get you in deep shit. I mean, if you get spotted hiding it, the cops is probably gonna think you're hiding something a hell of a lot more incriminating, i.e. drugs, guns, etc...

Oh, and BTW, if you have no previous infractions, they'll probably drop it to a speeding ticket, but if you've got a long list of speeding tickets, you're screwed.

I did a fair bit of research and my detector covers all the bands commonly used today, laser, & detector detectors, but oh well. Too late now, I mean, whats done was done. And I made sure to get the stuff hidden before he had a clear view into my car (he was still in the median trying to turn around).

I have a clean record, so hopefully it will get dropped down. Does anyone know if having misdemeanors will f*ck you up when it comes to getting a government job? (non military, I'm done with that).

Virginia cops are assholes. Ask me how I know.

How about 66 in a 65? In a U-Haul? I passed the guy moving to Florida and he pulled me over specifically admitting he did it because I had the balls to pass him.

No points, but my insurance company didn't care.

Guest Mindhacler
Virginia cops are assholes. Ask me how I know.

How about 66 in a 65? In a U-Haul? I passed the guy moving to Florida and he pulled me over specifically admitting he did it because I had the balls to pass him.

No points, but my insurance company didn't care.

That sucks. Did you fight it at all?

VA seems to take the "speedometer miscalibration" excuse as valid if you get some place to throw it on a dyno and write it up for you. But you would have had to go all the way back to VA, get the uhaul... He must have known it would be nigh-impossible for you to fight it.

First...hell of an early on post but no flames from me.

Re: the speed and cops claim....just fess up if you're guilty. the below quote makes it sound like you're saying he is "claiming to have clocked you" but you don't feel he did.....all that really doesn't matter if you in fact were going 87mph in a 55mph zone. You know if you were and gut tells me you know you weren't going 55mph. Again, not a bash, but it is what it is.

IMO, call a lawyer down there. They will go to the intial court appearance on your behalf if you're not there. I don't believe you will be required to go but they can negotiate that earlier or at that time and inform you. I wasn't required to appear, but did since I was in cbus. In the end, if you're clean, they will likely just take the money and reduce the points and drop the charge to speeding.

I was in a simliar situation and my wife who is a lawyer hooked me up with another lawyer friend who got me off. I paid $170 and took the 2pts. In my case, I too claimed it wasn't me and was able to negotiate because we did have enough to at least make a case from the evidence and notes on the ticket so the deal was struck. However, I took the 2pts as it was a deal fair on both sides. Afterall, I know I wasn't going 55mph either...but I sure wasn't at 95mph. My insurance never budged a dime.

Take the lump, but get it knocked down. You will likely have to pay a lawyer so cough up $500 minimum...or marry one like I did :) but that will cost you more than $500 in the long run. :cry:

Do get a lawyer though as your insurance will double if you're nailed with a RO and the likely 6pts it will carry. That will be more than $500 over the course of 2-3 years.

claims to have tagged me with radar, and they have mandatory reckless driving infractions for driving 20 over, or >80... so the 87 in a 55 brings out the jerk in them