Photog Roll Call

TTQ B4U

Would anyone be up for an early morning Saturday shoot? I will be back in town to do a wedding on Friday (August 9th) and will be spending the night up there. It'd have to be pretty early though to get the sunrise and so I can make it back down to Cincinnati at a half way decent hour.

What camera are you using? Shooting in RAW is a great start. I'd be happy to give you some pointers if you'd like. PM me if you're interested. ;)

I have a canon 40D, Lens are canon 28-135 USM IS, and a canon 75-300mm.

The 75-300 is considered pretty bad by most people and I don't use it much, but the pics I have taken I haven't considered bad image quality. Actually I have one of a rabbit in my yard that is about as sharp as any I've seen before any post processing.

I'm not yet really into daytime photography enough to buy really good glass since the primary reason I got a 40D is astrophotography. The next lens I'll probably get will be one of those 50mm F1.8 lenses everyone is always raving about due to price/quality.

Evan

I have a canon 40D, Lens are canon 28-135 USM IS, and a canon 75-300mm.

The 75-300 is considered pretty bad by most people and I don't use it much, but the pics I have taken I haven't considered bad image quality. Actually I have one of a rabbit in my yard that is about as sharp as any I've seen before any post processing.

I'm not yet really into daytime photography enough to buy really good glass since the primary reason I got a 40D is astrophotography. The next lens I'll probably get will be one of those 50mm F1.8 lenses everyone is always raving about due to price/quality.

Evan

I've got one and I still keep it in my bag next to the 70-200 2.8L and 16-35 2.8L. It is a really great lens and I recommend it to everyone that I talk to.

add in the 35mm f/2.0 too. it's sharper wider open and is a great fit for those with crop body cameras. I shoot both 1DMKII and the 40D and find the 35mm on the 40D quite often. Great light-weight lens combo.

I've got one and I still keep it in my bag next to the 70-200 2.8L and 16-35 2.8L. It is a really great lens and I recommend it to everyone that I talk to.

35mm at f2 would be a nice one for wide field milky way shots. When I use the 28-135 at 28 its still f3.5 so it does work, but I have to use longer exposers to get the same shot so more noise gets worked in.

Evan

add in the 35mm f/2.0 too. it's sharper wider open and is a great fit for those with crop body cameras. I shoot both 1DMKII and the 40D and find the 35mm on the 40D quite often. Great light-weight lens combo.

Do you have any suggestions for a good Macro lens? I want to pick one up after I shoot this wedding on Saturday. I'll be using it mainly for the ring shots, but would like to have some versatility. I haven't started to research it yet, I just figured I'd see if you had a suggestion to look at. Thanks!

You shoot a 5D right? My suggestion is the 100mm macro f/2.8 which is legendary and designed for full frame film bodies......of course it works just great with full-frame digital too. And also, being an EF lens, it's fully compatible with the crop bodies as well. I love it and use it on all of my bodies (MKII, 40D and soon to be 5DMKII)

I often use it outdoors, or in larger rooms to get mostly "head shots" Are you a dual body shooter or do you just have one?

I've heard good things about the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 as well. Less money and very good quality. I just happen to be a Canon fan at heart though. Never had any issues with their gear and can flip it on the used market easily which I've done on other lenses.

Do you have any suggestions for a good Macro lens? I want to pick one up after I shoot this wedding on Saturday. I'll be using it mainly for the ring shots, but would like to have some versatility. I haven't started to research it yet, I just figured I'd see if you had a suggestion to look at. Thanks!

Yes, I shoot a 5d and I'm a single body shooter for now. Thank you for the suggestion! I like to stick with Canon gear for the same reasons you stated so I will investigate the 100mm during the week. I figure if I get that and get my 580ex back from Cord Camera (they've had it for over 2 months now) I should be set for any situation in a wedding.

• 4 months later...