NEED HELP! clutch not disengaging

mrmako777

haha nah bro the oil is drained and filled back to its recommended level. id never start it with that much in there.

ok i talked to a couple people, mello maybe you would know something about this since you have a gsxr. i am told that the plates do not usually sit in oil they are only lubricated when the bike is running. so the thought is that maybe the plate fibers are saturated with oil causing them to stick. i was advised by one person to drain the oil completely and let it sit for 2-3 days. if i do this then the fibers should have drained any oil theyre holding. if i do not do this then when i pop it into 1st that will free the plates but i have read that this may cause the fibers to tear although i am told this is not likely. any thoughts on this?

When I took off my clutch cover very little oil leaked out, so no the clutch doesn't normally sit in oil at rest. Not sure if that's your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try

I've had clutch plates stick. They will unstick when you drop it in gear. Just be sure to have the brake on hard, and not be pointed at anything solid at the time, heh. Usually it will just try to jump and stall, and then be ok after that. (Till the next time)

edit: not the same as a dry plate clutch on a car or truck. On a dry plate you have to pull the coil wire, and crank the starter back and forth between forward and reverse with the clutch pedal pushed in, till it's free. If you don't pull the coil wire, you might go for a wild ride. I knew a guy that had a tractor roll over on him doing that.

edit #2: oil additives like STP will totally goof your clutch plates making them stick like no tomorrow.

Edited by ReconRat

Hi,If you install a new clutch you are to soak the plates in oil for a day so I don't think oil is the problem. If you lost the ball you would have consideral play in your clutch lever and your clutch may not disingage at all. You did say the clutch disengages but feels like it is draging, I felt the same way as you in my early days messing with a ds80 and it was nothing. I also have 2 gsxr750s an R1 and some others and I also did the 520 conversion on my 00 gsxr750. Good Luck

Another thing to consider is the colder the temp the stickyer the clutch.

People put stp in their bikes?

Edited by phugitive

recon i do have the manual and have been pouring over it trying to find something but youre right it doesnt say anything about the sprocket cover. im hoping this is something small but at this point im at a loss. ive always done all the work on my bike (having some good helpers at times) and this just baffles me. any more thoughts please chime in. i will def report back as to what is causing all this once i figure it out :)

Clutch parts diagram

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cheapcycleparts/Suzuki_OEM/SuzukiMC.asp?Type=13&A=315&B=6

Only the parts at the bottom of the picture are relevant. Those are the ones in the sprocket cover assembly.

I can't find the sprocket cover anywhere in the parts lists either. It happens, makes it fun to try and buy one.

Edited by ReconRat

now im prolly gonna be seen as a dumbass but this is my first winter with a bike so i didnt know what to expect....but i have great news! i slapped the battery in her tonight and she fired up the first time so i let it get to about 200 and shut it off. put her in gear pulled the clutch in and she was rolling ALOT easier. i said the hell with it im gonna slap her in gear. so i turned the bike back on grabbed a handful of front brake said a small prayer and popped her into first. i let off the clutch a little and she scooted forward just fine! so all in all i was completely stressed out because she was cold and stiff. but shes back now and im happy! thanks for all your input guys, you guys rock!!!!

Ok, glad to hear it. And for the record, when I was young and stupid, I put STP in my motorcycle. Yes, the clutch plates stuck together. No it didn't get any better till I took the clutch plates out and cleaned them off. With a couple of oil changes. It didn't return completely to normal till I dismantled the entire engine one winter, and cleaned it all out. The clutch plates would be stuck every morning when I started it. It would jump and stall and squeal the back tire, and then be ok, with some really hard shifts all the time. Broke a few chains. Live and learn.

yeha man those that ride with me know how over protective i am of my bike. shes my first! needless to say ive spent countless hours researching my bike and spend a ton of time on gixxer.com. i havent done anything stupid mechanically to the bike but when it comes down to internals, im just not familiar with it too much. i think at some point im goin to take some classes for my own endowment. i never want to take my bike to the stealership if i dont have to. i got lucky on this one. thanks again for all you guys help