Martial Arts crew

thorne

I want this to be a serious thread, I'm just curious i know others on here take martial arts from passing. In my goal to lose weight which has damn near halted I have been thinking about doing martial arts again.

If you have taken it when younger feel free to chime in. I have not taken it since I was ~14. I can't remeber how long I know a few years. I was 1-2 belt from brown.

Example of First Kata

Style: Shorin Ryu Karate

Years: 2+

Belt/Rank: Purple White tip

White Yellow Orange Blue Purple green brown black I think was the order I can't remeber its been along time.

Hey Bill,

I took Karate for 12+ years and loved it. If it wasn't for a major injury, I'd still practice much harder than I do. I just started working out again in my basement.

My ideal lbs. in lean mode is 155lbs. I've been creeping up to 190lbs and have since lost 10 with the following diet plan. http://www.fatlossforidiots.com works amazingly well. A buddy at work is up to 45lbs off now. I'm on my way to 155-160lbs and then will build myself up to the ideal 175lbs with wieghts and control of my "hand to mouth" issue from there.

Martial Arts will certainly help, as will any activity. The many benefits of MA will also be well worth the commitment. However, I do believe that when all is said and done, it boils down to calories in vs those burned and anything that is a sensible combination of diet and exercise will achieve your goal.

I went with the above diet and while it's not perfect, it's easily do-able for me now that I'm working in an office and just being able to stick to something is key for me.

Good luck man. Call or PM me anytime. Glad you're making the commitment. I also saw a huge mental uptick in my attitude which was a goal too.

I want this to be a serious thread, I'm just curious i know others on here take martial arts from passing. In my goal to lose weight which has damn near halted I have been thinking about doing martial arts again.

If you have taken it when younger feel free to chime in. I have not taken it since I was ~14. I can't remeber how long I know a few years. I was 1-2 belt from brown.

Example of First Kata

White Yellow Orange Blue Purple green brown black I think was the order I can't remeber its been along time.

IMHO....

I have taken "traditional" Karate. I think it is a great thing for kids, but for adults not so great.

Bear with me while I explain my opinion. Karate and Kata's are more geared toward building discipline. Not fighting skills. I am not saying that a black belt does not have an advantage over "Bar Room Billy", but a single discipline fighter is at a MAJOR disadvantage to a well rounded fighter that does "MMA" In my opinion the best self defense and fighting system to date is Krav Maga. Krava takes content from all over the world and incorporates the most effective fighting system. It is taught to the IDF and now to US forces, from what I am told.

I was involved in Krav at Dublin Martial Arts for quite a while until I moved to Mt. Vernon. Get in touch with black00ws6, he is now a certified instructor. I was one level away from being able to attend the instructor training. You will get in shape with Krav! The level test are unreal. The last one I took lasted 3 hours 45 minutes. It was non stop for the whole time. My respiratory rate was still elevate over an hour after the test was done, I was in decent shape at the time too.

Guest mrhobbz

Example of First Kata

Just from that video I highly dislike that technique. Mister ban hammer victim.

you can join the marines and go to bootcamp they will work the fuck out of you and you will come back and people will not recognize you. The 30 mile forced humps and 3 mile runs will get you in shape quick lol j/k but I love any type of martial art's, When I was younger in okinawa japan I remember seeing this like 50 year old karate dude always I guess practicing down by the ocean seawall with other guys, I will never forget the day I seen him banging like a 2by4 hard as hell on the end of his toes, and also with the tips of his fingures they also have these huge coral rocks there were guys would keep bangin there hands off the coral to build up there hands, I mean these guys scared me as a kid, I was always hearing from my cousins that they were "samauri" because they still practice traditional okinawan karatie, judo, and ju jitsu, everyone of the guys where dark from the sun, ripped like no other and im sure could whip some ass if they had too.

I was in Shorin Ryu also when I was a teenager. I always loved martial arts and practised hard most of my teenage life. The place I learned that from was a guy in his 50's that had 2 sons around my age at the time that actively taught the classes. Their dad learned while he lived in Okinawa in the army (some branch) and they were very good. Best I've ever seen. I've forgotten the Kata by now mostly, but one really always was cool called Wansu Kata. I've never seen it done the way they taught it anywhere else and there students would win trophies a lot doing it. They also taught that kata should be done with high energy, not quite the graceful movements that some do and not the robotic like movements like in that video.

Very good times, but I'm to old and getting up in the morning hurts to much to do that stuff now:-)

Evan

I was in Shorin Ryu also when I was a teenager. I always loved martial arts and practised hard most of my teenage life. The place I learned that from was a guy in his 50's that had 2 sons around my age at the time that actively taught the classes. Their dad learned while he lived in Okinawa in the army (some branch) and they were very good. Best I've ever seen. I've forgotten the Kata by now mostly, but one really always was cool called Wansu Kata. I've never seen it done the way they taught it anywhere else and there students would win trophies a lot doing it. They also taught that kata should be done with high energy, not quite the graceful movements that some do and not the robotic like movements like in that video.

Very good times, but I'm to old and getting up in the morning hurts to much to do that stuff now:-)

Evan

when I was younger I was never taught that the mid and high blocks are all arm break moves. As a kid they never should us that. I went back as an adult for a brief time before my back got bad, They taught it way more powerful and aggressive then I had learned as a kid. I know when I watch Kata done on youtube by masters I'm impressed at there basic kata done with such focus.

unfortunately in today's world, they'll prolly just shoot you. as a kid I never ever thought about the other guy pulling a gun, but today.......

Next time I am in a fight, I am just going to do a Kata, hopefully the other guy will cooperate.

IMHO....

I have taken "traditional" Karate. I think it is a great thing for kids, but for adults not so great.

Bear with me while I explain my opinion. Karate and Kata's are more geared toward building discipline. Not fighting skills. I am not saying that a black belt does not have an advantage over "Bar Room Billy", but a single discipline fighter is at a MAJOR disadvantage to a well rounded fighter that does "MMA" In my opinion the best self defense and fighting system to date is Krav Maga. Krava takes content from all over the world and incorporates the most effective fighting system. It is taught to the IDF and now to US forces, from what I am told.

I was involved in Krav at Dublin Martial Arts for quite a while until I moved to Mt. Vernon. Get in touch with black00ws6, he is now a certified instructor. I was one level away from being able to attend the instructor training. You will get in shape with Krav! The level test are unreal. The last one I took lasted 3 hours 45 minutes. It was non stop for the whole time. My respiratory rate was still elevate over an hour after the test was done, I was in decent shape at the time too.

You know alotta shit

<---took tae kwon do when i was younger.

junior olympic qualifier, bronze metals from states in olympic sparring and point sparring. its GREAT cardio, and great for becoming more flexable. not so good from a self-defense standpoint. its still good to have some background with it in a fight, keeps me light on my feet and keeps my head clear, but im sure i would get owned by anyone with any sort of judo or close quarters background. but like i said, if you wanna get in shape cardio wise, it does kick ass.

<---took tae kwon do when i was younger.

junior olympic qualifier, bronze metals from states in olympic sparring and point sparring. its GREAT cardio, and great for becoming more flexable. not so good from a self-defense standpoint. its still good to have some background with it in a fight, keeps me light on my feet and keeps my head clear, but im sure i would get owned by anyone with any sort of judo or close quarters background. but like i said, if you wanna get in shape cardio wise, it does kick ass.

A good friend of mine used to take Tae Kwon Do. We spent some time sparring and other than the occasional kick I would take closing the distance, that was usually his downfall. I've taken some MMA at Arm & Sword fighting quite some years ago in California. Even got to train and meet with some of the original UFC guys. I am, by no means, a "trained figher", however. I considered it years ago, but had too many things going on at the time. Now, I'm just too out of shape, though I'd love to do some training to help get back in shape and relieve some stress.

It all depends on your goals.. Do you want to fight in the ring? Get in shape? or just be an all out bad ass. If getting back in shape, and losing some weight is your goal then any martial art system will work along with a decent diet. Want to cage fight? Then learn BJJ, Muay Thai and wrestling..

Like Rick said, Krav Maga is a great system for self defense. It's a proven and battle tested. All of the other disciplines are "support" systems for KM.. Krav Maga is about doing anything you can in a fight to survive.. eye gouge, throat hits, strikes to knee, rip ears off, bite, grab balls and pull, use things around you, etc.

In late middle school/early high school, I started at the International Martial Arts Academy of Columbus under Sifu Tre Hockett. In the very beginning it was ran out of his basement. I sustained a knee injury unrelated to the school and never returned. I have been debating to get back into it. I beleive they are still in Grove City off of Stringtown Rd, but they also had a club at Ohio State.

I will have to google around and see whats going on with it.....

So I just did a Krav Maga class tonight. 2 hours of Holy shit!.

I learned moves tonight I never would have thought of before. I also have a few bruises and a taste of blood ;) Don't get sloppy.

It's very hands on and I really like it. Oddly because its rougher on me. It causes me to work out even harder. By the time I was done I was beat like I never had been in my life.

Really kicking an object and punching and object makes a big differance. It makes you try harder. And being kicked even with a bag teaches you to pay attention.

I think I'm going to take the class because I really enjoyed it.

So I just did a Krav Maga class tonight. 2 hours of Holy shit!.

I learned moves tonight I never would have thought of before. I also have a few bruises and a taste of blood ;) Don't get sloppy.

It's very hands on and I really like it. Oddly because its rougher on me. It causes me to work out even harder. By the time I was done I was beat like I never had been in my life.

Really kicking an object and punching and object makes a big differance. It makes you try harder. And being kicked even with a bag teaches you to pay attention.

I think I'm going to take the class because I really enjoyed it.

This may sound strange but if you start liking the pain aspect of it be careful fighting can be addicting. If your in it to lose some weight and maybe learn a lil self defense keep it up.