Production Camaro specs

thorne

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Production-Camaro-Revealed/BLOG/82200/7276.html?as=7276

FTA.

The Camaro will come in LS, LT and full-on SS specs and be available with 6-speed manual and auto transmissions. Under the bonnet sit fuel-efficient 296bhp 3.6-litre V6 and 416bhp 6.2-litre V8 engines, which can run on fewer cylinders to improve economy.

It shouldn't just be a burnout king either, handling should be pretty good thanks to an all-independent suspension setup and a StabiliTrak stability control system. 4-pot Brembo brakes front and rear shed the speed on the SS. Weight balance is split 52/48 front/rear too, but the Camaro is a porker, weighing in at more than 1,700kgs.

I'm curious where the Z28 is.

chevy needed to produce that car 1-2 years ago--they've shown up to the dance too late

True story, but usually rushed production and lack of detail would hurt the company more than the 2 year process. I would rather be late to the dance instead of showing up naked with a bowtie on (pun intended :p ).

thanks to an all-independent suspension

F'n finally!

EDIT: A thought... Do you think they're using some of the 'Vette's suspension? Or does GM have another IRS vehicle they can pull from? It seems kinda of a bad idea for a cash-strapped company to design and build a whole new IRS.

watched the GM release of it today at work, its hot. will know more about it tomorrow, the Z28 is rumored to be the top dog over the SS. i think someone got there info messed up but i should know tomorrow for sure. i may also be placing my order for one. they start production on my birthday 2/16/09. see even GM remembers my birthday.

car and driver said the Z28 will have a detuned ZR1 power train set up and be a year or 2 into production before release. And like the old days the Z28 should be top dog.

the SS was top dog in the good old days.

Guest 78novaman

1st gen Z28 was the fastest. Gave you 4sp and ONLY Z28's got the 302ci racing motor. It was setup for the SCCA trans am series (and where the Pontiac Trans am got it's name.) A 4sp posi 4:10 gears with the 302 V8 could tear up most big block cars of the day. Also was able to compete with the Mach 1 and AMX on the road course.

SS was added in '68? It was only a package option higher than the RS. I know the big blocks were not specifically part of the SS package. It wasn't until the 4th gen the SS badge truly meant anything performance.

As for the IRS, this is basically a modified GTO, zeta platform. Not bad but GM is a day late and a dollar short.