Carfax be damned

Conesmasher

I work in insurance, so I figure I'd pass this link on to you. Description below the link. I figure most use Carfax to see if the vehicle was stolen or perhaps salvaged. This should help you out.

https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/nicb/hs.xsl/vincheck.html

NICB's VINCheckSM is a service provided to the public to assist in determining if a vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a previously declared total loss vehicle by cooperating NICB members. To perform a search a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is required. A maximum of 5 VINCheck searches can be conducted within a 24 hour period.

I was thinking that in less words. I mean.....what do people really want to know when they check for Carfax.....they want to know if it's salvaged/stolen.

I, for one, want to know if it was wrecked whenI use CarFax.

when i check carfax its because I want to see if there was an accident that the seller is not telling me about.

Cool link though, since we are posting free VIN history links, keep this title history search (ohio) in mind. At least tells you current status and previous OH owners:

https://www.dps.state.oh.us/atps/titleinq.asp?mode=i

• 1 month later...

Carfax is a joke. People use it to be comfortable with what they buy. I must say a long time ago when carfax just came around I used it. Then I realized after working in a bodyshop and now owning my own, carfax is half truth.

When someone asks why I say that.

When you bring your car to me and I fix it, or when you buy a car from any of the dealerships I do work for it wont come up. As with many repairs that have been done to the vehicle.

Kevin is completely right. I took a Ram for a test drive a few weeks ago. As soon as it started rolling I heard a nasty noise from the front end. Popped the hood to discover that the core support had been replaced. I told that to the salesman and showed him how I could tell, and he showed me the clean Carfax.

Kevin is completely right. I took a Ram for a test drive a few weeks ago. As soon as it started rolling I heard a nasty noise from the front end. Popped the hood to discover that the core support had been replaced. I told that to the salesman and showed him how I could tell, and he showed me the clean Carfax.

haha what happened next? Funny story!

haha what happened next? Funny story!

By the time I was looking at the truck, they had just knocked $2500 off the price. At that point, it was still a bit on the high end of what I was willing to spend, and didn't think there was much chance of talking them down, even though it obviously had problems. I walked at that point.

My carfax for my Impala comes back clean, but I know it's been in an accident before. The passenger rear quarter panel has some weird repair work and a rusted dent behind the headlight. I don't know how bad it was, but I know it was hit. A lot of times, people want to avoid increased insurance premiums, so they pay for it themselves. When that happens, it doesn't get reported to carfax.