Car Buying Time: <Insert> Your Thoughts Here

TTQ B4U

Still in car buying mode and waffling back/forth and want some input from the group on pros and cons. If I did something smaller here are a few choices I'm considering.

Flat out, what's everyone's input on the following: Key in on Speed 3 if you would.

MazdaSpeed3 - Bang for the buck winner IMO Not sure of mods out there

VW GTI - Following/mods available winner?

Caliber SRT 4 - More in your face, but kinda ugly? Dodge Quality.

The above get me cheap thrills. That means something now as I can always and likely will add a fun toy later. Bang for the buck, the above are good. Cheap money up front and can be modded anytime.

Mitsu Evo - I like the latest style. Pricey, but can be had for less

Subi STi - New style is growing on me, but pricey for the package

VW R32 - Balanced. Mods available?

Real winners of the bunch yes, but $10-12k more in coin is a lot. Not sure if the bang for the buck is there. They offer more, but is it worth it?

Discuss.

Save the money, speed 3 allows you the option of tuning it or purchasing an additional project car.

Although, the evo or sti is a more solid platform for modifying, and 4wd does wonders in the snow. The speed3's traction control is pretty good, so it can get you around, esp with proper snow tires, but nothing eats snow like 4wd

The new GTI is suppose to be a WONDERFUL car, I've heard nothing but good reviews for it. The STi and Evo really aren't worth it unless you plan on modding to the sky, if you would rather have something good thats stock, look into the vdub.

The new GTI is suppose to be a WONDERFUL car, I've heard nothing but good reviews for it. The STi and Evo really aren't worth it unless you plan on modding to the sky, if you would rather have something good thats stock, look into the vdub.

yeah if he goes with an evo , all it takes is bolt on stuff just like an sti to move.

If you are looking for a DD with some pickup with MPG look into the GTI. The Package 2 GTI has the best interior by far from the cars above (minus the R32 its basically the same (slightly sportier seats). I have a Stage 2 setup and I get 390-450 miles per tank only slight downfall is that it only take 93.

Performance wise nothing compares the EVO/STI but the GTI has a great mix of both. The R32 IMO is way to over priced, If you want to check out my GTI let me know or test drive it at the dealer I promise youll love it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nZTHuuBO9JI

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/28/volkswagen-gti-named-automobile-magazines-car-of-the-year/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/112_0412_2006_volkswagen_gti/index.html

evo- cheap inside its worse then a 80's civic

- tires wear out like crazy- dependson the set up

- if this matters it only takes 93 like most performance cars.

- like the sti it gets alot of unwanted attention.

- performance wise its hard to beat even anything v8 for the price

- the car is made fucking good, stong as hell

- if you plan on modding its not hard to see 10's on a street evo.

- parts are all over and not expensive.

- transmission are very stong except the MR

- you can drive it year around

- your wife could drive the car year around unlike a rwd car.( not every)

- room for kids in the back

- keep out of boost it still gets good gas milage

- the resale is always good.

If you have any doubt about performance you should go up on sunday to norwalk and watch the evo's run at the dsmshootout. That will prolly be the deciding factor.

STI

- much better inside then the evo, if performance beyond stock is no care the sti makes a better stock daily.

- like the evo is gets alot of unwanted attention.

- same with the evo parts are cheap

- all year driving

- everything as above with the evo

- if you plan on modding ,the evo takes better to mods, we are in the dsm capital of the world, there are tons of local shops that are dedicated to the 4g63 and could help you out.

- overall if the car is just going to be a daily type car with no crazy mods, the sti seems like a better bet, unless you know what car fits you better.

- re sale is always good

GTI - has great interior

- the gti has no close in performance compared to the last two but it still has some pep and can be modded.

- the gti drives great on highway and city no loud noises.

- vw's are also built great.

- the resale is also good on the vw

- online has loads of performance options just like the other 2, but not sure on the prices.

- the bad is fwd, modding anything with turbo and fwd is just a no no, learn from my mistake, I dumped money into a car made alot of power, and I was never able to use it ,and ended up buying tires every other month. even a mild turbo upgrade is going to make your first 2 gears worthless in boost, if you go bigger it gets worse.

r32 - I love this car I test drove one while I was evo shopping just to check out what the hype was about. the car feels really awsome , but imop its way too much money for what you get.

What's teh stage 2 kit add to the GTI? how much power and performance and for how much money?

I agree on the R32 side regarding price....like the STi's/Evo's AWD is nice, but around here, it's not remotely needed IMO.

Thoughts?

If you are looking for a DD with some pickup with MPG look into the GTI. The Package 2 GTI has the best interior by far from the cars above (minus the R32 its basically the same (slightly sportier seats). I have a Stage 2 setup and I get 390-450 miles per tank only slight downfall is that it only take 93.

Performance wise nothing compares the EVO/STI but the GTI has a great mix of both. The R32 IMO is way to over priced, If you want to check out my GTI let me know or test drive it at the dealer I promise youll love it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nZTHuuBO9JI

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/28/volkswagen-gti-named-automobile-magazines-car-of-the-year/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/112_0412_2006_volkswagen_gti/index.html

You seem to be in the same spot I was , I test drove all the cars you have listed the evo, sti , and the gti and r32. If you already have a daily driver at home and your looking for performance/ daily driver the evo gets it hands down in my book. depending how much power you want to make ect, the evo has everything thrown into one car. its fast, it can handle, and it has looks, after driving one in person im sure you will get over how cheap the inside is. the car is just a blast to drive even in stock form, the sti and evo in stock form feel almost like the same car just with differnet exhaust tones. If you are more of a subaru guy get the sti if you are a mitsu guy go for the evo. either way these 2 cars are just hands down adove anything else in the class.

What's teh stage 2 kit add to the GTI? how much power and performance and for how much money?

I agree on the R32 side regarding price....like the STi's/Evo's AWD is nice, but around here, it's not remotely needed IMO.

Thoughts?

I am not sure on how much you plan to mod , but awd is everything if you are getting a turbo car, grip, exiting corners, off the line, you need awd.

What does your car run?

With a Boostleak and blown clutch

Thats a Vf39(STi Turbo) + 2.0@19psi

Modding an STi to low 12's is not hard.

Exhaust

Injectors

18g

Tune

You could keep the stock IC if you really wanted.

With a Boostleak and blown clutch

not to mention driver mod.

My vote is evo for track times, sti for stock power and nice daily..

and r32 if you have the money.

and if you want bang for the buk, and are thinking about driver a caliber.. might as well by a built-boosted civic.

Thoughts?

APR Stage 1 chip gives you: 252hp/303lb-ft

APR Full TBE/Stage2 flash adds 22hp and 25lb-ft

Stage 2 needs a CAI

So my setup is around 274hp/328lb-ft getting ~33-35mpg

You seem to be in the same spot I was , I test drove all the cars you have listed the evo, sti , and the gti and r32. If you already have a daily driver at home and your looking for performance/ daily driver the evo gets it hands down in my book. depending how much power you want to make ect, the evo has everything thrown into one car. its fast, it can handle, and it has looks, after driving one in person im sure you will get over how cheap the inside is. the car is just a blast to drive even in stock form, the sti and evo in stock form feel almost like the same car just with differnet exhaust tones. If you are more of a subaru guy get the sti if you are a mitsu guy go for the evo. either way these 2 cars are just hands down adove anything else in the class.

100% agree

I am not sure on how much you plan to mod , but awd is everything if you are getting a turbo car, grip, exiting corners, off the line, you need awd.

100% agree

My reason for getting the GTI is super MPG, best interior, and Ive done all the mods to it that I can and I am satisfied. The next step is Stage 3 and its just not worth it atm (FWD/Price). I was looking at the EVO and I felt the more I would have modded it the more of a pit it would become because I would always want more, atleast with the GTI there is a point where it becomes stupid with the EVO you can add add add forever.

not sure what your budget is but my friend is selling his evo in NC it has 38k org miles, its an 03 in white car is flawless clean, just with BPU mods

hks 264/264 cams

hks headgasket

3" burshur exhaust

3" burshur downpipe

3" 02 housing

arp headstuds

evo9 turbo

the brembo brakes have been fixed by dealer because of there chipping issues

has a dynoflash mail in flash

pte 720cc injectors

jdm rear lights

mr front headlights HID

act 2600 clutch

burshur hardpipes

burshur font mount

evo9 bov.

all defi din guage 60mm boost, egt, watertemp w/ defi unit prolly 800$ in guages, and not in the pillar ricey spot.

aem wideband.

he has took it to the track 5 times he said, the car is a consistant 11 second car, and he drives it back and forth from work everyday.

he is asking 20k obo he has every recipt, and stock part also.

APR Stage 1 chip gives you: 252hp/303lb-ft

APR Full TBE/Stage2 flash adds 22hp and 25lb-ft

Stage 2 needs a CAI

So my setup is around 274hp/328lb-ft getting ~33-35mpg

100% agree

100% agree

My reason for getting the GTI is super MPG, best interior, and Ive done all the mods to it that I can and I am satisfied. The next step is Stage 3 and its just not worth it atm (FWD/Price). I was looking at the EVO and I felt the more I would have modded it the more of a pit it would become because I would always want more, atleast with the GTI there is a point where it becomes stupid with the EVO you can add add add forever.

yup I agree with you man, it all just depends on what you want with the car and what you want to do with it.

Think of the Top Gear "Cool Wall" in this situation. The STI and EVO are only cool if a hot girl drives them, otherwise you look like a young whipper snapper. The Dodge, is, well, just no. I've driven a Mazdaspeed3 before, and while fun, it has no soul. The R32 sounds amazing and is fun, but way overprices. By this logic, the GTI is the winner, but only if you get a newer one.

...in the end, if it were me, though, I'd get the STI over an older GTI.

The new WRX is getting upgraded to something like 250HP for next year. The me that wouldn't be bad on the budget, it would have good power, AWD, and I think it's a good looking sedan.

The MS3 is a great car. It's a hair cheaper than the Caliber SRT4 and is a great all-around car. The Caliber can be fun to drive, has more aggressive looks, and similar interior space. While the GTI would get the best MPG and is a great all-around car too. It might have less interior space if it's a 2-door hatch, but that's up to you if you need the room.

Personally, I would love an Evo, but I think they're way over priced. For that price I would get a new CTS and save the rest of my money.

The STI and EVO are only cool if a hot girl drives them, otherwise you look like a young whipper snapper.

What? I know of barely any chics that drive either car, however the ones that do kick ass. What do you consider young whipper snapper also? I don't know too many guys under 21 with an Evo due to the price.

edit: if you are just referring to the general looks of the car, then de-wing it and it loses a lot of the "ricey" look.