Car Buying Time: <Insert> Your Thoughts Here

TTQ B4U

Think of the Top Gear "Cool Wall" in this situation. The STI and EVO are only cool if a hot girl drives them, otherwise you look like a young whipper snapper. The Dodge, is, well, just no. I've driven a Mazdaspeed3 before, and while fun, it has no soul. The R32 sounds amazing and is fun, but way overprices. By this logic, the GTI is the winner, but only if you get a newer one.

...in the end, if it were me, though, I'd get the STI over an older GTI.

I do not know anyone thats under 20 with an evo unless mommy or daddy bought it for them. Performance can not be beat with an evo or sti hands down.

I do not know anyone thats under 20 with an evo unless mommy or daddy bought it for them. Performance can not be beat with an evo or sti hands down.

Not sure why both you and the guy before you thought "under 20 or 21" but I was just speaking figuratively of how the EVO and STI have somewhat become a fantasy of young guys rather than a true performance car desired for its performance purposes. I think it's much more prevalent in the EVO than the STI, if at all. The new EVO, however, is much more mature and "aged-wine" looking. That may have somewhat to do with price, but it seems to hit the spot much more than the EVO IX or whatever the previous number was.

I was just speaking figuratively of how the EVO and STI have somewhat become a fantasy of young guys rather than a true performance car desired for its performance purposes.

I'm not following ya. People that buy Evos buy them for one purpose, Performance. And the new Evolution X is more "refined" thats why they aren't selling. People that want "refined" don't buy Evos. CT9As (Evo 7,8,&9) are built to go fast and turn well, period.

btw, speaking in terms of performance name another car on that list that has gone 9s, full bodied, full interior, no nitrous, street car.

I'm not following ya. People that buy Evos buy them for one purpose, Performance. And the new Evolution X is more "refined" thats why they aren't selling. People that want "refined" don't buy Evos. CT9As (Evo 7,8,&9) are built to go fast and turn well, period.

btw, speaking in terms of performance name another car on that list that has gone 9s, full bodied, full interior, no nitrous, street car.

*sigh*

Again, I'm speaking figuratively of the soul of the car. People buy EVOs for performance, obviously, but they ARE buying it because it's an EVO. They want the name and image associated with it.

I'm not bashing it and I'd love to have one and capable of it, but that's just the vibe I feel.

I heard that today too. Saw the new Mazda 6 too. Hell of a sharp ride. Tempting too.

Subi may as well upgrade it as most are bumping the power aftermarket wise anyway.

I talked with the guys at Auto Assets today regarding mods for the VW. Seems they way I'd want it it will cost about $2,300 in mods. That's a software flash, Intake, Turbo back exhaust. Bumps it up to about 260hp at the wheels. Add in another $750 for a full front mount intercooler.

Not bad bump. Not sure what she'll run like then, but $3k is a chunk of change that my initial thoughts are inclined to throw towards another choice.

The bummer is I priced one out fairly well loaded without the Navi and she topped out at over $31k and they weren't real keen on dealing at MAG. I wasn't pushing it, but honestly for $31k, while it's a nice car, certainly one of more dressed up ones, I'm going 1-2 year old EVO or STi and still have $2-$3k in my pocket. :eek:

In reality, the MS3 may be the best deal overall. I can always do a turbo back and front mount intercooler if needed.

The new WRX is getting upgraded to something like 250HP for next year. The me that wouldn't be bad on the budget, it would have good power, AWD, and I think it's a good looking sedan.

The MS3 is a great car. It's a hair cheaper than the Caliber SRT4 and is a great all-around car. The Caliber can be fun to drive, has more aggressive looks, and similar interior space. While the GTI would get the best MPG and is a great all-around car too. It might have less interior space if it's a 2-door hatch, but that's up to you if you need the room.

Personally, I would love an Evo, but I think they're way over priced. For that price I would get a new CTS and save the rest of my money.

I would buy CPO used if you are thinking of the GTI. I got my 2006 GTI in 2007. It was CPO, 14k miles, 18" wheels, DSG, Package 1(sunroof and sirius), rubber mats, trunk liner=$26,000 exactly NEW sticker, I got it for $19,750.

You can get just as good of a deal now, 1 year old car, loaded, for many thousands off..........

And Auto Assets is smoking crack......You wont be at 260WHP with stg 2. You will have at most 240 WITH a FMIC. TQ however will be over 300.

You can find used exhausts/DP's for under 1k, a chip will be about 650, Intakes do nothing for performance, you will need a Diverter Valve=300ish, and a PCV fix=100ish, and FMIC is about 1000. So you are right with the 3k, but a little different way of getting there.

Hope this helps.

Look at the R32, can be had for about 25-27k with under 5k miles on them.

+ 1 LGT. It's a really nice DD.

I have a 08 STI. It's a base model and I paid around 33K brand new three months ago.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you can get the base model even cheaper now since they are going to launch the 09 model in like four months (I think).

Raw HP potential should not be the great decider. Test drive each candidate and really get a feel for them.

this is the truth , take one weekend to go out and test drive all of them, its going to be hard to fine evo and sti's at used lots tho.

My guess is that the Speed would get the best mileage out of the bunch (fwd, lighter; vdubs are generally chunky) and as previously mentioned is responsive to bolt ons. I think as far as practicality is concerned stick with the Speed or one of the Volkswagens. Price goes to the Speed3 for sure (new vs. new) unless you find an older evo for cheap? The good thing is that they are all fucking nice cars so you can't lose.