dyno tuning my 99 ta 402stroker motor

Guest LtBlue99TA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my un-biased 2 cents :) IMO there are a few very good Columbus LSx tuners so going out of town in search of a "Great" tune really isn't necessary. Now, that being said, the biggest difference between tuners really isn't even the tuners themselves IMO. All of them can say they have tuned this or that and all are familiar with the specific set-up each chose to use (EFI Live / HP Tuners / LS1 Edit / DiabloSport / Etc) so no worries about somebody "Learning" on your car.

Now, you assume going in that the car is going to work perfectly and you are not going to have any mechanical issues -- that part is done and it is time to start tuning. As most of us know, that is almost never a safe assumption once things start to get pushed. The absolute best tuner on the planet doesn't do a whole lot of good if he doesn't have the spare parts in stock, a great mechanic to help diagnose a possible issue, and the ability to swap something out or replace something on the spot instead of instantly being dead-in-the-water with the car strapped to a dyno. Hours sitting on the dyno = $$$ The longer a problem takes to get figured out, regardless of severity, the more costly it is. Many times a tuner's "Best guess" as to what might be causing a problem might not be as accurate as a mechanic that works on the cars 24/7. Having both (Great tuner and mechanic(s) ) present and able to help quickly diagnose a problem, fix it, and continue on with tuning is an invaluable asset that is often overlooked when deciding on where to go for the tune itself.

Some of the shops and individuals mentioned in this thread have such assets and others do not. Not passing judgement on anyone (Good / Bad / Otherwise) but I am happy to say that here at IPS we are blessed with great techs and a couple VERY good tuners. We stock many many LSx parts and keep many "Test" stock parts around to help quickly trouble-shoot possible problems and correct them.

My advice would be to ask wherever you plan on taking the car what their abilities are beyond just tuning :) Go and visit your top 1 or 2 and make a decision after checking out the facilities and meeting the people and getting a solid quote.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

they (ips) quoted me 450 for the reflash of my car. yes dyno tune... i can't remeber what the price was from dyno brian b/c i erased it. i've not dealt much with ips other then them trying to get me a quote on changing timing chain guides on my old mustang (there price was like 1300 and mike wards was 687) and then trying to get me a price on a cam/package in which they havn't beat texas performances price on... i know price isn't everything but when you can get the same part, at a chaeper price, would't it make since to go with that...

anyways, i'm not here to argue whos better nor cheaper.. i just said my opion and unless someone proves me other wise (ips cough cough) then i'll continue to think this about them....

My advice would be to ask wherever you plan on taking the car what their abilities are beyond just tuning :) Go and visit your top 1 or 2 and make a decision after checking out the facilities and meeting the people and getting a solid quote.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

i agree 100% with this quote...

they (ips) quoted me 450 for the reflash of my car. yes dyno tune... i can't remeber what the price was from dyno brian b/c i erased it. i've not dealt much with ips other then them trying to get me a quote on changing timing chain guides on my old mustang (there price was like 1300 and mike wards was 687) and then trying to get me a price on a cam/package in which they havn't beat texas performances price on... i know price isn't everything but when you can get the same part, at a chaeper price, would't it make since to go with that...

We don't tune mustangs very often (We are not nor ever will be considered a "Ford" shop) and depending on your specific set-up that might have had something to do with it (Aren't you getting a cam upgrade?). Our LSx tunes range from $350-450 depending on the vehicles set-up (Including dyno time of course). I am told pretty much weekly that this is $100-150 cheaper than what Brian charges (I have no idea what he charges but that is what I am told) and I am sure it is more than what others may charge.

Oh, and comparing our parts price quotes to one of the cheapest online retailers on the intraweb does not make us "Expensive" lol.

Jeff

We don't tune mustangs very often (We are not nor ever will be considered a "Ford" shop) and depending on your specific set-up that might have had something to do with it (Aren't you getting a cam upgrade?). Our LSx tunes range from $350-450 depending on the vehicles set-up (Including dyno time of course). I am told pretty much weekly that this is $100-150 cheaper than what Brian charges (I have no idea what he charges but that is what I am told) and I am sure it is more than what others may charge.

Oh, and comparing our parts price quotes to one of the cheapest online retailers on the intraweb does not make us "Expensive" lol.

Jeff

never said you was expensive... just not as cheap on the same part. and it wasn't a tune, it was a timing chain guide change.

Price alone shouldn't account for everything.

So many people need to learn this. Do it right the first time. If the place can't get the product you want, don't settle on something else (which I learned the hard way). Or if you can't afford it then wait. You get what you pay for. Eric at IPS has done a good job tuning my car so far. After talking to Brian lately for just a bolt on car IPS does seem to cheaper but when you get up to a heads cam car the price is about even from what I have seen and been quoted. Again, it's not all about price.

I assure who ever he decides to have the tune it will be professional as always. IPS does have a bigger staff and facility then us at Dyno Tune but we do everything we can for our customers and those who have had problems on the dyno know Brian is the first to help. I do agree with IPS you should call and talk to each shop that you have in mind and see what is best for you.

but having someone at the helm with a substaintial amount of time is a good thing.

Yes it is. Eric has been tuning LSx cars since before everyone in city save for maybe Bill Wright who has always done it "On the side" w/LS1 Edit IIRC. Eric bought HP Tuners for himself and Sam back in 2003-04 (Same day we installed the cam in his car here) and then "Bought-in" with HP Tuners when he decided to work for DynoTune since Brian didn't do anything with GM cars. It wasn't much of a secret how well his personal Z06 and cars like Sam's Z06 and Linn's Z28 and Tilley's Z06 ran and then it just kind of went from there.

If twenty other people also tuned LSx stuff back then I will apologize in advance as I either never heard of them or I am getting old and have forgotten all about them lol.

Jeff

Yes it is. Eric has been tuning LSx cars since before everyone in city save for maybe Bill Wright who has always done it "On the side" w/LS1 Edit IIRC. Eric bought HP Tuners for himself and Sam back in 2003-04 (Same day we installed the cam in his car here) and then "Bought-in" with HP Tuners when he decided to work for DynoTune since Brian didn't do anything with GM cars. It wasn't much of a secret how well his personal Z06 and cars like Sam's Z06 and Linn's Z28 and Tilley's Z06 ran and then it just kind of went from there.

If twenty other people also tuned LSx stuff back then I will apologize in advance as I either never heard of them or I am getting old and have forgotten all about them lol.

Jeff

Not saying personal experience isn't applicable, but there are thing's that you pickup operating a dyno, professionally, for a substantial amount of time. Engines are engines, all are governed by the same laws, its a matter of semantics when it comes to the software.

anyone notice that brian has had alot of +1's and hasnt had to say anything in the thread (that should speak for it self)

What are you trying to say exactly? He has not been on the forum lately?:confused:

Or are you insinuating he in fact is the better option :confused: because he has not replied?

What are you trying to say exactly? He has not been on the forum lately?:confused:

Or are you insinuating he in fact is the better option :confused: because he has not replied?

Brandon, he is just saying that Brian's reputation spoke for itself. I don't think he meant anything by you or Jeff posting.

anyone notice that brian has had alot of +1's and hasnt had to say anything in the thread (that should speak for it self)

Just like Eric hasn't said a word about himself on here either :)

I posted about how good Eric is (Even though most of my advice had nothing to do with who was actually tuning the car) just like Brian's "Spokesperson" (Ef8sirJunkie) posted about Brian.

Nothing to get excited about IMO...

Jeff