Water Treatment Options

HAOLE

I had a guy out tonight and he did a water analysis. He said I have hard water, etc. He wants to do a reverse osmosis system and a water softener, for $2100. I will admit I know nothing about this stuff, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Have you ever noticed (or cared) until he came? If the answer is no, just say no.

I did. I do know I have very hard water. I have to clean out my dishwasher a couple of time per year due to calcium build up in the jets.

We just installed an RO system (reverse osmosis, water softener) system in our house in Maine for $2450 installed. Well water, very brackish...system works awesome.

Water softener uses activated salt tablets to remove particulates and minerals from water, makes it clean and clear...reverse osmosis system "backflushes" filtration system at 2:30am to remove the bad stuff. Only maintenance is $50 worth of salt every 3-4 months, based on usage. It's good for drinking water, but hard water (as you mentioned) also wreaks havoc on metal pipes, fittings, and appliances.

It's a wise investment if you have hard water or any well water source...

We have reverse osmosis filter only on the kitchen sink. We bought it at Home Depot for around $200.00 and bought and installed a water softner system ourselves for around $650.00 including pipes/fittings. It did make a world of difference.