Road Course

04silvrz

the car is my daily, I want different stuff to run on the track vs my Daily Driver stuff. I ran once on Road America and man I destroyed some pads and rotors. I need to be able to use my car to transport my daughter safely.

Good point.

You wussies can come up with all the excuses you want...but here's another chance to put up or shut up. :D

MORPCA is pushing this event pretty hard everywhere because registration is still pretty light and it's only a few weeks out. No requirement to be a PCA member...and $295 for two days at Mid Ohio is damn near a gift as far as pricing goes. (sure it's a Monday Tuesday...call in Dead or something for a couple of days)

Hope to see you guys all there.

http://www.morpca.org/page20/page24/page34/page34.html

the car is my daily, I want different stuff to run on the track vs my Daily Driver stuff. I ran once on Road America and man I destroyed some pads and rotors. I need to be able to use my car to transport my daughter safely.

Got to keep the kids safe - but you will find Nelson is pretty easy on brakes (especially compared to Road America-or Mid Ohio). There's really only two places you use the brakes hard, turn 5 (Oak Tree) and turn 12. You might need a tap into turn 1 and again a tap at the carousel. Of course this is in "enduro" mode - in sprint mode you'll probably be touching the brakes a little at turn 4 and 13 as well, but still not real hard or for a long time. There's also a nice seperation between the two hard useage areas to allow stuff to cool.

At the 24 hr race there we ran Repco Metal Masters (long before all the new Hawk/EBC/etc were available) and could go about 14 hours on the fronts on a 240Z and/or the 300ZX - and the 300ZX would go the entire 24 hours on the rears with no problem.

Slotted or drilled rotors

very bad idea, they crack way easy. regular rotors crack too just not as fast as drilled or as bad. and be sure to season the rotors before you take it out on a track day or you could crack them the first day.

C6 Z06 Rear

http://www.petting-zoo.net/corvette/z06-brake-rotor.jpg

+1 for seasoning rotors (and bedding in new pads-even "street" pads).

Also, PLEASE don't buy the cheap chinese rotors for track use - there is no consistancy in their quality (also be sure you know where the drilling/slotting people get theres if you feel you have to have these "features"). I have recently used a couple sets of the Raybestos "premium" rotors and they have held up very well. You really don't need the drilling or slotting. We have raced on unslotted/undrilled rotors forever with no problems. Run a duct to the inside center of the rotor for some fresh air (vented rotor) or for solid rotors, be sure you duct both sides more or less equally.

Guys I would by Brembos to go with my calipers, but they get pretty hot. I think I need something that will help with cooling, my last set of calipers had to be cut off to change the rotors, the caliper bolt seized.

Use less brake??? (yes, I am a smartass)

Brake ducts are your friends. There are many sources for duct tubing, even ducts (the air scoops) themselves. A few hours routing and tying them up under the front end and you will be in business. I haven't looked closely at the front of a Subi - put in your pic, I see two small black areas under your fog lights that look like good duct openings (potentially).

And finally - anti sieze copound on all brake fasteners!

Steel Bolt + Cast Bracket + Big Heat = siezed parts!!!

The Brembo OEM rotors are very nice, I had a set before and never had any issues with them. They're simple stock type rotors made with much better materials and better venting in them. Also I've never had one bit of trouble with Powerslot rotors.

just some food for thought here, why don't F1, FIM, NASCAR, ALMS, Indy, and many more use drilled or slotted rotors?

3 reasons, first is those holes are the weak link in the rotors

second, those holes or slots reduce surfice area of the rotors and thus reduce braking pad contact zones.

third, drilled holes and slots were done to rotors when brake pad technology was not near what it is today and the gasses formed from the old type of pads would create a cushion of air if you will between the pad and rotor reducing braking ability. with todays pads they don't give off those gasses and don't need the holes in the rotors to get them out of there.

search other forums like http://corner-carvers.com/forums/index.php

and anything else you can find that has a roadracing/autocross section. corvetteforum has alot of good stuff about seasoning rotors and such. if there is a forum for WRX's that has a racing part then chances are someone has posted a DIY brake duct cooler install. Jegs sells the silcone hose in 3 or 4 inch and its 11 feet long. they also sell neoprene but it doesn't take near the heat. the china rotors are OK if you season them right. they are dirt cheep and last just as long as the expensive ones. maybe 10-16 track days. get good pads though, they might only last you 5 track days though. Jegs also sells Wilwood 600 high temp brake fluid, i run that since its local and i don't have to wait 3-4 days on UPS. some of those fluids are uber expensive, $45/12oz

here is a chart of the most recomended brake fluids out for track days

BRAKE FLUID COMPARISON CHART

Brand Wet Boiling Point Dry Boiling Point

Castrol SRF 518°F 590°F

Motul RBF600 420°F 593°F

Wilwood EXP 600 417°F 626°F

AP-600 410°F 572°F

Brembo LCF 600 399°F 600°F

ATE-Super Blue 392°F 536°F

Castrol LMA 311°F 446°F

Ford HD 290°F 550°F

Wilwood 570 284°F 570°F

PFC-Z rated 284°F 550°F

AP-550 284°F 550°F

hey im really interested in getting into road racing, so i would like to go to this. Can any car basically pass tech inspection if it isnt leaking anything and everything works? my car is 100% stock. i saw that you said you can run with a normal saftey harness so i wouldnt need a roll bar or anything for a fun day correct? sorry in advance if im a bit annoying im a noob lol.

hey im really interested in getting into road racing, so i would like to go to this. Can any car basically pass tech inspection if it isnt leaking anything and everything works? my car is 100% stock. i saw that you said you can run with a normal saftey harness so i wouldnt need a roll bar or anything for a fun day correct? sorry in advance if im a bit annoying im a noob lol.

If you're taking about Nelson Fundays, there's no official tech inspection at the event so you basically do your own. So, Yes you could go as the car sits but I'd highly suggest making sure you've got at least fresh brake fluid and pleanty of pad left. That should be good enough for your first time.

is Nelson Ledges the track that just changed ownership? I heard this was the case, also I heard the track was in rough shape? Whats the scoop on this place.

Also with my M3 I had brake problems big time on some tough Michigan tracks. I was running Motul 600 and Hawk HPS + pads. These pads would just get cooked and you would loose tons of brake power. I would go through front pads in two days of tracking. I do brake like a crazy SOB, but the pads would just fall apart.

Well now I got race pads (Performance Friction PFC-01) and the are unbelievable!!! After 2 day they hardly look like they have been used!! Rock hard pedal and no fade, they are a bit tricky to modulate though. I also cut the backing plates off the rotors with tin snips except where the suspension components were close (want to protect from heat). I also put in brake cooling ducts, just got the hose from HRP Racing and build the system myself. Ever since all this NO PROBLEMS at all and the car stops like an monster!

just my advice/experience

I havn't heard the official word but it's being sold. The track is no Mid-Ohio but when I was there last year the surface was fine with only a few bumps, the facilites are not great but they have the basics. Nelson is easy on the brakes so you would be fine there.

I'll let you all know first hand on its condition in a couple of weeks - and it will be worse then than it is now. We're headed up to crew at the 24 hour race the 23rd-25th of this month. The track has had several areas patched, partially paved and ground down over the years - but never a total remake that I can recall in 25+ years I've been going. Word is, if sold, it will get plowed up down to the base and all ned pavement put down - just won't be the same!

If anyone is interrested...We got word the other day from Nelson that their event schedule is still planned to be as-is until the end of the season in November.

We're planning on Sept. 5 Funday trip if you guys would like to come experience some fun.

Andy

Andy,

I am interested in this funday. I have never been to a track with turns before. Would love to give this a try, but would be a total noob :( . Also solid rear axel = fail.

Scott

Andy,

I am interested in this funday. I have never been to a track with turns before. Would love to give this a try, but would be a total noob :( . Also solid rear axel = fail.

Scott

Being a noob the solid axle wont effect you that much. Get the basics down first and if you decide you like road racing then figure out something that handles better. Just go out there and have fun legally at triple digits.

I had a chance to walk the track prior to the 24 hour race last weekend - WOW - even the pavement that was "new" several years ago has multiple patches, most right on the racing line. I can definitely see why they are ready to tear it up and repave. Turn one-two-three has several patches on the racing line. Turn 5 (Oak Tree) looked rough all the way through. We didn't walk all the way to the carousel. The "kink" through turn 13 looked about the same as it had been. That said, we did break a stub axle on the 240Z, a failure we have not had before, but we do not think it was specifically track related. Drivers were still able to turn times comparable to last year. On a "street" suspension, you should not have any real problems - if you've never driven here before it will just seem "normal" to you. If you've driven at Mid Ohio, this will seem like a goat path in comparison. We didn't hear any more specifics about plans over the weekend. Go play while you can! It is still a great drivers course where you will carry a fairly high average speed. Our fastest times were in the low 1:18 range at over 92 mph average speed - a great weekend!!!