F*cking theives

DKilbourne

So I get a call from my wife this morning asking if I had checked my work voice mail yet. She sounded upset, so I thought the worst. Luckily no one had died. Unfortunately some ass had "Gotten ahold of your magnetic strip," so the bank claimed. The dick spent 2,294.29 in a matter of an hour in Arizona. Needless to say we had just sent out checks to our mortgage, condo fees, electric bill, and a few other things this past Thursday through Saturday. Since my wife couldn't check the online statement, which is why she called the bank to begin with, I got on and checked with my # and got to see where and how much money the person had spent. They went to Office Max, Staples, and then to Best Buy. My favorite part is that the dick my two purchases at both Staples and Best Buy within minutes of each other. Needless to say I'm a little pissed off at work and don't have any money in my checking account until this gets cleared up. They said that they would try and get the money back today, since we had sent out all of those checks and the bank didn't want to have to deal with the other establishments on our behalf for all of the bounced checks. F*cking people drive me crazy.

That is exactly why I invested in identity theft protection.

TrustedID

Prevention - sets and renews fraud alerts, fraud monitoring, medical record protection 1 3-bureau credit report each year

Fraud monitoring on Credit cards, public records, social security, bank accounts, medical records

Mail list removal for Preapproved credit and general junk mail.

Identity theft protection and guarantee of $1,000,000

TrustedID

Prevention - sets and renews fraud alerts, fraud monitoring, medical record protection 1 3-bureau credit report each year

Fraud monitoring on Credit cards, public records, social security, bank accounts, medical records

How much is that Mike? I have thought about doing something like that, but just figured it was too expensive.

99% of people who have their CC info stolen is because they let their internet-retarded spouse buy shit online without properly teaching them how to not get suckered. I'd bet $20 its your damn wife's fault.

also, 94% of statistics are made up. this is one.

edit: still, sucks to hear its happened to you. Bank of America has a really tight loss prevention system that I have set to call me and email me even when its just me spending crazily. no need to pay for any other security service

99% of people who have their CC info stolen is because they let their internet-retarded spouse buy shit online without properly teaching them how to not get suckered. I'd bet $20 its your damn wife's fault.

also, 94% of statistics are made up. this is one.

edit: still, sucks to hear its happened to you. Bank of America has a really tight loss prevention system that I have set to call me and email me even when its just me spending crazily. no need to pay for any other security service

First off, she isn't my damn wife she is my wife. Second off, she doesn't buy stuff online. But thanks for your stupid ass insight.

TrustedID

Funny part is that we both have the state issued identity theft protection from when all of the state info was stolen last year. I was an intern at the time for a state agency and my wife is still employed by the state. I guess that didn't work too well. I think I am going to have to call the company which our protection is through and see what they have to say about it.

how did they get your 'magnetic strip"?

Not too sure about his case, but back in South Africa a few years back it was a big deal where you would pay with a card at a restaurant, and the waiter would swipe your card through a card reader that would record all your information, and then ring it up as normal.

Now they are required to swipe your card at the table with a portable scanner, your card never leaves your sight.

ouch man im sorry to hear about that. im very interested in how it happened at staples because when i worked there the security on the credit cards are pretty strict. our system needed the credit card there in physical form. once the card was swiped you then have to punch in the last 4 numbers from the card itself.

hope it all gets sorted out!

This happened to me last Thursday. $20 from some shady online business in SC. Chase alerted me via txt message immediately, so I went to the bank, dealt with my cute banker and had the card canceled before the fucks could take any more! Oh and my $20 is being refunded (big deal, right?)

+rep for chase bank

This happened to me last Thursday. $20 from some shady online business in SC. Chase alerted me via txt message immediately, so I went to the bank, dealt with my cute banker and had the card canceled before the fucks could take any more! Oh and my $20 is being refunded (big deal, right?)

+rep for chase bank

Some company started taking out $70+ a month on one charge, then the other one was always 2.49. They got some $200 before I got my statement. Nat. City refunded instantly, put a flag on any future charges from the same origin. It was international, too, so Natl City would also take international fees. It was refunded fully, as well. It also overdrafted me because they took the money before I deposited into my checking, and it was 3 transactions x 37.00. It was a small mess that was easily taken care of by the one rep I always deal with.

Good news is that this has all been taken care of already by the bank. Had the money back in the account yesterday morning. Only took one day. Still would like to have a nice chat with the people who decided to use our card #. I still hate thieves.

I still kinda wonder whatever happened to checking ID when someone uses a credit card. Go back to that practice and I can bet ya a decent amount of stolen CC usage would decline.

That takes time and effort. The only place that I go that even asks for my ID anymore is Advanced Auto Parts on Georgesville Rd. No other place has even questioned my card for the past 6-8 years.

When i used to work retail people would get pissed when i asked to see ID' date='So to alot of kids ringing you up its not worth the hassle[/quote']

As long as the money isn't coming out of their check, it's not worth the hassle, you are quite right. I think merchants should start treating credit card charge backs just like losing cash from the drawer, then we will see if it's worth it to see ID.

I have a few credit cards and a debit card that I use on a regular basis. All of them are either signed and inked with "SEE ID" on the back, or not signed at all (to be used for this amateur investigation). Between the two, neither have a good reputation for coaxing an ID check. Clerks will even flip it over to look at the back, inspect either a blank strip or "SEE ID", and then hand it back to me without a second thought.