Nissan to install ECO pedal?

BIGGU

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/08/nissan-eco-pedal.jpg

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co said on Monday it has developed an accelerator pedal that can push back on the driver's foot when it detects excess pressure and poor fuel efficiency.

Japan's No.3 automaker said it would install the "ECO pedal", which can be switched on or off by the driver, in its cars from next year. It didn't specify which models would be equipped with the new technology.

Internal research showed that the system, which comes with real-time fuel consumption levels displayed in the instrument panel, could improve fuel efficiency by 5-10 percent depending on driving conditions.

Nissan is taking a three-pronged approach to reducing carbon dioxide emissions, comprising improvements in vehicle technologies, driving behavior and traffic conditions.

Last year, it promised to equip all new cars with the fuel consumption indicator, which indicates the optimal level for fuel-efficient driving by displaying a green, flashing or amber light.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/04/nissan-eco-pedal-promises-to-push-back-against-aggressive-driver/

discuss, i think it should be interesting once its finally released.

I've already got an ECO mode.....it's called a wife. She begins to cry out anytime rpms climb excessively or speeds are not a match for her granny driving tastes.

At least this one comes with an on/off switch. :o

I've already got an ECO mode.....it's called a wife. She begins to cry out anytime rpms climb excessively or speeds are not a match for her granny driving tastes.

At least this one comes with an on/off switch. :o

LOL. I barked the tires on the 1-2 shift in the Wife's Ion this morning and got a really nasty look. :D Hey, I had to get out and traffic was coming fast!

I do that too but she forgives me for the time being as this clutch is totally different than what I'm used to :D

LOL. I barked the tires on the 1-2 shift in the Wife's Ion this morning and got a really nasty look. :D Hey, I had to get out and traffic was coming fast!

I do that too but she forgives me for the time being as this clutch is totally different than what I'm used to :D

I can see it, three years from today... "But honey, I'm still trying to learn this darn clutch!!!" :D

I use the "Whoops, my foot got caught on the floor mat! Darn floor mat!" excuse every couple weeks. ;)

Not a HORRIBLE idea, but that's just silly. Think about the money and time they wasted developing that thing. Who would want that?

Actually, I would. I often wonder and think about what the best application of throttle would be for maximum efficiency. A system like this would be valuable to me.

I can save them tons of research dollars....just put a note on the dashboard of all new cars that says to shift before 3,000 rpms and keep the revs below that for best mpg's. I think this used to be in the form of an annoying shift light in days gone by. Yeah for Nissan.....they can now get a bit more credit for trying to go-green :rolleyes:

If it is feeling good, it is going to cost more. There is you economy guage.