Large Hadron Collider nearly ready....

Aaron

this thread has taken an interesting turn. makes me wonder a couple things...

first, does the doc's opinion that this is "wasted money" stem at all from his beliefs, or more succinctly, his disbelief in the big bang, or is it just a general opinion from an engineering standpoint.

second, are the reactions of the others in this thread to his fairly innocous remarks based on their perception that "everything with the doc is a religious thing", and therefore more vehement than say if v8beast or hal or someone who hasnt been as forthcoming about his views had made the same comments.

curious.

i will say this, doc, you raise hackles almost everywhere you walk in here. right or wrong, i applaud your steadfastness.

Was having these same thoughts when i got to your post. lol Rick was kind enough to answer one of them already. :)

I don't think the chance of failure is as big as you think Rick. They've built similar "contraptions" already. This is just a bigger version.

And people stop worrying about it swallowing us when it turns on. It'll take at least until 2012 before it does that. :rolleyes::D

It won't be a black hole. It'll be a rip into an alternate dimension releasing what some would consider "Hell" onto Earth. Fiery chariots will appear to save some of us. They won't be angels, though. It'll be aliens. Bi-curious aliens with large, very large spikey penis's.. peni... penis'. You get the point.

this thread has taken an interesting turn. makes me wonder a couple things...

first, does the doc's opinion that this is "wasted money" stem at all from his beliefs, or more succinctly, his disbelief in the big bang, or is it just a general opinion from an engineering standpoint.

second, are the reactions of the others in this thread to his fairly innocous remarks based on their perception that "everything with the doc is a religious thing", and therefore more vehement than say if v8beast or hal or someone who hasnt been as forthcoming about his views had made the same comments.

curious.

i will say this, doc, you raise hackles almost everywhere you walk in here. right or wrong, i applaud your steadfastness.

Vehemonce is a bit strong ... my replies were directly in response to a statement, not some possibility of religious underpinning.

The bet is that the particle accelerator outright fails at launch ? It has failed test runs due to magnet problems. Or that specific testing fails ? Or that it fails to destroy us all ?

Fails at launch

As much as I hate to do it, I'm gonna have to agree with Rick. I don't think the first test will be a complete success, unless they've done partial testing of components beforehand. There's A LOT of wiring connections on that machine. I'd imagine that if just one isn't right, it could throw the whole damn thing off.

If every component has been tested beforehand, then I'm sure the testing will go fine.

Either way, I don't see it as a waste of money. Like I said, this shit is epic, and I can't wait to here some results that I probably won't understand anyways.

It's pointless, or even counter-productive, to debate whether it will work on the first attempt. Compared to the size and expense of the total project, a "failed" attempt is fractionally less expensive to overcome. Like said earlier, they've built several similar devices, with huge success, it's just that the Hadron is much larger and faster.

I don't think the first test will be a complete success, unless they've done partial testing of components beforehand.

They are doing tests a plenty. Though who knows what could go wrong.

It's pointless, or even counter-productive, to debate whether it will work on the first attempt. Compared to the size and expense of the total project, a "failed" attempt is fractionally less expensive to overcome. Like said earlier, they've built several similar devices, with huge success, it's just that the Hadron is much larger and faster.

I agree its completely pointless, but its also fun. So Rick, even though I know there is a fine chance this plane won't fly when all the switches get thrown, I'll take you up on your bet, provided you agree to a 24 hour period of "success" starting from the first initial start-up on Sep 10th, and that date changes to the launch, effectively change the date of our bet. I'm not shelling out cash for a gift card based off of a delay. I want a major failure. Say $30 gift card ?

A friendly wager there never was, that didn't end in food. :)

Though doesn't "god" look down on gambling ?

I'll gamble to see two hot chicks do each other.

Though regardless whoever wins this little wager, still loses. Because we are betting on a particle smasher instead of football like normal people. lol.

Though regardless whoever wins this little wager, still loses. Because we are betting on a particle smasher instead of football like normal people. lol.

I wager for $1 that it works, just maybe not within the "inaugural window".

When I say "it works", I'm not claiming it will definitely prove anything new or profound, but that it will function correctly.

I agree its completely pointless, but its also fun. So Rick, even though I know there is a fine chance this plane won't fly when all the switches get thrown, I'll take you up on your bet, provided you agree to a 24 hour period of "success" starting from the first initial start-up on Sep 10th, and that date changes to the launch, effectively change the date of our bet. I'm not shelling out cash for a gift card based off of a delay. I want a major failure. Say $30 gift card ?

I will give you the 24 hour window. But any delay past that is considered a fail. $30??? I am not going to outback to eat a hamburger, $60.00 will get me or you a T-bone for two.

As long as we are betting food God is ok with it. :p

Deal?

As long as they are not running MAC it should work. Maybe.

When the world solves every little mystery what are we going to do then?

Make our own. :)

As for the micro black holes... Those aren't what you have to worry about. It's the Vacuum Bubbles that are nasty. (Not an air vacuum, but an energy vacuum.. confusing, I know) If one of those forms and we exist in a false vacuum, it'll literally POP reality. Supposedly, Earth will cease to exist in an instant.

Of course, with that speed of destruction, I guess there isn't much to worry about that either.. :D

First Collision is Oct 12th. Which is ok, I'll get 3 more RallyXs in before then, and I'll know if I took the Divisional title or not. :)

Can't do it. Knowing there have been launch delays in the past, such as the magnet issues I brought up earlier. In other words we'll have to keep thus to an "I told ya so" kind of payoff.

weak

As long as they are not running MAC it should work. Maybe.

When the world solves every little mystery what are we going to do then?

Well, if the universe really is "constantly growing", than we really can't solve everything.

Not if you're a Baptist. :D:p

A date has finally been announced for the switching on of the world's most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider.

Show related

articlesThe LHC is located in a 27km-long circular tunnel that lies beneath the Franco-Swiss border. The first attempt to circulate a beam of particles around the tunnel will take place on 10 September, according to a Thursday statement by the LHC's builders, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern).

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/emergingtech/0,1000000183,39458691,00.htm